WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

87 535is - getting started

merl

Spoiler is a reproduction and in primer.

I bought the bumpers from someone else that had them spayed alpine white for his car but never installed them so they are new but generally come in primer or chrome...

Both the bumpers and spoiler will be sprayed body color

Oh, derp. Yeah, I gotta shadow line my tails sometime soon. Along with my door strips and rain gutter trim. This is lookin good though Merl! I'm excited to see this at a meet.

Definitely bringing my camera for both of your cars this year.  Especially if you guys park next to each other, photos for daaayyyss!

ohhh YES!  This is frickin awesome!  What company makes those pistons?  it appears that they should match the M30 combustion chamber nicely. What kind of compression increase are you getting and any idea what kind of weight savings these pistons might have over stock? Are you getting the cylinder bores honed + new rings and bearings as well? What duration/make of cam?

Lots of questions, I know, but this is super exciting stuff!  I will soon find out how much more glorious the induction sounds are with the AFM gone on my car and will report back :D

These pistons (and cam, cam sprocket) are custom made by Paul Burke with Imagineering 

Compression ratio with these pistons on the M30B35 head is 10.5:1

Don't know about weight but they are forged

No boring and prob no honing as the block is a 95,000 mile block

All new rings and wrist pins. Crank bearings will be determined.

It wouldn't require more fuel, it would be using the standard quantity of fuel more efficiently so no changes there, timing tables could likely be advanced everywhere from the conservative factory values except for around a particular 3000-4500 rpm range where BMW SOHC engines can be prone to knock.   

merl,  do you ever attend the Concours BMW car show? You should consider entering your car, I think it would be a huge hit

It actually will want more fuel at higher RPM. Enough that 24lb/hr injectors are recommended... I can get away with standard injectors (19lb) but you run out at high RPM.

I will be running Motronic 1.3 with a Miller WAR chip. With the WAR Chip I should be able to dial in enough timing to not knock or ping (I hope).... I also will have an adjustable Cam sprocket to dial in the cam exactly. I know you can get away with a 10:1 motor with a standard ECU, especially if you are running Motronic 1.3 but not with this much work done. 

With the head porting, aggresive cam, and pistons we have to have control on the computer. Miller WAR is plenty for this build. I looked at Megasquirt as well but I was able to order this stuff as a package including the Miller WAR/MAF ... Also there are proven maps for this build for the Miller stuff. 

Never considered the Concours as the body on the car is not much to look at ... not horrible but not great.