WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Emissions Help

e36mpwr

Hey guys so my e92 bmw and my fathers work car are due for emission testing and my e92 is fbo catless downpipes and i know neither of us will pass. So i have a cousin in Hartford Wisconsin that im guessing they dont have emissions and how do i go on about this and having the car "stored" there do i have to register the cars again or what?

The car must be registered in that county. You can register it in Milwaukee county for example but note on the paperwork its kept in Racine county w/o having a Racine address. Just don't get pulled over too often in a county or they'll request reregistration.

So can i tegister my car again at the address i have it at but with a different house number in kenosha but state its kept in Hartford Wisconsin.

what? Why would you fail?

as long as you aren't throwing any o2 sensor codes (which you shouldn't because of your tune), you are fine.

Wisconsin got rid of the sniffer test for emissions statewide back in 2008. It's all computers now so as long as you aren't throwing codes you are fine. 

EDIT: I've been passing emissions with catless FBO cars since 2010 without issue. My first acura TL, my 2nd Acura (with a fully built motor no less), and both my 135i's . Never had a problem and I've tested at probably 5 different locations. 

what? Why would you fail?

as long as you aren't throwing any o2 sensor codes (which you shouldn't because of your tune), you are fine.

Wisconsin got rid of the sniffer test for emissions statewide back in 2008. It's all computers now so as long as you aren't throwing codes you are fine. 

EDIT: I've been passing emissions with catless FBO cars since 2010 without issue. My first acura TL, my 2nd Acura (with a fully built motor no less), and both my 135i's . Never had a problem and I've tested at probably 5 different locations.

Hopefully mine passes with But my dads work car got rejected twice and to be honest i dont want to deal with either of the cars and emission.

yes, if you can register the cars, noting the non-emissions requiring county as the 'stored' place, you don't need emissions.

There is a bit more to it though.  First, if your cousin has a hartford address, he is likely in Washington co, which requires emissions.  Second, you need to know the town and county.  I have my cars 'stored' at my inlaws which is in dodge county and the town of herman, yet they have an Iron ridge address.  Make sure you know what to put down so you don't look like an idiot.

But really, like ILC said, it is all computers.  This is not always straight forward either.  Usually if you have no CEL you are good to go, however sometimes certain codes can be 'not ready' which will not cause the CEL to light, but still show up on the scan.  I believe WI allows 2 'not readys' during the scan, but I could be wrong on that.

yes, if you can register the cars, noting the non-emissions requiring county as the 'stored' place, you don't need emissions.

There is a bit more to it though.  First, if your cousin has a hartford address, he is likely in Washington co, which requires emissions.  Second, you need to know the town and county.  I have my cars 'stored' at my inlaws which is in dodge county and the town of herman, yet they have an Iron ridge address.  Make sure you know what to put down so you don't look like an idiot.

But really, like ILC said, it is all computers.  This is not always straight forward either.  Usually if you have no CEL you are good to go, however sometimes certain codes can be 'not ready' which will not cause the CEL to light, but still show up on the scan.  I believe WI allows 2 'not readys' during the scan, but I could be wrong on that.

Anyway you can check what county this adresss is in? Summit st hartford wisconsin 53027-2034

I have registered many, many cars to other counties and have NEVER been questioned whatsoever. In my opinion, you should have done that when registering the car for the first time. Changing it later just looks suspicious. Like what others have said, if there is no check engine light you should be fine for an emissions test.

I was questioned on my last e36 when I registered at a DMV in Milwaukee County but said the car was stored in Walworth county.  I also had a convenient story because my mom lives in East Troy.

My dad switched a car after they couldn't get it to pass emissions and he re-registered it in his fiances name to Walworth county.  The lady gave him a hard time and he just said it was a gift.

It's really not a big deal to re-register the car but if they DMV associate is in enough of a mood they may question you.  Like other's have said though, i'd try and see if it passes first.  The worst that happens is you fail and you re-register it anyways.