WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Hyundai snags BMW M Division Engineering Chief

B C

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/12/22/hyundai-poaches-bmw-m-engineering-chief/

The Hyundai Motor Group may be getting more serious about its performance credentials, but in order to realize its goal of making more serious performance machinery, it's going to need the expertise to get there. Fortunately that's just what it's acquired in hiring Albert Biermann.

The former chief engineer at BMW M GmbH, Biermann has been working for the Bavarian automaker for over three decades now, and since his appointment as Vice President of Engineering at the M division, was most recently responsible for developing the latest M3M4 and M6 – not to mention bridging the gap between BMW's standard models and its M lineup with the M Performance range. But now the 57-year-old German has been named the Korean group's new head of Vehicle Test & High Performance Development.

In his new job, Biermann will be based out of Hyundai's R&D center in Namyang, South Korea, and will be tasked with "the development of new high performance Hyundai and Kia models" while also working to improve the two brands' ride, handling, safety, reliability and NVH reductions. The appointment makes Biermann the second high-ranking German executive the Korean automaker brought on board, after chief designer Peter Schreyer.

Although Hyundai recently shut down its US racing program with Rhys Millen Racing, it has embarked on an ambitious assault of the World Rally Championship, and recently opened a test center at the Nürburgring with an eye towards launching a new N performance line that sounds like it'll be right up Biermann's alley.

The Koreans got better quite rapidly during the early 2000's after a retired  Toyota quality engineer 

leaked some confidential documents. In my mind they have plateaued a bit over the last 4-5 years but im sure this will be a very very good thing for them. 

Maybe Hyundai's aggressiveness and ambition will allow him the freedom to inject some sweet dynamics into budget-friendly cars. 

Hyundai/ Kia had four of the top 20 selling cars in the U.S. this year.  I am impressed with the growth that they've had and the market share they gained.  I didn't think that their up-market move would work as well as it has but offering turning Hyundai into a cheap psuedo-luxury brand has done wonders for them.

They have been on the right path and leading up to this move with vehicles like the Genesis, which by all means is a good looking, cheap, rwd coupe.  I still don't see the quality in them when they are in the shops though.  It's not on the same level as Mercedes, BMW or even Lexus.

Breaking_News1.jpg

HYUNDAI QUALITY STILL NOT ON THE SAME LEVEL AS MERCEDES, BMW, OR EVEN LEXUS!

MORE ON THIS AT 6:00!!!

I hate you... lol

I said this because Hyundai is marketing their Genesis and Equus as German equivalents.  The Equus starts at $61k!!!  Kia has the K900 that starts at $54k!  These are not the budget minded cars that they used to be.  In magazine comparisons they are throwing these cars in with the Germans.  The article you posted states that they opened a performance test facility at the Ring and will be launching an N performance line, presumably named after the Nurburgring.

Talk to people who are looking to purchase one and more often than not you will hear "oh, it has all the same widgets as a *insert German* so it must be good".

The domestics are really good at overpromising and underselling.

You can find loads of features available in American cars that you dont find in most/any German premium cars but as you alluded to it doesn't amount to it being a better car. 

The fact that you can say your car was "tested at the Nurburgring" is neat, but whenever I hear that its like the "what do you call a doctor who is last in his class..... a doctor".

imagine an old pickup truck understeering and going off-track on every corner on the ring. Technically it was "tested at the Nurburgring"

aaaanyways,  the Catera was a huge flop that was supposed to compete with the Germans and was even touted as being "German Engineered"

catera-2.jpg

I know that Hyundai has already proven itself a worthy competitor in the entry-level luxury market and dipped their toes in the entry-level sports coupe market. 

Hopefully they can put some real suspension on the Veloster while they are at it. 

On the same token, I hope that whoever takes his spot at BMW does wonderful things for the M division.

It's not the major problems but the multiple smaller problems that are annoying on these turds.  Yes, you can buy one with heated seats and bluetooth and auto leveling HID headlights and pleather and navigation and all of that other crap but my experience with them is that all of that stuff breaks often.  One thing or another is usually not working on them.  It's not apples to apples when your looking at the construction and the quality of product that they're putting into the car.

A little part of me dies every time A family member or a friend buys one.  I've gotten to a point where I just stop telling people what I think once they've bought them and they ask me what I think of them.  My typical response is, "Do you like it?  You do?  Then that's my opinion."

I will never buy a KIA/Hyundai. All they do is copy good things from other companies, whether its looks or features. Now they might make to 150k without major problems but what car doesn't? Sent from my potato phone

i completely agree,

they cant come up with a original design its simply imposable for them 

With the direction the M brand has been moving, this isn't such a huge deal.  There is a possibility that we may see some REALLY cool things out of Hyundai, signaling that this guy was stifled and directed by the bean counters at BMW, or we may see the same crappy branded SUV crap at Hyundai that we've been seeing come out of BMW.

I can't hate BMW for their "crappy branded suv crap" when the products they put out made them the top selling luxury brand. That is money they have used to grow the M brand and support racing efforts. They need to make mass market products and remain profitable or those great cars they used to make is all we will ever have to look forward to.