WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Engine swap idea... 3.3 i6 into a 95' 318is?

BMWben

This is just a little fantasy of mine. I have a basically done for 1981 633csi sitting in my garage, the title situation is so messed up that I probably will never be able to drive it legally and it needs a ton of work. It has 175,000 miles on it, doesn't run, and I have no idea why it isn't running but I haven't really put in the time. On the other side I have a 95' 318is, its has a shit paint job and the interior is decent besides the headliner but the engine is in good shape besides an idling problem. There is really no reason for me to do this besides that I want a big 6 in my tiny ass car :D. What do you guys think?

M30B33

194 hp

210 ft/lbs

weight: 315lbs

mpg: 15-17

an m50 is really the same power, lighter weight, and nearly 60% more efficient.

I think its not uncommon for owners to see them getting around 12-13mpg if they aren't really fresh. That's just pitiful for the power output..

Even if you get it running, it would probably need a rebuild to get back to the stock 194 hp. It's a good chance that the mounts are different, so custom fab there. You'd probably have to use the old transmission too, so the driveshaft is likely a different length, and custom linkages needed to the shifter. A better option is to swap an m50 based I6 into your 318, such as the s52 I have for sale :D. Or, find another 91-95 3-series with good paint and interior but a bad motor and sell your car since it runs fine (not sure which works out better money-wise).

Also, with the title situation, how do you plan on getting rid of the shell? A scrap yard probably wouldnt even take it.

on an old vehicle like that it would probably be much easier to recover the title with the engine still in the car ;)

You'd be surprised how easy it is to get title with this MV 3623 form.