WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

My E30

KaiserRolls

A day or two ago I made a thread in the new members section and just wanted to post up some more pics in the member's bmw thread.
I guess I'll use this post (seems like the correct spot) when there are any updates to the car or if I need some input or what-have-you.
I am open to any experiences you guys have had with your e30's, do's and don'ts, where to buy parts, etc.
I'll take advice wherever I can get it:cool:
On to the pics!
1989 325i (with is bits here and there)

The day after I drove it back from MN (gave it a quick clean, found like $1.83 in change in the seats)
IMG_0086.jpg

door ding 3 days before I bought it.
IMG_0085.jpg
IMG_0087.jpg

crack-free dash!
IMG_0089.jpg

dirty as hell, think I'm going to just pull the sucker and clean errathang/freshen it up
IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

Buddy stopped by in his s2k to take a look and it turned into picture time
Edit27.jpg

So those pics are about a week into my ownership, I don't know about you all, but I hate cheesy looking plastic-y chrome garbage parts on anything, so I bought some plasti-dip (in-case I hated what I had just done) and painted the grille and the window trim a flat black. (taken with potato phone)
0613121249_zps01864f45.jpg
0610122304_zpsd1c19daf.jpg

I big-time would recommend a clay-bar kit, I did this car twice so far and it brought a nice smooth feel and nice shine after a good coat of wax.
This is a horrible cell phone pic of the hood after the clay bar.
0607121050_zpsbb1a3ec9.jpg

As it sits now (better pics, no potato phone quality)
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z377/KaiserRolls/IMG_0068-1_zpsbc590daa.jpg

Collector plates ftw. one time fee. (Had them from my old truck..whole different ball game there)
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z377/KaiserRolls/IMG_0059_zps1e4f5127.jpg

So yeah, that's about it for the car, had my eye on an e30 forever (3ish years) this one popped up and yeah, jumped on it right away.
As far as plans for it, I've been wanting to fix the massive oil leak(s) and the sloppy shifter (Snap Understeer has been pointing me in the right directions as far as the shifter situation)
Not new to turning wrenches but definitely new to the E30.
My previous vehicle was an '89 chevy 1500 2dr that was black, lowered with a 350 crate motor that I worked for throughout high school (had to sell for college :()
(only crappy pic I have left)
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z377/KaiserRolls/9929_149377727518_625127518_3586879_7411974_n_zps3a024949-1_zps714bb530.jpg

But anyways, what I ride to work everyday for the last 5 summers has been the supermoto.
My trusty daily driver. More fun than any mode of transportation I have ever owned...so far...
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z377/KaiserRolls/706154_498828616816507_1312889694_o_zpsa563d772.jpg

This bike has been a learning curve for me (started out on small engines) But now I can basically work on it in my sleep.
(Potato quality picture)
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z377/KaiserRolls/1221112149_zps42bf154d.jpg

Hoping the motorcycle experience will help out with the future bmw endeavors:cool:

So yeah, kind of a long-winded second introduction post, but the hell with it - that's what forums are for!
Look forward to meeting some of you.

One last pic. (photo whoring is allowed correct?) :D
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z377/KaiserRolls/Edit41.jpg

VVME.com is a great place for HIDs, I have had mine for 2 years now with no issues.

RealOEM.com has all the dealership part diagrams and part numbers. The E30 is listed under "Archive"

I got all my suspension from Turner Motorsports, I typically get OE parts from Pelican Parts or Blunttech (cool guy in MN).

Ireland engineering (bmw2002.com) is a good place to browse for some performance items as well, they have a few things that are hard to find or that nobody else really makes. That is where I got my crank scraper and oil pan baffle from.

The pictures are great, how does your S2000 friend like your car? My left knee sometimes gets wedged between the door panel and steering wheel on the S2000 when I release the clutch. I would buy one if I was shorter.

Do you have any plans for weight reduction? If so removing the AC (~50 lbs) and removing the trunk tar (50 lbs) are a great place to start.

L O L @ " potato quality "

That moto is AWESOME!

If you ever wanna rip around on it lemme know. Although you may regret it (you'll buy one instantly):cool:

Nice find! Your car looks like it is in excellent shape. I buy parts from bmaparts.com, pelicanparts.com, autohausaz.com, and bavauto.com. There are plenty of e30 guys on here who can help you with literally any question you can think of.

Thanks for the sites. I've been to pelican a handful of times, will definitely check out the others.

VVME.com is a great place for HIDs, I have had mine for 2 years now with no issues.

RealOEM.com has all the dealership part diagrams and part numbers. The E30 is listed under "Archive"

I got all my suspension from Turner Motorsports, I typically get OE parts from Pelican Parts or Blunttech (cool guy in MN).

Ireland engineering (bmw2002.com) is a good place to browse for some performance items as well, they have a few things that are hard to find or that nobody else really makes. That is where I got my crank scraper and oil pan baffle from.

The pictures are great, how does your S2000 friend like your car? My left knee sometimes gets wedged between the door panel and steering wheel on the S2000 when I release the clutch. I would buy one if I was shorter.

