WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

hello every one

hahaha yes it is a padlock on the trunk. i plan to start drifting (jake got me hooked) so im not too worried about the looks or body damage. its got 113,xxx miles. its running pretty crappy, but i think its because there is no o2 sensor at the moment. my plans are to put some maintenance on it since i drive a VW and i got in the habit of doing it. you can tell he was rear ended because of the body damage. im going to be looking over things today.

Welcome John!

I saw that car FS on craigslist and giggled at the trunk as well. Im glad you are going to be throwing the car around sideways and getting some fun out of it. 
I would love to be of any help in getting the M20 running happily again. Do you have any engine upgrades planned? 

A few of the guys on here have done the "2.7i" conversion so they could chime in with more details on that.

If you are staying NA and on a tight budget then my opinion is to either pickup a healthy M20B25 with harness, ecu, and everything you would need to "swap" for $500 or less, then take the time to install a clutch that will take the abuse and do some refreshing while its out. Then do a MarkD chip, 4.10 lsd, shorty header (improves the mid-range torque dip) and remove weight (AC, trunk tar, lighter exhaust,etc). This should get you something that can do 2nd and 3rd gear drifts on  decent tires. 

If you are staying NA and have some money to throw around, then an M50/M52/S50/S52 swap would make lots of sense,

If you are looking to do a turbo setup then a 2.7i would be the way to go due to the lower compression ratio. 

Also keep in mind that getting sideways in something with <300hp is most likely going to feel awesome and huge while in the car, but look kinda weak/lame on video from outside the car, so just enjoy what you have, do things your way, and dont get caught up in the need to out-do others.  That makes thing more enjoyable for me at least.

• 3 weeks later...