WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Help me pick wheel color

i_love_cars

I'm planning to keep my heavy, clearcoat-peeling VMR 710s for winter wheels. 

I was debating between Apex ARC-8 and EC-7, but the EC-7 offsets suck for 135i and are way too flat-faced for the design of the wheel. If i'm gonna be stuck with something flat, I'll get the ARC-8 because it's at least lighter. 

Color indecision is killing me though. I can't decide between anthracite and black. There are few crimson red 135s on the internet that have anthra/black wheels from Apex. 

Here's one with black:  http://s65.photobucket.com/user/95Tim3/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140626_165513.jpg.html

Here's one with anthracite: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1142120&stc=1&d=1421112920

Thoughts? My fear is that the black may hide too much of the detail of the wheel design. I often find that black wheels just look like huge black blobs in the wheelwell of the car, and lack any real clarity into the aesthetic design of the face of the wheel. Anthracite pops a bit more. But I love the aggressive look of the black finish. 

Your link comes up - but the pics aren't loading for me. Can someone copy the link and add the image tags so the pics show up?

Why not have them powder coated or painted and do a custom color?

Interesting you mention that as I just got an email from another buddy suggesting the same thing. I think it's a great idea but if I do that, I still have to swap snow/summer tires twice a year. In a perfect world, I'd have 2 sets of rims. If I can get all 4 wheels powder-coated/refinished for a reasonable cost, it may be worth it, but I'd also need to fix the rash in order to justify the effort of refinishing. 

Some don't care, but I personally can't stand going to meets/shows with blemishes on my car like rims with peeling clear coat and rash. Anything beyond front-bumper rock chips is unacceptable to me. My car has to be immaculate. 

So either I refinish the current rims & fix the rash as best as can be done, or I buy a new set dedicated for summer duty. Here's the other thing - VMR is a cheaper wheel than Apex for sure - I can replace my VMRs for 200 bucks a piece, but the Apex wheels are 300+ each, and no current group buys or future group buys have the necessary offsets for my car. I really love the concavity of the VMR wheels. They are a bit heavier than the Apex, but I only can afford to track 3-4 times per year. The other 97% of the time I would prefer the street aesthetics of the VMR. 

So I think I'm sold on doing some research to refinish the wheels (taking recommendations lol), and if that fails, I will probably just buy a 2nd set of the 710s. 

Black is pretty played out and they can look like steelies when rolling. Also I think those wheels look pretty flat. I love me some concave. Hence my super deep concave Forgestars.

that's correct. very played out. And also yes the Apex wheels are very flat - sadly those are the only 135i offsets they provide. I would only get apex for dedicated track wheel at this point, I think. 

that sunken treasure color is interesting - do we have any photoshop experts that could place one of those wheels on a pic of my car?  ;) 

I would do Hyper silver, but if you go dark, satin black looks pretty nice.

Edit: He said that these were satin black, but the more I look at them the more they look like anthracite

The wheels on that blue m3 are definitely anthracite. 

I had hyper silver on my black 135 and it was great, but for crimson red it just doesn't jive with the rest of the car - I have 12% tint, blacked out kidneys, carbon fiber front splitter, carbon fiber rear diffuser, and my carbon trunk is painted red except for the back top strip which was left carbon. So there are a lot of black/charcoal accents to the car, and it only makes sense that the wheel matches that theme. 

So on that note, I'm pretty much set on a darker color