WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Anyone wanna see a Chummins in the making?

Chadley

Alright. Hurr we go.

Starting with a 93 K3500 Chevy Silverado, DRW of course. Has the legendary (but for the wrong reasons) 6.5 Turbo diesel, with an automatic 4L80E automatic OD transmission.

324138_zpse9aa1b68.jpg

It ran great for awhile, then I did WMO for 8k miles. Then winter came, and the injectors started to puke. At the same time, the transmission started acting up. I'd lose overdrive every once in awhile, and the truck would surge while driving. Not to mention my mileage was terrible, barley making 11mpg (I reguarlily got 15 when I bought the truck).

Having thought about a 12v swap for awhile, I decided fuck it, nows the time. So I went on the hunt, and before I knew it I found a 95 Dodge Ram 12v with a 5 speed. Perfect!

IMG_14261_zpse03a43e2.jpg

Bought it in november, but havent done anything until now. Weather and wallet agreed to make this happen.

Doin work...

IMG_1617_zpsec923cd9.jpg

IMG_1616_zps0a627eb4.jpg

IMG_1618_zps813ba830.jpg

Took us 6 hours to pull the motor and trans, including union breaks and eating.

Seperated the transmission, and had it sent to be rebuilt. It is going to be built to bolt up the BW 4401 32 spline GM transfer case, by replacing the main shaft and rear housing. The input shaft will stay dodge, so it will bolt to the 12" cummins clutch. Would love to throw a 13" dual disk setup, but they're 1100 dollars, and I dont have the money for that right now.

This is what was found on the stock clutch... No idea if its original or not

Degreased and painted one side

IMG_1619_zps9d092a36.jpg

For the top and other side...

IMG_1621_zps53e3e178.jpg

IMG_1622_zps12603499.jpg

Went ahead and mocked up my common rail manifold. Was gonna use this to run a set of compound HE351 and Borg Warner S4xx turbos.

IMG_1626_zps0af677ee.jpg

But as you can see....

IMG_1628_zps2bd45aae.jpg

Back to the 2nd gen manifold.

Drilled the manifold so all 6 cylinders are equally gated. On stock manifolds, only the first 3 cylinders are wastegated, leaving for unequal pressure. Drilling a 1/4" hole solves this problem.

IMG_1630_zps22ba65a8.jpg

Comparison from the HX35 to the HE351. THe 351 is off an 06 Cummins, and was designed to supply air to a 325hp motor. Should be a significant increase from the baby HX thats on the truck now.

Got that sucker mocked up

IMG_1632_zps26ed0ce7.jpg

Notice how the outlet is towards the top? It has been said that will not work, though I think otherwise. At any rate, I took off the T-band clamp to work on a solution. The only real dillema I'm having is the wastegate, I'm not sure if I should just let the turbo float or put a wastegate on the intake tract. I also need to come up with the oil drain, as the HE was designed to work on the common rail manifold, and therefore the oil drain is off for the 12v manifold.

IMG_1633_zps7ba9ccd9.jpg

After the turbo road block, I decided to keep the production moving by doing the KDP fix. KDP is the Killer Dowel Pin, and what happens is the small dowel pin placed in the timing case by the factory has a tendancy to work its way out of its spot, and into the gears. It will kill the motor if it does this.

Start with removing the timing cover...

IMG_1636_zps3f23a766.jpg

Whats a timing chain again?

This is the dowel pin that walks out. Mine was still there, and relatvely not moved. Fter 221k miles, thats a surprise

IMG_1637_zpsef72f4cc.jpg

This is part one of the solution. the bolt goes through the hole and this plate acts as a blocker to keep the pin from moving.

IMG_1640_zpse418891b.jpg

Part two of the fix is yet to come. At this point in the night I was too drunk to continue what I was doing, so I went inside

Alright. Hurr we go.

Starting with a 93 K3500 Chevy Silverado, DRW of course. Has the legendary (but for the wrong reasons) 6.5 Turbo diesel, with an automatic 4L80E automatic OD transmission.

324138_zpse9aa1b68.jpg

It ran great for awhile, then I did WMO for 8k miles. Then winter came, and the injectors started to puke. At the same time, the transmission started acting up. I'd lose overdrive every once in awhile, and the truck would surge while driving. Not to mention my mileage was terrible, barley making 11mpg (I reguarlily got 15 when I bought the truck).

Having thought about a 12v swap for awhile, I decided fuck it, nows the time. So I went on the hunt, and before I knew it I found a 95 Dodge Ram 12v with a 5 speed. Perfect!

Bought it in november, but havent done anything until now. Weather and wallet agreed to make this happen.

Box truck wheels? o_0

excuse my ignorance, but arent RAMs like the worst truck on the planet? or are the cummins motors the only good part?

love the look of the silverado

Cummins=CAT motors, and they're more reliable then the chevy motor.

