WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

1987 325e. Eventually Boost+M50 Swap

Guest Laishes

Do the "i" head swap and keep the eta bottom end for sure!  I would highly recommend to replace the valve seals while the head is off.  Can you replace the rod bearings while the crack is still in?  If so, do that as well.

I have a 524td manifold if you're interested.  You'll have to source some adapters to make it work.  A guy on r3v just sold some.

I would keep the metal bumpers.  The rear sits a little higher so it is more aerodynamic because racecar.

What are you going to do for a tune?

Guest Laishes

Going to tune on megasquirt hopefully! What's the benefit of the 524d manifold? I haven't done extensive engine work before only replaced headgaskets and done timing a few times so I'm unsure about the valve seals and bearings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest Laishes
Do the "i" head swap and keep the eta bottom end for sure!  I would highly recommend to replace the valve seals while the head is off.  Can you replace the rod bearings while the crack is still in?  If so, do that as well.

I have a 524td manifold if you're interested.  You'll have to source some adapters to make it work.  A guy on r3v just sold some.

I would keep the metal bumpers.  The rear sits a little higher so it is more aerodynamic because racecar.

What are you going to do for a tune?

How much are the adapters going for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest Laishes

Due to the suggestions of a few forum members I think I am going to M50 swap rather than do the 2.7i conversion. The m50 swap has been covered multiple times and in reality it shouldn't be too much more work. Parts are more readily available and it will be able to handle the boost a lot better due to the fact it has twice as many valves. My bottom end also has 280k on it so I'd rather not push my limits.

Edit:

Could someone change the build title for me? :)

Guest Laishes

Is this a correct parts list? what else will I need?

m50 longblock. + all accessories (sensors, intake manifold, etc etc.). preferably non-vanos but either will work. Ideally out of a E34 525i (I need this oil pan for clearance). I don't need a transmission or exhaust; I will be reusing my Getrag 260.

Special transmission mounts + bracket. GunMetalGrey might sell these?

e36 engine mount arms with e28 535i motor mounts (should I buy these new online or?)

I can reuse my e30 driveshaft because I will be reusing my g260 trans?

late model e30 coolant expansion tank 88+

brake booster? or relocate?

http://www.e30dohc.c...e=Brake_Booster

E36 steering rack +???or is it necessary?

And some misc items:

325es/325is/318is:

Sand Beige Sport Seats (in good condition, will give more money if they are heated.)

E36:

Sand Beige Vader seats (in good condition, will give more money if they are heated.)

325es:

Red Bumper Front Valence

Note:I will not need the following if I got ahold of an m50 from a e34.

E34 525i oil pan, dipstick tube, dipstick, oil pickup tube

E34 525i wiring harness

E34 throttle cable

Guest Laishes

Uhhhhhhhh... janky!!!

IMG_1566.jpg

IMG_1567.jpg

Headers from??

IMG_1565.jpg

Zinnoberrot!

IMG_1569.jpg

Theres my crank case breather hose? lol

IMG_1568.jpg

This is supposed to be one hose...

IMG_1564.jpg

Don't even know.. Don't even ask, aparently thats the window washer thingy? would explain why its not working....Ahh! rust! I'll have to have that removed in the near future.

IMG_1563.jpg

Guest Laishes

looks like the work of a ver knowledgeable previous owner. i think the radiator hose is my favorite.

I actually bought the car off a guy named Jeff..... He's giving you "jeffs" a bad rep man. ;)

He said it was an emergency fix because the hose cracked in the middle. :D  :D  :D

Guest Laishes

Looks like I will be the lone ranger with the only force-fed M20 around here afterall.

So that PCV hose doesnt connect to the valve cover then? that would make for a massive vac. leak and cause the car to run like potatoes 

I'm sorry snap :( I just don't think its worth it to do the head swap when I could probably source the m50+parts for only a couple hundred more

I don't know where that hose goes to I'll go take a look right now