WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

1978 e21 m20 turbo swap, AKA What did I get myself into

bfinley

Take pic of passenger side, then switch seats to take pic of drivers side?  I have dark blue seats in my vert that are in good shape if you are looking for a temporary solution to take some pics but I don't want to sell them.  What about high quality seat covers like bavauto sells?  They install nicely and don't look like covers.  They are kinda pricey but in this case would be well worth it.

Does anyone have a drivers seat that isn't torn?

My insurance decided that it cant be insured as a "classic" with the cracked dash and torn seat.... so that they can jump my premium from 100 dollars a year to 560 a year...

I'm going to make the dash at least look fixed... but I don't have a seat to put in.

I have my stock seats. I have recaro's in. So I have no use for the stock seats. They are up in the rafters of my 2nd garage. I can check for tears if you would be interested. They are black. I have both. I may have a bench for the rear as well.

My insurance decided that it cant be insured as a "classic" with the cracked dash and torn seat.... so that they can jump my premium from 100 dollars a year to 560 a year...

I'm going to make the dash at least look fixed... but I don't have a seat to put in.

I have hobbyist plates. But how do you go about getting the insurance company to insure the car as a classic?

I have hobbyist plates. But how do you go about getting the insurance company to insure the car as a classic?

Mine has Minnesota collector plates... And I guess that based on age and condition they have a classic level of coverage for cars that don't get driven often...

Mine has Minnesota collector plates... And I guess that based on age and condition they have a classic level of coverage for cars that don't get driven often...

I am going to look into that. I've owned my 320i restored since 2007. And have been driving it since 2009. I have only put on 9k for miles.

Well I went to the shop to pull the seats

3661DB80-3F69-4415-908C-C3F8B6A894B5.jpg

Guess I got a little carried away

FD4221B2-270F-462D-A035-EB3541D6F148.jpg

50949B63-4D1C-4724-A516-A6D0169470E5.jpg

Still need to get that layer or black tar paper stuff up but it got cold in the shop and I switched to helping my buddy Damien ruin the fenders on his subaru to fit a set of wheels, more to come tomorrow.

Thank you to everyone that offered seats, I won't be trying to outwit the insurance company just yet

^

That is on the list of options, I think some of the guys might be buying a shop welder. Or I might bite the bullet and buy the whole thing myself...

No new pictures, put the car up on jack stands so I can start disassembling and getting ready to pull the motor.

I found a source for floor pans, planning to order those today or tomorrow.

My shopmates have issued a 200 day build challenge to get the car done by the campus Automotive Enthusiast Club fall show...

Gonna be a lot of sleepless weekends to pull thAt off but it's doable

Currently waiting for the rest of my shopmates to show up then head to Dubuque to buy a Hobart handler 140.

I had an epiphany last night as I was about to buy the outrageously expensive floor pans. I'm going to build them myself. Sheet steel and tubing is cheap. And I've got the time might as well save the money for things that are harder to do on my own.

My parents are in town today so I have to wait till Sunday to spent some time in the shop getting up the last of the black tar paper, unbolting the exhaust, making cardboard patterns of the needed steel plates...

Awesome!  Key to flux core welding is the distance/stickout from the gun to the workpiece.  Too much or too little will not weld well, get it right and it works awesome.  Just experiment with different settings and stickout lengths.  If it is like mine there are some rough guidelines on the inside of the wire spool door for voltage/wire speed/stickout.

John, that's good to know ! We're planning to get a gas tank on it pronto, but I also intend to use the flux core wire while I can.

Everyone at the shop is planning projects to brush up rusty welding skills before actually attacking our cars. I'll be fabbing up bases for the seats that came out of the e21 to have shop furniture.

My parents came to visit and hauled a bunch of stuff down for me including a new heat gun which made scraping the floors super easy!

7EE5AE39-6757-4A09-BF71-6CC3221D80AB.jpg

I'll have to up load more pictures from my camera later.

In the mean time inspirational e21's with fender flares

A3C60503-E96A-4028-AFC0-A4655C088295.png

28CDA60D-9E50-4009-9BF0-204D372C8781.png

Well I decided to spend the weekend pulling the motor, and help do head gaskets on one car and install coilovers on another... Busy busy.

After two days of shop shenanigans and working in a shop barely above freezing All that did get accomplished, and I discovered that the previous owner welded the bumper to the fenders and the buried the joint under a quarter inch of bondo... Not amused

ebebe3a3.jpg

A2A33141-9A8C-4D2C-A461-C5259126F26F.jpg

F26DDB8F-8766-4076-B344-747A0ABD9A0C.jpg

C91C87BB-9969-44A7-BD4A-DFCB7240D034.jpg

959BF146-4525-4A51-B142-415C8459D0DE.jpg

9D890F4C-461C-4B25-84EE-37DD1CDC4FA4.jpg

Well I decided to spend the weekend pulling the motor, and help do head gaskets on one car and install coilovers on another... Busy busy.

After two days of shop shenanigans and working in a shop barely above freezing All that did get accomplished, and I discovered that the previous owner welded the bumper to the fenders and the buried the joint under a quarter inch of bondo... Not amused

Weight savings, no bolts needed.

Looking good!  I am off tues-thurs this week so I will try to make a template of the e30 wheel arch. 

Is that Miata owned by a guy named Chris?

John at least they could have done a better job with the welds ! that template would be awesome so I can move on those kamotors flares.

Snap, truth about miata guys. This one belongs to a local tuner, Matt schreck. It's affectionately named the unicorn and is going to get giant googly eyes and rainbow decals