WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

87 535is - getting started

merl

you are correct.

Spax springs and sports. Poly rear subframe mounts, Aluminum lower control arms, 750 bushings in the thrust arms, heavy duty diff mount, 540i/740i brakes

You a... you should post some pictures of all that. mainly the Aluminum LCA's, and the brake set up. Also, got a part # for that diffmount?

Sure... I will get some pics and post them.

Diff mount part # - 33171129786

**This part number will cross reference as a 528e part number. The later 528e uses the same diff mount as the m535i in Europe. This is a better mount that is stronger and it is less than half the price of the US 535i diff mount.

There is a lot more brake there so it is a significant improvement in stopping power. Front pads are the same as E36 M3 so it gives you a bunch of options as well. On the track, I used about half the brand new pads (Textar) and I expected to use a lot more. In a panic stop on the road, the car stops right now !!

The swap is bolt on and there are quite a few options ... The list below is from www.m535i.org ... Mine is a Stage 5 and is very cost effective. I think I paid $200 for the calipers and an upgraded master cylinder (The master was messed up so it is not installed). I rebuilt all the calipers with new seals and bought new rotors and pads. The bias is really good and the package performed really well on the track.

Stage 1: E32/540i fronts

Minimum wheel size: 15” wheels

Stage 2: E28 M5/ E24 M6 fronts

Minimum wheel size: TRX, only *some* 15” wheels, 16” wheels

Stage 3: E32/540i fronts, E34 solid rears

Minimum wheel size: 15” wheels front and rear

Stage 4: E28 M5/ E24 M6 fronts, E34 solid rears

Minimum wheel size: TRX, only *some* 15”, 16” wheels front; 15” wheels rear

Stage 5: E32/540i fronts, E34/E32 vented rears

Minimum wheel size: 15” wheels front and rear

Stage 6: E28 M5/ E24 M6 fronts, E34/E32 vented rears

Minimum wheel size: TRX, only *some* 15”, 16” wheels front; 15” wheels rear

Stage 7: E34 US M5/US 540i Sport front and rear

Minimum wheel size: some 16” wheels front; 15” wheels rear

Stage 8: E31 front, E34/E32 vented rears

Minimum wheel size: some 16” wheels front; 15” wheels rear

Stage 9: E34 Euro, E31 850CSi Euro (Nurburgring brakes)

Minimum wheel size: 17” wheels front; 16” wheels rear

I like ABS but after replacing the pump, control unit, sensors (with used sensors), and cleaning the rings on the hubs, it is still in-op. I have some more used sensors to try out before pulling the rest of my hair out, but I am starting to lean towards removing my ABS. I really dont want to flat-spot a set of nice tires, but as hard as I was on the brakes at the track, I didn't get into any lockup even on my all-seasons. So im on the fence about keeping/removing the ABS. If I can get it to work this spring, then I will re-locate the pump to behind the passenger side strut tower for some better weight distribution.

Learn to put just the right amount of pressure on your brakes while braking hard. A good way to do this, drive with out cruise control for a long time. I never use crusie control, you'll get muscle memory of where say, "60mph is" and your foot will auto adjust for going up and down hills. Sounds stupid, but it works. My ABS is all sorts of fucked up, and likes to kick on and off on it's own. too bad I can't just disconnect the power to the damn thing. Or remove it and put in T fittings.

• 3 weeks later...