WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

My new 1995 540i/6

BMWben

I also enjoy the gun metal faces, but I am biased from my old set. 

TJ sprayed the faces OEM Arctic Grey before I got them from the guy he sold them to

What color are your bolts in those pictures? I can't tell if they are a bronze or copper. Those wheels look great! I may think about doing something like that then. 

Powdercoating can be done by anyone who has the equipment. I doubt a paint shop would have a setup. You could also just have them painted professionally. You can't powdercoat the centercaps so if you get the faces powdercoated, you will need to find a matching paint for those.

You could get your old bolts zinc coated but it depends on the pricing.

Well those gold bolts are $160 for 120 of them so I'll have to find something more cost effective. I soaked the bolts in vinegar to get the corrosion off and I'm going to use a wire wheel and drill to really get them clean. I'm sure I could get paint them myself but the paint probably wouldn't last to long so I need to figure out some way to do that. So what I'm thinking is refinish the faces to give them a nice shine, paint the centers gun metal grey, and get my bolts gold somehow.    

• 2 weeks later...

I got a little done on my car this week, I had dropped her off at a shop last Sunday to get the drive shaft work done. Picked her up this Wednesday and the guy who did the work told me the brakes had seized up bad. I somehow got her back to my grandparents place (brakes a smoking) and proceeded to order new calipers for the front. I started on the job last night, got the calipers off easy but the rotors and mounting bracket nuts would not budge. 3c158157e4636a65c3a2bf3849b35f4b.jpg7c36db4a07b32a95aac70b443b88e306.jpg

So I slept on it and picked up a blow torch this morning and gave it another go but still got no where. I decided to just try putting on the new calipers and just see what happens.

0cd3441f27a9c93528fcfa4db91ca2d7.jpg

I got the new calipers on and started to bleed the brakes and the bleeder screw on the rear passenger caliper decided to break clear off. Looks like I get to replace those one too. Maybe I can get it done next weekend but you never know. At least I finally got a chance to give her a good washing.

3a65247b8b7603dd0a7c0a078d2a9ee1.jpg

Finally got the car rolling last night! I threw on the back calipers and bled the brakes. Everything seemed to be in working order so I drove her back to school. I can't tell if the problems are completely fixed, there are is some noises the car still makes but they were probably there before and I'm not used to them. Maybe the new parts just need to be broken in a little, who knows. I can look into it some more this winter when I have time and money. At least I have my baby back for now at least.

Probably still suspension bits that need replacement, but awesome!

That is true, I'm going to start saving for those so I can get it done. Probably just have the shop that did my drive shaft stuff do it because you have to have an engine hoist and I've never done it before. Unless we can possibly do it when I'm home but $$$ 

Again, when you are ready to trade cars. You know where to find me

I don't think I could fit all my crap for school in a E30 for the drive down here. What do you get on the highway with a boosted M20? 

Also I've run into a slight paint problem. When she was sitting around for such a long time the sun and probably snap from the trees started bubbling the clear coat a bit. Here are a couple example pics.

2014_10_26_12_25_10.jpg

2014_10_26_12_25_23.jpg

2014_10_26_12_25_29.jpg

There are probably around 6 on the hood and one on the roof. I was thinking about trying to wet sand it with 2000 grit but would that leave it looking terrible? I've never dealt with anything like this so I don't know how to get the best result. Any suggestion? 

• 1 month later...

Bad news everyone, problems have come up again and you guessed it....their with the brakes. So I was going to drive over to my grandparents place for the day and when I pressed in the brake to stop the car from rolling the brakes froze up pretty much exactly as they did before I replaced all the calipers. I haven't noticed any significant problems with the brakes before today. For all I know everything else in the brake system needs to be replaced but I wanted a second opinion so what do you guys think?   

Is the pedal overly firm or does it feel normal when the brakes locked up?  If the pedal is normal but all of your calipers seize then you need a new master.  If the pedal is rock solid then you have a booster issue.

Talking on the phone last night I think he said the peddle got firmer, but I'll wait for Ben to confirm. 

The booster is easy to diagnose.  With the car off, push the pedal a few times to firm it up then, while holding the pedal like you were sitting at a stop light, turn the car on.  The pedal should drop, if not then it's a bad booster.  The hose going to the booster can also be suspect if it is too soft and pinching shut.