Car Show Mini-Rant

B C

Poor Entries at Car Shows  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Ya feels me?

• I agree completely, Snap 2016!!!
    • eh, kinda sorta
    • it doesn't bother me
    • Snap isn't a true car enthusiast, a base model 2009 Cobalt should be as as welcome as a Duesenberg
    • Rage drifting
    • You and me and Bassboy goin' fishin' in the dark

I can appreciate clean older stock cars at this point since they only become more rare by the day. In the end I go to shows mostly to talk to y'all since I'm sure not many actually look twice at my car.

I spent more time looking at your car than those two new Ferraris at the Lake Mills cars-and-coffee, in fact I walked right by the Ferraris. I grew up around e21's and e28's and now they're all but gone. At that time in the 80's I was driving a VW Mk1 GTI, also all but gone in un-molested condition. I can go to Lake Forest Sportscars and see a new Ferrari whenever, if I want to see an e28 in any condition on the other hand...

I run the Tuesday cruise night in Mequon (used to be at Highland House, got kicked out of there for being too big, now we're back at the old Brew City Grill/Sybaris location, but anyway...).  I also organize the Concours BMW show for Badger Bimmers, plus a bunch of other stuff.

This is an issue that comes up every so often. I think the answer is - it depends.  A show like our Tuesday night thing always has been and always will be open to any kind of car anyone wants to bring.  Old, new, interesting, boring, exciting, clean, dirty, whatever.  It's a social thing, and we have space for everyone.  A show like the Concours BMW show is obviously for BMWs only (except for a few non-conformists who bring something else and are too dense to figure it out and we're too polite to expel them).  A show like the Saturday night show at the HAWK in Elkhart Lake shouldn't have Subaru WRXs in it, etc. Space is limited and it does piss me off that a WRX takes the spot away from a "more worthy" car.

But the bottom line is that almost all shows are organized and run by volunteers, and it's already aggravating enough to do all the work and listen to people bitch about this that and the other thing (and snap getting a bagel! :)), to have to worry about pissing off some idiot by telling them their EconoBox SUX isn't a show car.  Life's too short.  I just don't look at cars that don't interest me and so far I'm only halfway to crazy.

I spent more time looking at your car than those two new Ferraris at the Lake Mills cars-and-coffee, in fact I walked right by the Ferraris. I grew up around e21's and e28's and now they're all but gone. At that time in the 80's I was driving a VW Mk1 GTI, also all but gone in un-molested condition. I can go to Lake Forest Sportscars and see a new Ferrari whenever, if I want to see an e28 in any condition on the other hand...

I missed this, glad you found it interesting. Just goes to show that any car can be interesting to the right person.

Thanks for all the hard work you do Jeff in organizing these events in MKE. That's one thing I miss about being in Milwaukee.

• 2 weeks later...

Deleted original long post I was making due to certainty of perceived "that guy" status.

Short version: I went to a local GTG this weekend and really thought it was 90% garbage. Maybe I'm getting too old for this type of gathering, but was literally waking around going "really?" at almost everything there. I've never seen so much spray paint, plastidip, rust, and Aisle 4 of AutoZone in one place.

top shelf was eh, people just ripped up and down the parking garage on rev limiter all day long.

i am guilty of rust :( 

not a huge fan of the parking garage car show stuff, aka how many levels up before your shit overheats and you look like a noob (i didnt have any issues, small victory)

i tried not to let that shit get to me, had fun seeing John & meeting Ben/hanging in his shop. 

I met a dude with a cool e30 & talked to him for a while about his car and that was about it, didn't really care to look at much else.

out of curiosity...what is everyone's ideal car show? 

i just like smaller bmw shows (such as E30 picnic) & going to shows to chat with friends i haven't seen in a while

I run the Tuesday cruise night in Mequon (used to be at Highland House, got kicked out of there for being too big, now we're back at the old Brew City Grill/Sybaris location, but anyway...).  I also organize the Concours BMW show for Badger Bimmers, plus a bunch of other stuff.

This is an issue that comes up every so often. I think the answer is - it depends.  A show like our Tuesday night thing always has been and always will be open to any kind of car anyone wants to bring.  Old, new, interesting, boring, exciting, clean, dirty, whatever.  It's a social thing, and we have space for everyone.  A show like the Concours BMW show is obviously for BMWs only (except for a few non-conformists who bring something else and are too dense to figure it out and we're too polite to expel them).  A show like the Saturday night show at the HAWK in Elkhart Lake shouldn't have Subaru WRXs in it, etc. Space is limited and it does piss me off that a WRX takes the spot away from a "more worthy" car.

But the bottom line is that almost all shows are organized and run by volunteers, and it's already aggravating enough to do all the work and listen to people bitch about this that and the other thing (and snap getting a bagel! :)), to have to worry about pissing off some idiot by telling them their EconoBox SUX isn't a show car.  Life's too short.  I just don't look at cars that don't interest me and so far I'm only halfway to crazy.

Thanks for your work man.  I haven't been to one of your events yet, but when I do I will make sure to mention how ungrateful I am with a 12 pack of whatever floats your boat:)