WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Laps, Inc. Autobahn cc

dastuz

Just completed my first real track day. The m3 ran great and I learned a ton. Laps, Inc. Puts on a good event. we all got 5 - 30min sessions. I had an instructor for all runs. Everyone was very helpful and there were amazing cars there.

Big lesson learned. Straight pipes need to have downturns...lol. which I knew, but did not know the urgency. Melted the bumper carrier clips and the bumper... will need to be replaced...ouch.

Ill post some videos and pics once I have them up. Exhaust was a double edge sword... amazing sound (which a friend expertly recorded with mics with the video)... but ruined a bumper.

post-3482-140418120603_thumb.jpgpost-3482-140418122383_thumb.jpgpost-3482-140418123798_thumb.jpg

I've got to get the car ready for the next track event...

either Road America on July 21st-22nd or the Badger Bimmer Aug 4th event at Blackhawk.

To do

-brakes

-exhaust (custom... I've got a sweet idea, just need to find someone who can make it a reality)

-bumper...  Looking for ideas to rig it back up.  I know I'll have to replace it, but for the next event I don't want to spend the money since it's not a show car.

What are you driving?

E30 

Maybe before the bbk upgrade try a more aggressive pad--PFC 08 or 11, or a Hawk DTC 60 or 70.

That my plan for the meantime until I do the BBK

I only need stock sized rotors with good pads for the street but I will need the added heat capacity when im ready to bring it back on track since it will be in the 320-350hp range next time I am there (flamesuit on for adding 150hp between track day 1 and track day 2) 

There will be some additional safety and reliability upgrades before that happens though. 

The stop tech stage 2 did fine. But since the last event was 2.5 hrs... they can only handle so much. I'm thinking ebc for pads and then over the winter doing a csl upgrade for the rotor size and weight.

It's just sad seeing those huge calipers on my buddy's 135i....

An e30 with 320-50hp. Man that has to be quick... and fun. Turbo or na? You do a lot of track events?

At the moment it is floating right around the high 200's based on megasquirt's calculations.

It is a turbo M20.

It is not quick and fun when you drive it immediately after taking a ride in a particular black 135i  O___O

I have been to BFR once and need to do some more. Last time I made plans to attend I was traveling for work. At this point my car is no longer track worthy so it is a matter of bringing it back up to snuff. 

Guest bigjae1976

That's weird...I have the bimmerworld race exhaust which is VERY close to the body being 3.5" in diameter...never had a melting issue. Do you have the heatshields back there?

For brakes, I don't think EBC carries any high temp pads. You can go with PFC PF08s or Pagid Yellows for a pad that lasts a long time. Or PF11s if you want a lot of bite and torque. Of course there are other brands.

You really won't overwhelm the OEM brakes until you start running sticky r-comp tires as long as you have good high temp pads and fresh brake fluid.

I do have the all the oem heat shields. My exhaust is coming straight from section two... no muffler no cat (plus some flames). Going to have king quote me on an idea I have to keep the sound and flow, but move the heat.

Ebc does make pads, I just would have to check on the size. Ill check into the pfc as well. Have you run those before on a high speed track?

I think next year ill run r-compound. The stoptech stg two held up very well with stock non csl rotors, but once I tire up past the star specs I have a feeling ill need more bite. Ill probably go with ate blue for fluid once I do that as well. A big learning curve on the setup and maintenance for long hard track days...

He's a good friend of mine.  That bad boy is very quick...especially for the $$.  I'm lucky my M3 is not my daily... it sucks as a daily now...lol  What else needs to be done to get it ready?

At minimum tires, better pads, and a stronger clutch

On the list is fender flares, extra set of tires and wheels for track use, half cage, sportier seats, ceramic coating of manifold and downpipe components, shrouding of intercooler, oil cooler, and radiator along with a larger radiator, EGT, oil temp, and oil pressure senders to be logged, camber plates, larger brakes, and some additional chassis bracing (custom made lower x-brace and side rail stiffeners) 

How is the low end torque on the S54? I imagine its just fine due to the displacement and VANOS, but it IS a high rpm engine 

I do have the all the oem heat shields. My exhaust is coming straight from section two... no muffler no cat (plus some flames). Going to have king quote me on an idea I have to keep the sound and flow, but move the heat. Ebc does make pads, I just would have to check on the size. Ill check into the pfc as well. Have you run those before on a high speed track? I think next year ill run r-compound. The stoptech stg two held up very well with stock non csl rotors, but once I tire up past the star specs I have a feeling ill need more bite. Ill probably go with ate blue for fluid once I do that as well. A big learning curve on the setup and maintenance for long hard track days...

They can't sell Super Blue anymore=(

http://hooniverse.kinja.com/braking-news-ate-super-blue-illegal-for-u-s-distribut-1153557989/1154188522

From what I have seen Ate Type 200 is exactly the same but  just amber in color. 

