WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Dd e21

Bassboy3313

Hey. I am new to this forum and figured I would check it out. I have an 83 320i E21 that I currently daily drive. I picked it up and it didnt run well whatsoever. I drove it this way for awhile until I finally had the time to work on it. I have to tell you that it takes AWHILE to get used to working on a k-jetronic system. I couldnt figure out the problem for the life of me. I then started reading up on bimmerforums and just dove right in. I redid the timing, adjusted valves, rebuilt the warm up regulator, installed new thermo time switch and cold start injector, and did a tune up. It still had a hell of a time staying running and driving down the road. Last resort was playing around with the fuel mixture screw to see what happens. It didnt wanna budge so I sprayed it with carb cleaner and gave it another shot. It cracked loose and I adjusted it until, what do ya know, it runs beautifully! I am stoked! pair that with an upgraded cap/rotor, msd coil and wires, and AR15 racing plugs and she purrs amazingly and pulls hard.

Well thats the story of my experiences so far with this car. Well, enough witn the talking. Onto the pictures. Thanks.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 9 months later...

Hey guys! I just finished my century turbo kit installation yesterday. Here is a list of what I did as well ...

Century Turbo Kit

Volvo 240 Turbo AFM

Volvo 240 Turbo FD

Volvo 240 Turbo WUR

VW Braided SS Injector Lines

I was having issues starting the car yesterday. It would start, idle up to 1100 rpm and then die. Eventually it was to the point that it would just crank and crank and wouldnt fire. Sagaris came over this morning and we messed around with it some more. We noticed that a puff of smoke came from around the cold start injector on the manifold, so we figured there had to be a vacuum leak there. Sure enough there was. I got a new o-ring and studs and reinstalled it. When cranking this time, we turned the dizzy until she fired up and idled. WOOHOO were we excited!!

Once we got it running, we then fine tuned the timing and the air/fuel ratio. All seemed to be perfect, smooth acceleration and everything. Until we shut it off.

We shut the car off, let it cool a little, and topped off the fluids for a test drive. When I went to start it up again, crank, crank, crank, crank, ... no fire! GAAAHHH!!!!! We had it! I guess thats the joys of k-jet. Lol.

We started messing with the air/fuel adjustment and timing again with no luck. Just keeps cranking and no firing. After a good half hour of fiddling, I noticed that the fuel pump wasnt buzzing anymore for a couple seconds after cranking. Something wasnt triggering the fuel pump to come on anymore. Pulled an injector and cranked the engine over, no fuel. We then jumpered the fuel pump and fuel came spraying out of the injector. So, the pump is good, the wiring or something that tells pump to come on when ranking wasnt right. we tested the pulse sender for continuity incase it shorted out somehow, but that was good. We came back from the e30 et together and tried it one more time. Low and behold, the fuel pump was buzzing again. How does this happen, i dont know. All I can think of is that the impulse sender plug came loose from turning the dizzy. So now its back to square one with air/fuel adjustment and timing.

Sorry for the long rant, just thought I would fill everyone in on whats going on.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

SHE RUNS!!! I put some new spark plugs in since the old ones were mighty roasted and cranked the fuel adjustment screw on the fuel distributor/airflow meter about 12 turns to the lean side and she finally started. Idles at 900 rpm, afr hovering around 14.7, and vacuum at 19 at idle. Couldnt ask for anything better. Today I got the timing dialed in and I took it for a little test drive. Its loud (downpipe only for now), stinky, and AWESOME!! I didnt hammer on it too much, since I didnt wanna lose my hearing. Hopefully this week I can get it to the exhaust shop to finish up that and she should be ready for some fine tuning. Turbo k-jet FTW!! :P

• 3 weeks later...

Exhaust was done this past tuesday and sounds awesome! Its a 2.5" downpipe made from an 09 Dodge Challenger exhaust:p that mates up to a flex pipe. From there its 2.5" all the way back to a Vibrant stealth muffler tuckedback a bit. This thing pulls way harder than I ever thought it would. I'm currently running at 9psi with an open wastegate that screams under boost. Might throw on the wastegate silencer that came with the kit. Lol. I am real happy with the outcome. Especially since its turbo kjet that everyone shys away from.

Definitely have to make a shout out to Brian for all the help he gave me while doing the work. Big Thanks!!!