WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

The Photography Thread

suspenceful

Love the film!  Especially the first shot of the M3.

Thank you=) I love film. I didn't edit any of these. They're all natural pictures. Are you familiar with ISO settings for film? I have been using the 200 speed FujiFilm film, with a 175 ISO setting. It seems to work well in some situations, but not in others. I would love to really dive in and learn how to use my camera properly. The thing that usually doesn't work so well for me is the auto focus. I am not sure how it works. I thought that if I depress the button slightly, it'll focus on whatever is in the middle of the focal range, and then I can move the camera while keeping it depressed to have that range in focus. Sometimes that works, others it doesn't.

Thank you=) I love film. I didn't edit any of these. They're all natural pictures. Are you familiar with ISO settings for film? I have been using the 200 speed FujiFilm film, with a 175 ISO setting. It seems to work well in some situations, but not in others. I would love to really dive in and learn how to use my camera properly. The thing that usually doesn't work so well for me is the auto focus. I am not sure how it works. I thought that if I depress the button slightly, it'll focus on whatever is in the middle of the focal range, and then I can move the camera while keeping it depressed to have that range in focus. Sometimes that works, others it doesn't.

I'm not familiar with film at all :(

There are a couple people I know on some other forums that use film, but I can't help.

• 2 months later...

iso with film is a pretty simple concept.  lower iso film is less sensitive to light, higher iso is more sensitive to light.  shooting in daylight requires 100 iso, cloudy/sun is more like 400 iso and night shots are 1600 iso, as an example. of course, no matter which you pick,  it has to be balance with your shutter/aperture to get the right amount of light and using higher iso results in more grainy images, so its a balancing act.

if you've worked with a digital camera and its ISO, its really the same except with film you obviously can't change it for every shot, you have to shoot a whole roll of it.

the wheel should be set to match whatever film you are using so the sensor on the camera knows what film you've loaded.

you can set it differently, but its meant to be set to match. some deeper research would probably reveal some artistic reason for mismatching, but I dont know what it is.

as far as autofocus goes, i would guess that its like most cameras that when you're in auto it focuses on whatever the camera guesses is best, or on some point (such as the center).  consult your manual or the internets.

• 2 weeks later...

Jake wrote:

Anyways, I'll be the first to say, LEARN HOW TO SHOOT MANUAL! I told myself to never use auto when I bought this camera, and so far it's worked out great. I haven't shot one picture in auto, all have been manual or on aperture priority. Practice makes perfect... if there is such a thing.

You got me to take my Cyber-Shot off of easy mode. It takes pretty good pictures without me knowing anything. I am starting to play with the options. 

DSC01982_zps16b7262e.jpg

upload1_zps6f34947a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Finally got my pictures developed from memorial weekend in Door County. There are also a few from a roll I took hanging out with TJ sometime last year. They'r not the best, but they were all taken with my 1981 Minolta Hi Matic AF2. I need to learn more about ISO settings

(instagram shot of the camera)

himatic_zpsafc68a0d.jpg

PhotographyDump004_zpsea499dd0.jpg

PhotographyDump005_zpsbc9318ce.jpg

PhotographyDump100_zps370aacf4.jpg

PhotographyDump014_zps940a322b.jpg

PhotographyDump021_zps41490f64.jpg

PhotographyDump024_zps0abb612a.jpg

PhotographyDump025_zps802a31d7.jpg

PhotographyDump027_zpsf3bf16ed.jpg

PhotographyDump039_zpsec931571.jpg

PhotographyDump045_zps924d0406.jpg

PhotographyDump057_zps7a021220.jpg

PhotographyDump058_zpsc033b950.jpg

PhotographyDump061_zps67f1e575.jpg

PhotographyDump062_zpsb11d4753.jpg

PhotographyDump064_zps7940ec4f.jpg

My cottage is right by that boat in door county that's really funny you took pics of that I have pics of my e60 and M3 on the pier next to that boat

• 3 months later...