WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Boo Hoo Subaru

alexw

Well, many of you may know or have heard I purchased a new 2013 WRX. I needed to get in a new vehicle for once (new as in, with warranty). The WRX seemed to fit the bill...

I've had it for 8,500 miles now. That is, I had it for 8,500 miles. Apparently Subaru says my "driving style", and or "abuse" caused the clutch to die and thus also the transmission. I have been quoted just under $8,000 in repairs, as the warranty will not cover it.

I can get into more details later, needless to say I'm in a battle with Subaru of America, hoping they cover the bill. Regardless of who picks up the bill, expect to see my fat ass around here more often. I intend on selling the Subaru and getting back into a BMW. That may just mean that I spend more time with the slicktop 318is that my wife had been driving... But regardless, I'm done with Subaru.

I hope you'll all welcome me back with open arms, or legs...

I've been on the phone with them about this for a week or longer. I was supposed to get a call today and they were going to offer some good faith assistance.

Problem is I drove this car no differently than any of my previous manual transmissions... Actually I drove it MORE conservative. I don't feel that I should pay a penny.

Glass trans is the only thing that comes to mind. 

But that is ridiculous.  Regardless of how you were driving it 8500 miles is hardly broken in!

I never understood the "glass trans" thing, because 95% of people complaining about the weak trans were launching their cars and probably shifting like morons playing F&F down the streets of their parent's house. AWD + Turbo + Kids = Launching/Shit Breaking.

I'm about to roll over 200k in the next month, with the stock trans/turbo both working perfectly fine. Its also only on the 2nd clutch of its life.

I never understood the "glass trans" thing, because 95% of people complaining about the weak trans were launching their cars and probably shifting like morons playing F&F down the streets of their parent's house. AWD + Turbo + Kids = Launching/Shit Breaking.

I'm about to roll over 200k in the next month, with the stock trans/turbo both working perfectly fine. Its also only on the 2nd clutch of its life.

Its just giving subaru owners shit.  From what Ive read, the trans that they used in earlier WRX's (2002/3 I think?) were designed for a 2.0 which could handle maybe 170ftlb of torque?  So take that trans and put it in a WRX where you can fairly easily double those numbers, and boom.  I think they made the trans stronger with the 2.5 though.  Then again, Im no subbie tech!  Ive just heard the "glass trans" term used for a long time. 

Your last sentence is a big part of it though.

Mine is an 02, and I dont think the 5 speed trans was "upgraded" until 05/06, but even then people complained about the weak trans. Look through their old NASIOC posts and what do you find? Threads like "how to launch my kar>>!?"  "clutchless shifting for newbz??!"  "first manual car, how do u shift lolz!"

Seriously, now that these are cheaper to find the idiots have gotten their hands on them.

However, there are a couple people in here in the Madison area (myself included) that are pushing around 275bhp/260ft lbs w/o issues, and people here with much higher numbers on their 5 speed transmissions. It's probably 75% driver/25% trans causing the issues.

Mine is an 02, and I dont think the 5 speed trans was "upgraded" until 05/06, but even then people complained about the weak trans. Look through their old NASIOC posts and what do you find? Threads like "how to launch my kar>>!?"  "clutchless shifting for newbz??!"  "first manual car, how do u shift lolz!"

Seriously, now that these are cheaper to find the idiots have gotten their hands on them.

However, there are a couple people in here in the Madison area (myself included) that are pushing around 275bhp/260ft lbs w/o issues, and people here with much higher numbers on their 5 speed transmissions. It's probably 75% driver/25% trans causing the issues.

I'm not saying your driving is bad Alex, but this is it. I've been a member of IWSTI.com since 2006? And thats all anyone would ask. "How do I flat foot shift/nolift, how do I launch this thing, I wanna rally, or something stupid. The transmissions (atleast in STi's) is pretty fucking strong, but WRX's I've no idea. But If you talk to S.O.A. like a civil person, they'll 9/10 times cover the entire thing.

^^ +1, I was in no way saying Alex is to blame. I'd be quite surprised if the failure had anything to do with Alex or his driving style.

The 6 speed STI trans aren't quite bullet proof, but they're at least 10x stronger than the 5 speed. 

I know 2005-2007 STi trans can handle 500HP on daily, they've been known to go well past that, but you're risking it. Maybe you just got a "bad batch" of transmission synchro's or something, who knows.

• 3 weeks later...

WRX returns. 

Took one day shy of a month to get it back in my hands. Just not acceptable. 

Got to talk to the bank, see if they want to float me another loan this early or not. I may look into a E46 M3. I suppose time will tell.

That sucks.  I owned a 2005 LGT from 2006 until a week ago.  The crank HP was around 550 and the stock 5 speed tranny took the abuse.  My driving style isn't "drive it like you stole it (as opposed to my wife, but that's another story), but I did enjoy exercising the torque & hp from time to time.  Not one single issue, with the exception of burning up the original OEM clutch at 72k miles.

8500 miles and tranny issues is ridiculous.   You need to find a different service writer to help you out.