WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

'04 e46 underside of dash view

FullThrottle e46

Question

Not sure what you mean? What are you trying to accomplish?

FullThrottle e46

Yesterday, 10:40 PM

Thanks guys for the speedy replies. : D

I have quite a personal situation.

I need to see what all of the wiring looks like behind the steering column and up under the driver's foot panel as well as the EWS exactly as it looks right out of the factory. I need to see the same for the trunk.

I've taken many pictures of blatantly obvious tampering in both areas as evidenced by appearance, a white zip tie securing the huge thick group of wires and the dust disturbance pattern and fingerprints. There was absolutely no repair/service done in these areas. I have all of the records and a car fax. I contacted 2 separate service advisors, one being a manager with regard to the white zip tie and I showed several clear pictures. I know that all zip ties are black for the wiring when Bimmers are manufactured. I never heard back from either manager to include the Service Manager at BMW. The car was a 1 owner when I bought it in June of 2011. I spoke with the original owners and they absolutely did not have anything installed aftermarket or through the dealer.

Now about the dash I am trying to get in as deep as possible to check it out. I did carefully look as far in as I could behind the glove box, odometer and up in the back of the interior of the driver's foot well. What else can I feasibly remove?

I'm trying to get as much of this done myself to keep the final locating and removal expense for a hopefully final professional investigator that specializes in electronic situations and cyber stuff too. The signal my car is emitting has been professionally verified and the new guy will have to reverify it (to the tune of $350 and then $85/hr to locate them and remove while keeping the evidence intact for the authorities).
I am working with the police and they'll move forward just as soon as I get the major evidence to them because it is the nucleus that ties everything together. I'm in a race to get these out because these individuals have been clearly attempting to break into my car and not to mention vandalizing it while doing so. They are also vandalizing it "just because." It has also been realized that they have access to my underground parking garage at my apartment and of course there are no cameras. I've spent a few nights in the garage to guard my car and hopefully catch it. I've since been aligning my car closely up to the wall in my stall as well as all the way way back. I then get out through the front passenger door. Next, I move both front seats all the way forward and pull the fuses for both seat adjustments and the starter fuse too. I do have additional locking safety mechanism engaged to include the trunk because then the trunk can't be opened from inside the cabin and it sure looks like one of those high pressure inflatable pillows has clearly been used due to the damage and the separation it caused on the left trunk crease. I also have my hood release covered with gorilla tape as well as the interior emergency trunk release plastic triangle. I also had my 2 master keys reprogrammed some time ago because they were not synced when I took delivery of the car. My front grilles have been broken out because the plastic clips have been pried off.

Guys, it isn't my intention at all to clog up the forum at all. I'm just in such a serious situation and the Service Manager that I've known for decades at Tom Bush BMW in Jacksonville, FL guided me on some very important things to have done and advised me to join a forum cuz you guys (I'm assuming the majority are male) are Bimmer geniuses with superior experience. Now, that isn't the only reason I joined of course. ; )

Ok. I got it. Thanks. So that answers the question of there being 1 new white zip tie amongst all others that are black, perhaps. However, the tampering is grossly obvious and left the wiring bundle/s a frazzled mess. Not to mention the obvious difference in the dust pattern that clearly correlates with one being equivalent to the age of the car in comparison to the disturbed areas, as the original dust beard happens to be missing.

Snap,

My modules are located in a box under the hood in the engine compartment, whereas the fuse box is behind the glove box. Your pic is completely different than how my car is laid out.

: O

Take a peek through the hole here and you may see some fuses behind the glove box :)

09f3666f294a4b662d9df0f98137b25c.jpg

Are you having electrical issues that you believe are due to a shop tampering with it?