Best parts from each american diesel truck:

Ford=body

Chevy= Drivetrain/axles etc

Dodge= Motor

Cummins=CAT motors, and they're more reliable then the chevy motor.

Best parts from each american diesel truck:

Ford=body

Chevy= Drivetrain/axles etc

Dodge= Motor

No.

Cummins is its own company, has nothing to do with cat or chrysler. Cummins has a deal with dodge to exclusively use cummins in RAM (not with ford or Chevy). Kind of like how Allison has a contract with GM to only use their transmissions in the light duty market.

Cummins has been around for around 80 years. One of the best diesels on the market. Easiest to maintain and modify too, not o mention cheapest to modify.

Also, ford bodies are shit. They rot worse than Chevys.

Ford is good for their axles. That's it. And that's only cause they use DANA axles.

Dodge is only good for the Cummins that comes in it. Pretty much garbage everywhere else.

Chevy has the nicest interior by far. Best driving truck in my opinion. But, they rot too, and have quirks because of their IFS that dodge and ford don't use.

By the way, CUMMINS IS NOT OWNED BY DODGE OR CAT

ohh and Caterpillar motors are in chevys...

also chevy axles are the strongest light truck axles dana60 and corp14 ff ford also uses dana 60's but its a counter rotation highpinion witch is very slightly weaker then the chev variant and ford uses a stearling 10.25 in the rear that has a 1/4" smaller ring gear but a slightly larger pinion bearing so strengh would be about the same but the chevys win because they have higher spline counts on the axles and pinion yoke

Facts, every one should try they're Awesome!

Dustin, i'ma shoot ya a call here real soon

UPDATE!!!!

Heres from where I left off last time... I pounded the aluminum case over the dowel pin, so it will stay in place regardless of the plate.

IMG_1642_zps76797023.jpg

Some red loctite, and...

IMG_1644_zps59572659.jpg

Something interesting. Either Chrysler was too lazy to paint the timing cover off the motor, or someone replaced it and didnt do a good job painting it. You can see the tan industrial color you find on motors out of buses or drill rigs.

IMG_1643_zpsf79d684b.jpg

regardless, cover painted and installed

IMG_1646_zpse2806480.jpg

Turbo oil fitting installed. Got it clocked, re-welded the nessacary parts, and it is installed now.

IMG_1647_zpsab9f8a48.jpg

And before you know it....

IMG_1648_zps7e9e9a1c.jpg

Phase 1 of 3 is complete :) Friday I get the transmission, and the 6.5/4L80E comes out. Cummins should be on its way in come saturday

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris and Zach have seen this goodness....

Here we go, old motor getting ready to pull

IMG_1652_zps54398209.jpg

And its out!

IMG_1656_zpsd054cbf6.jpg

See gentlemen, you have to get the ladies help. They clean grease very well

IMG_1653_zps6d07ba12.jpg

These three bolts on the diff need countersinking. Otherwise they will rub against the oil pan

IMG_1655_zps93f66204.jpg

IMG_1661_zps7220ccdb.jpg

Base plate for the motor mounts. Bolt and weld

IMG_1658_zpse275c62e.jpg

Yummy weld

IMG_1659_zps8c8fcf3c.jpg

Got some clean engine bay, and some flat black

IMG_1662_zpsba8f9eee.jpg

Sliding that sucker in. She was a tight fight no doubt. The oil pan was very close to the diff, it took the just right amount of angle, swearing, and prying to get it in

IMG_1664_zps1d035e00.jpg

Started the day getting the cab ready for the 5 speed. Cut the hole in the carpet, and started grinding away

IMG_1665_zps24c1c2ad.jpg

IMG_1666_zps27ec8b20.jpg

With the bellhousing bolted to the motor, the transmission had to go in seperately. Seemed easy, the tranny to bellhousing connection only has 4 bolts. Wasnt even close to easy, as it turns out muscling a 300lb transmission into a 1 1/4" hole is harder than it seems. We had to cut this slit to get the shifter into the cab, no big deal.

IMG_1667_zps853efc20.jpg

Forget to take pics of the rest, oh well. Next conundrum, we noticed the motor was slightly offset. This is why

IMG_1668_zps5c8a5ed2.jpg

Fixed with...

IMG_1669_zpsf1b4b088.jpg

And I once again forgot to take a picture of the finished product :)

However...

IMG_1670_zps21f54e6b.jpg

5 speed is in. Have to get a new spring for my clutch pedal assembly, then I can finish my linkage. With that, the slave will be hooked up. Gotta reuse the Chrysler slave rod with the GM cylinder. Or just the dodge slave. Who knows.

Gentlemen, I present...

IMG_1672_zpsd8e31fe2.jpg

CHUMMINS!!!!

• 2 weeks later...