WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Electric Fan

merl

Question

How many of you have installed an electric fan and deleted the mechanical? 

My options are:

16" Puller fan in place of mechanical

16" Pusher fan on front of rad since the condensor and aux fan are gone (I like this idea)

dual puller or pusher fans 

I am most interested in wiring it up. I would like it to be auto 2 speed with the ability to manually turn it on high. 

Thoughts ? 

Thanks

I have a brand new radiator in the 535I. still warms up. I got my radiator for $100 shipped. Autopartswarehouse= direct fit, not a single problem. rad showed up, no fins bent, nothin.

Come to my house with the truck!

it will run out of gas by the time i make it there

Guest bimmer82

I have a 16" slim fit spal puller on my e30 with the relay kit from bimmerworld if you need any more advice.. wired it up to the AC temp switch on radiator so that it kicks on right when the coolant needle passes half way.. 

I'm using this switch BMW# 61318361787  and just took out the mech fan.  It's 80/88 degree C instead of 91/99 C.  Only comes on low speed occasionally when idling for a long time in hot weather.  Easy and only need to buy the different switch.

Edit: I should clarify, mostly stock M50 with 88c thermostat.  Usually runs about 195 - 200 F on autometer gauge at factory sender location in head.  Never seen it above 210 even idling in very hot weather.

Brian just get an air hammer with a long ass punch on it.... Works like a charm and I need to do something with my e28s cooling fan as well

I've no idea what you're referring to. I'm gunna take a blind shot in the dark, an say it's referring to cooling fan clutch bolt? I got that out ages ago. I'll be running a bigger radiator (griffin raditator) That'll be pushed further forward into the front rad. support. So I'll have PLENTY of room for a puller fan, or 2 and a custom shroud.

I like the claw hammer idea.

These are reverse thread correct?

Correct.  I tried holding the pulley with everything I could think of from screwdriver, pry bar, crow bar, etc and actually bent one of the screws holding the pulley on with the pry bar.  I took a small claw hammer that I had and wedged the claw end in and voila!  Nut was off.