WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

is there any local intrest in custom roll cages?

deek10sn

I have been tossing around the idea of offering my services building roll cages beyond friend and family. My questions to wibimmers is

-is there a demand for custom bolt in 4pt or weld in 4/6+ cages?

-what is a good price point for said services?

My personal cage was built to my best interpretation of NASA/scca safety guidelines. Its just something I love to do! Here are a couple of quick pics during the fab. Please discuss!

post-3285-0-99063300-1424926360_thumb.jp

post-3285-0-69638200-1424926382_thumb.jp

post-3285-0-42699700-1424926397_thumb.jp

Good on you, I always like seeing the welding skills of folks that do this.

That said personal interpretation of rule sets can be an issue. NASA/SCCA cage regs for racing prep can be challenging to deal with. Safety requirements on bars versus limits on bars that tech sees as more for structural rigidity, main hoop specs and body clearances, halo, rear, and diagonal bar requirements, etc.

Has the cage in the pictures been through the logbook tech process either by tech inspectors at track or by a NASA/SCCA certified shop, and were there any concerns raised?

Having this experience of success in cars making it through tech and being issued NASA/SCCA logbooks would help build local interest.

Boris, it has not been certified for logbook. It my weekend warrior drift/hpde road america car. As the term of "my interpretation of the rules,". I made that statement because it has not been inspected but it was built to their spec. Maybe pursuit of more education on becoming a certified shop is the way to go. Thanks for your input!

• 1 month later...