WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Laps, Inc. Autobahn cc

dastuz

Can you run the bolt in for competition or are you not planning on doing that?

The only reason I mentioned the engine bay cooling is that aftermarket turbo or HP increase usually leads to heatsoak in the engine bay and/or in the intake.  It also stresses the components.  A lot of people use block off metal sheets as shields.  They also find ways to direct air flow through the engine bay to help with that as well.  You have pics of the setup?

Oil cooler, bigger radiator... that is huge stuff.  When it comes to tracking, you're 100% right...  overbuild only hurts the budget once.  Destroying the car hurts the budget continually and much worse...lol  You doing custom shrouding?  Sounds pretty cool.  I might have to look into that to direct some air flow.  I measure my intake air temps and I'm usually only 11-22 degrees above outside temps.  Racing I'm usually not over 100, but I'm sure with better flow I could get that down a few and squeeze some more hp out of it (and make it last longer).

Even with an instructor, it's so tough to remember a long track with lots of turns.  How did you like BFR?  That's on my list for 2014. 

Guest bigjae1976

For brake fluid, I'd recommend titanium shims and OEM BMW DOT4 brake fluid. That stuff is actually pretty good and its not too expensive.

Not sure if EBC makes them but you want high temp racing pads. Street pads work using friction and pressure. High temp racing pads use heat to make the friction material stick to the face of the rotor. This is why it is so important to bed in track pads so they work properly. By bedding in the pads, you transfer a layer of pad material onto the rotor and increase the "stick".

If you plan to keep the car, plan to keep taking this car to the track...I'd consider investing in the BBK now. Long term, it will save you money. From a safety perspective, you are much less likely to smoke your pads and boil your brake fluid. Lots of racers get by with OEM brakes but I'd rather have a little overkill in this department.

Do you run a bbk? Did you have the csl size rotors?

Im good with bedding etc. Im pretty stout on the shade tree. I know I need more aggressive pads, but im wondering if the csl upgrqade will be sufficient on the rotors. again, truth be told my drilled rotors and upgraded pads/fluid held up very very well. It wasnt until the last laps and a full day cool down that I noticed how bad they got. Im sure the pads got fairly shaved and that dropped the fluid, which ill test with a full bleed. I know ill want more brake, but im really dreading the price of the bbk. At the same rate, I dont like to go cheap on important stuff. Id like to find out if anyone is running csl/comps with upgraded pads and getting decent results. The power of the brakes is great as is, I just want to make sure im getting good hot lap reliability. Also looking at cooling ducts. Read some good results from those. Autobahn was about 4 sections at around 120mph, so there would be good cooling...lol

Ill be looking on ebc's and hawks sites to see what the specs are for thier bmw applications. Im waiting until I get my exhaust figured out. Have an appointment at king this friday to see if they can turn my idea into reality. The sound of that I-6 with a straight pipe is very addictive. Once I get that done ill figure out if I can rig the bumper back on or get a replacement for a decent price.

Then, ill bleed the brakes and see where I stand. Do you know the boiling point of the oem? I assume thats what youre running? What speeds are you hitting consistently and how long are your runs?

Guest bigjae1976

I have a stoptech BBK on both axles. For the E46 M3, they have the same ST40 caliper and rotor discs on both axles. So I've rotated pads once and still have the same prs of track pads I started with over a year ago. Same rotors too...consumables last a lot longer.

Not sure of the boiling point but I've used OEM brake fluid at Circuit of the Americas where there is a 140mph straight going into a 40mph turn. Also Texas World Speedway with an average speed of over 80mph.

Right now I'm using Stoptech RBF600 which is pretty much the same as Motul RBF600. I bleed every 5-6 months...probably could go a lot longer but I have to meet tech inspection requirements (brake fluid no older than 6 months)

Any thoughts on AP's?  140 - 40 is as good of a test as any.  I'm pretty curious what I can get up to on Road America.  How many pistons are you running on your BBK?  I'll have to look into your prs pads.  They still work for the rare street duty?

Guest bigjae1976

prs = pairs. lol

I have 4 piston stoptechs. I used PF01s in the rear and Stoptech SR34s on the front...they are basically the same pad. Not great for street driving but they'll get you to and from the track.

The AP Racing BBKs are a step up from the Stop Techs. Primary advantage is I believe most of the APs have better pad knockback resistance than the Stoptechs. Not a huge deal though. I love the stoptechs because they make pad changes so easy.

• 1 month later...

Just a heads up for anyone thinking of going 1/2 cage bolt in and wanting to do track days, starting next year PCA ( porsche club of America) is no longer allowing 4 point cages, racing seats, half gutted cars in the advance groups, YOU MUST HAVE A FULL CAGE/ RACE CAR, and I can tell you know that if PCA is doing it with in the next 2 years BMWCCA and others will follow, now it's just a rumor floating around but I guess PCA is going to test this at there next event to see how people react to it, so mod accordingly and read the newest rules for the events your attending, I was instructing at the ITR EXPO at RA in June, and only instructors and advanced group could run slicks, HPDEs are going to get tighter and tighter on rules as cars are getting faster, Just a heads up, my car currently has a 1/2 cage and I'm going to full NASA cage this winter.

Guest bigjae1976

So not even regular street cars? I don't see that happening for HPDEs...that would kill off their advanced groups and in turn kill instructor and racer development, a lot of which happens in the advanced run groups.

PCA might be able to get away with it but I don't see BMWCCA filling up advanced run groups with that policy.