WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Engine Builders in WI?

Ryan...

Like the title states, where are our reputable engine builders in this lovely state of ours? Lets say you had an M50, you had a pile of parts, and the engine required machine work and a professional to disassemble/reassemble.. Where would you bring it? Anyone trustworthy that knows BMWs?

11 hours ago, YoungCR said:

Being in Madison I'd at least get a quote from Kelly Moss, curios myself for these answers.

That was going to be my first option, seeing as how I'm on a first name basis with half the shop from my 911 :D

3 hours ago, REKIII said:

Kilpatrick still any good?  Had an engine built there a long time ago and the quality was awesome.  I don't know if they do good work anymore though.

Never heard of them, I'll do a little research.

31 minutes ago, GunMetalGrey said:

I have rebuild one or two..... or four 
A Bobcat is required for rebuild though

I'm surprisingly short a Bobcat right now......

In preparation for a turbo build. Mine has 216k on it, feels like it's functioning properly, so I'm exploring this option instead of taking a flier on a lower mileage car that may or may not have been maintained.

I'm going to be acquiring turbo bits as I learn more about the pieces I need to achieve my goal of 500whp. Lots of guys on BFC doing it with ARP studs and a head gasket (plus the obvious injectors etc). However, most of them don't have the mileage I do..

On 6/29/2016 at 1:44 PM, Rowleym said:

I've taken apart plenty of 200k BMW engines and have not yet seen one that needed a refresh. Just take the head off and get it refreshed,  get ARP's and cut ring hg and spacer if you don't want to run e85. If anything, increase the ring gap for boost. 

500whp will be cake! 

What do you consider "refreshed" ? That's good to hear, I'm actually seeing quite a few higher mileage boosted cars out there, so perhaps I won't need anything too involved past the cut ring headgasket/studs..