WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Das Be28ter Bimmer

YoungCR

• 2 months later...

I've come to the decision that I'm parking the car until I start the rebuild. With the starter currently frozen and needing to do the timing belt, its more work than its worth just to daily it for a bit until I find a workspace. So here she sits awaiting  :mellow:

post-2724-0-90412500-1365438264_thumb.jp

Might put a little time into the Euro and see if I can get that running so I can at least have something to show up to meets with over the summer. Might be starting a build thread on that this week if I can get some welding done! 

I've come to the decision that I'm parking the car until I start the rebuild. With the starter currently frozen and needing to do the timing belt, its more work than its worth just to daily it for a bit until I find a workspace. So here she sits awaiting  :mellow: attachicon.gifIMG_0007_2.jpg Might put a little time into the Euro and see if I can get that running so I can at least have something to show up to meets with over the summer. Might be starting a build thread on that this week if I can get some welding done! 

Wow really? I just saw the build thred and now it going to sit for a while?

Wow really? I just saw the build thred and now it going to sit for a while?

I'm hoping its just another month. Its been sitting basically since november when I bought my truck. That's why I don't wanna get it running just so I can tear it apart anyways. 

• 1 month later...

Life is always seems to be throwing curve balls, so with that I bring an update! The shop dealio didnt work out so the tables have turned on my project cars, the 528e is getting back on the road and the euro is in storage until I have a garage to work on it in, (Next month I'll be in a place of my own with atleast 1 garage spot  :cool:). Having two project cars is a huge challenge so the be28ter is going back into daily service until I can do the ground up restoration I someday dream of. My brother BMWben will drive the car over summer once she is running and we will be making meet apperences in her too.

With that said, I made a phone call to Chad two weeks ago proposing welding the new front end up and he happily agree'd to do the work. I'll add a detail'd post with pics this Sunday as I dont currently have internet outside of work. The front end has been finished for about a week and tomorrow night the timing belt will hopefully be done. The plan saturday then is to put in the new starter and re-assemble everyrthing on the front end (radiator, lights, grill, bumper, valence, hood) and drive her for the first time since december.

Yay picture updates!

Clean engine bay shot.

post-2724-0-01047500-1369661203_thumb.jp

Defiantly was time for a new belt!

post-2724-0-14929800-1369661247_thumb.jp

New timing belt and water pump installed. Cleaned up the block a little bit too while I was in there.

post-2724-0-37720500-1369661300_thumb.jp

All back together. AC and Power steering deleted for now.

post-2724-0-87102800-1369661347_thumb.jp

Completed engine bay shot.

post-2724-0-03817600-1369661376_thumb.jp

Car is running beautifully. started right up with no issues at all, will probably need a valve adjustment in the near future though. We ran into another set back of stripping the brake line connections into the ABS hydraulic unit. Gonna need new fittings on the lines and I will be rebuilding the abs unit too.

Also my brake bleeder valves have somehow shrunk to ~6.5mm and they are supposed to be 7mm  :(. Not sure how I'm gonna go about fixing this.

#1  HOLY CRAP WORN TIMING BELT

The valves probably would have become well acquainted with the pistons if that was on for much longer.

#2 look into getting some sintered timing belt sprockets from a b25

DSC_1104.JPG

#3 Looking forward to seeing the euro take shape