Do you have any plans for weight reduction? If so removing the AC (~50 lbs) and removing the trunk tar (50 lbs) are a great place to start.

Been to bluntechclassic a few times, will check out the others.

He likes the car, except he has automotive a.d.d. and can't keep anything permanently. He's short enough to where he doesnt get stuck, I rode shotgun a few times and it's definitely not roomy--but mother of god that car revs to the moon.

He has had to replace the rear calipers a few times though because they were locked up/dragging; like smoking brakes bad. He also has a jetta thats set up for auto-x, an audi allroad v6 with twins and a RHD mini thats sort of got an autox vibe to it.

As far as weight reduction, It's always in the back of my mind - but I want to keep the car looking somewhat stockish. The ac blows <--thats all, doesnt blow cold, it just blows. it wouldn't hurt to remove it - but then again, a black car/black interior gets super hot in the summer.

Does the friends mini have a sticker on the back window that says "actual size" by chance?!?!?

I thought no AC was going to be the end of the world in these humid Wisconsin summers but 2 years ago I was stuck in traffic at the blasted Zoo interchange and the OBC read 103. It would really only be an issue if i was on my way to a job interview and didnt want to appear mildly schweaty.

Does the friends mini have a sticker on the back window that says "actual size" by chance?!?!?

I thought no AC was going to be the end of the world in these humid Wisconsin summers but 2 years ago I was stuck in traffic at the blasted Zoo interchange and the OBC read 103. It would really only be an issue if i was on my way to a job interview and didnt want to appear mildly schweaty.

I'll shoot him a text about the mini.

Here it is the day he picked it up

Posted Image

The interior is stripped and has a recaro seat and dynamat everywhere.

And as far as the zoo interchange.....you're brave with no ac. We take the msoe athletic vans through there and it flat out sucks.

another MSOE grad here. Welcome to the club and super clean looking car. Looks fantastic!! That moto looks real fun too. I have a 95 Buell S2 that I absolutely love riding around. Hope to see you around sometime.

So it does end? little over a year left here, just looking forward to xmas break to get some work done.

Thanks on the car and personally I think the moto is the most fun you can have on two wheels (usually one).

Hope to meet some of you guys one day

So it does end? little over a year left here, just looking forward to xmas break to get some work done.

Thanks on the car and personally I think the moto is the most fun you can have on two wheels (usually one).

Hope to meet some of you guys one day

Bassboy was the coolest MSOE nursing student when he rolled up to class on his S2

Posted Image

"I JUST WANNA RIDE MY MOOOTORCY CLE."

Edited by Snap Understeer

Beautiful E30! Very clean and tidy.

Thanks!

Bassboy was the coolest MSOE nursing student when he rolled up to class on his S2

another MSOE grad here. Welcome to the club and super clean looking car. Looks fantastic!! That moto looks real fun too. I have a 95 Buell S2 that I absolutely love riding around. Hope to see you around sometime.

Side note, either of you notice the massive amounts of sti's and other subaru's on campus? there's like 5 sti's that have some stuff done to them that i've seen

Posted Image

HAHA!!! Nice one! I took that AE senior design by storm and raped it good!

Thanks!

Side note, either of you notice the massive amounts of sti's and other subaru's on campus? there's like 5 sti's that have some stuff done to them that i've seen

Oh for sure. Quite a few there when we were in school.

Yeah, Im not sure if one of them is still there but its a black wrx 5dr. The owner is a knob, and he also fires it up and bangs it off the limiter to get from the science building to the CC building between classes.

I figure he just wants to grab some Bosco sticks before class and doesnt want to be late, but you just dont drive like a d-bag on any street where there are pedestrians, and on a cold engine at that.

Yeah, Im not sure if one of them is still there but its a black wrx 5dr. The owner is a knob, and he also fires it up and bangs it off the limiter to get from the science building to the CC building between classes.

I figure he just wants to grab some Bosco sticks before class and doesnt want to be late, but you just dont drive like a d-bag on any street where there are pedestrians, and on a cold engine at that.

glad you brought that one up. Pretty sure he graduated last year, but for my first 2 years that's all I heard.

1. get in car

2. start car

3. depress pedal through floor

4. dump clutch

5. haul some noisy ass @7,000 rpm all the way down Milwaukee st.

edit: 6. bosco sticks are gross

Edited by KaiserRolls

• 3 months later...

sooooo, got super bored today and did this all for no reason whatsoever

popped the trunk tar out 

and the spare

relocated the antenna, need to get a plug for it yet

I was surprised how heavy that trunk tar BS was.

55lbs of junk

IMG_0096-2_zps2b57aa6f.jpg

-1 bottle cap 40lbs

IMG_0098-2_zps37d63d24.jpg

allout and vacuumed up

0405131649_zpsd03edc2d.jpg

no more antenna

IMG_0088-1_zpsa6f7ef4f.jpg

IMG_0093-2_zpsf112c241.jpg

zip-tied up out of the way

IMG_0091-1_zps99bfecb1.jpg