WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

87 535is - getting started

merl

I actually received it with my euro bumper purchase so I don't know how much it would cost or how rare it is in the US (all US cars had AC) I did have to order a new Heater control plate as the radio and heat controls reverse (that was 65 bucks) ... I am looking forward to having the cubby as well.

The new head is de-valved and work will start on that and the intake manifold. Pistons and cam will be about 5 weeks so there is time to make the Motronic 1.3 harness look purty and get the shadowline done. 

Also, my brake booster (hydraulic, not vacuum) decided it was done holding fluid  :confused:  so that has to come out and be rebuilt. The 3.73 still needs to go in, air dam mounted, paint for said air dam and bumpers, minor body work, speakers, etc, etc, etc .... 

Lots to do but looking good. 

Wow Merl, sounds awesome! 

What size cam?
What pistons (what CR will you end up with)
What tune do you run with a M1.3 conversion?
Is they hydroboost brake booster desirable, or a problem area? 
I am not sure if they would be compatible, but I do have a low mile ATE booster and MC off a 92 E30 vert. in case there was any reason to get rid of the hydroboost setup. 
What is your current diff ratio? 3.25? and is the 3.73 Large or Medium case?

I love e28 535i's and is's (esp. yours)  , just trying to learn a bit more

Pistons and Cam are Paul Burke (Imagineering) an i don't have Cam specs but it is built to work with the engine/pistons

Pistons are custom M30B35 10.5:1 forged

motronic 1.3 will be running Miller WAR / MAF with 24lb injectors

I don't think Hydro is a huge problem area but it is also not desired ... no advantage really. 

There are people that have converted to Vacuum boosters but it is involved and more work that I want to do

Current diff is 3.25LSD and the new is a medium case 3.73LSD from an e30 ...

Also, the head is an M30B35 with custom port matching ... We should be able to get somewhere around 230hp at the wheels... 

It really should not be too bad ... the harness is modified for an e28 already so when the engine is out of the car, I think I will mount the harness to the engine and put it in all at once. There are just some connectors that make me scratch my head a bit. 

Once on the engine, it will make more sense.

Front Spoiler is shipping ... I have tracking number ... YES !!

Received some gauges for Oil PSI, Temp, Water Temp this week. I ordered a ashtray pod that is for the e30 but with the Euro center console I am really thinking and hoping it fits.

Bottom of the drivers fender behind the wheel is worse than I thought. I am trying to figure out a way to band-aid it for this year as I am not doing body work besides trim paint and what I had to for the bumper install. 

Engine not out yet as the pistons and cam have not officially been ordered yet. Once that is a for sure, engine will come out. 

Bottom of the drivers fender behind the wheel is worse than I thought. I am trying to figure out a way to band-aid it for this year as I am not doing body work besides trim paint and what I had to for the bumper install. 

If you find a way, LMK. my passengers side is bad as well! post pics once that front spoiler gets to ya'!

Guest fastenerpuller

Aw man now I feel like I need euro bumpers! looks sick.

Brian the body roll is gnarly. My "new" car has a much sportier setup (Bilstein sports, ST springs and sways, strut braces) so I am hoping it will be a littler flatter.