• No, I start the car, pick my favorite Taylor Swift track and am on my way
    • Not usually, but when its 50 degrees below buttfreezing I will
    • Most winter days I will let my car warm up for a minute or so
    • I never start driving until the engine has warmed up for a few minutes
    • Remote start, watch a few episodes of Dr. Oz before driving
    • I wont start driving until I see coolant boiling out of the overflow

Question

Do you let your car warm up?

I have heard of a couple extreme cases where a guy made his wife walk to work in the winter a few blocks away because not letting it warm up was bad for the engine.

I have also heard of a guy that wouldnt even think about flogging the car until he felt that even the diff oil was up to temperature.  

What do you say?

nice thing with the n52/54/55..er..basically any new bmw  is the electric water pump/thermostat . it starts blowing heat very quickly because it keeps the pump off or on very low till the coolant warms up.. and even when its cold the factory tune limits boost to somewhere around 5 psi till oil is 120f

i let mine run for like a minute when its super cold. otherwise i start driving

"nice" is relative to context - being there is 0 indication that your water pump is about to fail because it's electronic instead of mechanical. So then you get to be like me and one day pull into work only to have your orange water temp light come on and 2 seconds later go red and piss water all over the ground  :lol:  

ahah...ha....ahhhhhhh fuck my life.

Remeber too that the oil pump speed is propotional to engine speed. Oil doesn't compress, so the flow volume should be roughly proportional to rpm. My gut feeling is that an engine spinning 4000rpm doesn't require 4x the oil flow of one that's spinning 1000rpm. The pump is likely sized to provide barely adaquate flow at idle so that there's not exsessive losses and heat generated at higher rpms.

I seem to have the best luck if I just start it and drive. Seems like if I let it mine idle for any length of time on a cold start up, I end up with junk in my ICV and the car starts running like crap. If I just start and go I don't seem to have too many problems. I live in town, so I don't end up going much over 30mph for the first 5 minutes or so anyway.