I do have the all the oem heat shields. My exhaust is coming straight from section two... no muffler no cat (plus some flames). Going to have king quote me on an idea I have to keep the sound and flow, but move the heat. Ebc does make pads, I just would have to check on the size. Ill check into the pfc as well. Have you run those before on a high speed track? I think next year ill run r-compound. The stoptech stg two held up very well with stock non csl rotors, but once I tire up past the star specs I have a feeling ill need more bite. Ill probably go with ate blue for fluid once I do that as well. A big learning curve on the setup and maintenance for long hard track days...

I would take a look at the Motul RBF600.  Higher boiling point than the ATE blue.  The only drawback being it is not as accessible as the ATE.

At minimum tires, better pads, and a stronger clutch

On the list is fender flares, extra set of tires and wheels for track use, half cage, sportier seats, ceramic coating of manifold and downpipe components, shrouding of intercooler, oil cooler, and radiator along with a larger radiator, EGT, oil temp, and oil pressure senders to be logged, camber plates, larger brakes, and some additional chassis bracing (custom made lower x-brace and side rail stiffeners) 

How is the low end torque on the S54? I imagine its just fine due to the displacement and VANOS, but it IS a high rpm engine 

That is a huge list.  Looks like a pretty expensive list as well.  Are you thinking about a bolt in half cage or a custom cage?  I've been going back and forth.  Most competitions won't allow the bolt in cage, so it makes it almost just for show...  But I know it does provide structure... and a place to bolt the harness to.  Do you have increased engine bay cooling with the turbo set up?

S54 with my set up has plenty of low end for what I need, but yeah, like the M's of old (in light of the I-6TT set ups) it really doesn't wake up until you pop over 4-5K.  On the track its about managing your revs.  Which, once I get and post the videos you'll probably see I didn't do that great of a job of lol.  I spent most of my time just trying to learn the lines and the car balance rather than anything else.  The track was completely new to me, so I had no idea where anything was for several laps.   

I would take a look at the Motul RBF600.  Higher boiling point than the ATE blue.  The only drawback being it is not as accessible as the ATE.

I use to use the Motul RBF600 in my old car... cough... rsx type s (hopefully no one saw that one).  That car has some absolutely terrible brakes.  All that said, it got me into high revving motors more, so I can't complain.  I really should give that another shot though.  King usually has tons of that stuff on hand. 

I'm hoping to bleed my brakes and see if my pedal comes back.  Crossing my fingers that my pads and tires have one more track day in them.

They can't sell Super Blue anymore=(

http://hooniverse.kinja.com/braking-news-ate-super-blue-illegal-for-u-s-distribut-1153557989/1154188522

From what I have seen Ate Type 200 is exactly the same but  just amber in color. 

I didn't know that about the ATE...  I've used it a lot of higher end cars and really liked it.  Thanks for the heads up.

That is a huge list.  Looks like a pretty expensive list as well.  Are you thinking about a bolt in half cage or a custom cage?  I've been going back and forth.  Most competitions won't allow the bolt in cage, so it makes it almost just for show...  But I know it does provide structure... and a place to bolt the harness to.  Do you have increased engine bay cooling with the turbo set up?

S54 with my set up has plenty of low end for what I need, but yeah, like the M's of old (in light of the I-6TT set ups) it really doesn't wake up until you pop over 4-5K.  On the track its about managing your revs.  Which, once I get and post the videos you'll probably see I didn't do that great of a job of lol.  I spent most of my time just trying to learn the lines and the car balance rather than anything else.  The track was completely new to me, so I had no idea where anything was for several laps.   

I would be leaning towards the bolt in cage + modifying the mounting plates for more shear area so they wouldn't just punch through the floor in a rollover. 

Increased engine bay cooling...... hmmmm

welp.

I went with an M42 (E36 318i) radiator to clean up the engine bay a bit. 

sooo,  I have a 4 cylinder radiator, on a 6 cylinder car, with a turbo..  yeeeeeeeah. 

I did upgrade the oil cooler to a 19000 BTU unit (I estimate the stock cooler to be ~5000 BTU). I calculated that 31000 BTU would be required to be absolutely safe for oil temps on my engine, but I did a bar and plate cooler and mounted it directly behind the kidneys so I just want to get the sensor and log oil temps on a hot day around a track to see what else I may need to do. 

A larger radiator is a no-brainer for track duty. That one is unavoidable. I am sure I could get away with what I have now but I want rock solid reliability where the car is hardly breaking a sweat. 

Looking forward to the videos!  I know I would be absolutely lost on any track without instructor guidance. A lot of the braking points and lines were a lot different than I would have expected them to be when I went to BFR