Hey again Snap, do you have a picture of the entire driver's side of the wiring? The thick group of wires that I'm referring to in particular is behind and up from the driver's side foot well panel that goes from right under the steering column down to just above the pedals. All zip ties up under there are black except for this white one that is securing the huge bundle of wires and is located all the way left, and is close/in front of the EWS. Oh, and the EWS is missing one of its nuts and the area up under there is all scratched and scuffed up. As far as the trunk goes, all of the black plastic pins that secure the carpet panel along the inside of the quarter panel (covering battery compartment obviously).

I'm in my car right now and actually have tried to post a pic but am unsuccessful. I've had my glovebox removed for some time now, and yes, this pic is the correct layout.

No electrical problems at all and the only shop that had access to this vehicle was the dealership. It's a complicated situation I have and the following and harassing definitely began a week after I took delivery of the car. Three weeks went by from when I first saw the car and immediately expressed my interest to when I actually picked it up. The second individual involved does have strong connections at the dealership and she also found out I was buying this exact vehicle through her cousin who I had lunch with 5days after I started working on buying it. AND he is the only person I told about the car. It's quite possible that someone came in and tedt drove it for an entire afternoon, as that would be the minimum amount of time required for the non Joe-Blow hardwired installation. I asked my salesman if anyone test drove the vehicle and he said he couldn't find that information out, to which I asked him why he can't since they always take your driver's license and a form is filled out too and He had no explanation.

I have been warned and threatened that I better wait to take final evidence to the police until right before I'm moving out of town because if someone ends up serving time, I will suffer severe consequences.

Hey again Snap, do you have a picture of the entire driver's side of the wiring? The thick group of wires that I'm referring to in particular is behind and up from the driver's side foot well panel that goes from right under the steering column down to just above the pedals. All zip ties up under there are black except for this white one that is securing the huge bundle of wires and is located all the way left, and is close/in front of the EWS. Oh, and the EWS is missing one of its nuts and the area up under there is all scratched and scuffed up. As far as the trunk goes, all of the black plastic pins that secure the carpet panel along the inside of the quarter panel (covering battery compartment obviously).

*****I overlooked finishing the last sentence, which is that all of those plugs are missing*****

so is someone repeatedly breaking into your car and taking stuff or trying to take your car? I'm confused with your situation, because why would someone who is trying to mess with you put everything back together? why would some one who tried to steal your car bundle the wires and then put a zip tie to make sure you don't notice? if you're trying to get the people who are messing with your car, I would suggest putting a camera or something in your car or around it to catch them in the act you could also park near a camera outside of your apartment complex instead of parking in the parking lot. I don't think you will get any where with a different colored zip tie and dust not being were its not supposed to be.

Sorry about some lack of clarity on my part. :o

In going back and re-reading there are a few detail that I did not finish explaining. I've gone back and updated one.

Ok my problem is there are 2 gps tracking devices that were illegally put on my vehicle and are hardwired in. No one is breaking into my car to steal it. They are trying to break into it to remove these units because they know I'm fully aware of them being there and the signal has been verified professionally. They're fully aware that I'm working with the police and that this is a felony. There's a lot at stake for them (their livelihood and probably serving time, etc..). See we originally thought that the device had to be on the outside of the car and I spent a good amount of time and money pursuing that possibility. I then had someone that was somewhat more experienced and more money and time was spent checking all of the obvious possible areas to check out inside the car. The search was not deep though. Obviously when these devices are installed the placement choice isn't going to be easy or obvious. What I assumed to be an easy task of locating and removing it turned out to not to be. Then, when money allowed again we went deeper by checking the main wiring on the driver's side of the car by removing the footwell panel. That was quite enlightening to say the least. I needed for resources...money and someone with much greater experience. We did not figure out that they had been attempting to break into the car as discreetly as possible until 2 mos ago, and shortly thereafter I confirmed that they were actually doing this to likely a good extent in my supposedly secure underground parking garage at my apartment. I'll also add here that we've been documenting obvious handprints and fingerprints on the outside of the chassis that would cycle and move from one wheel well to another and also both bumpers.

Yes this is a story. I'm wondering what type of person puts a tracking device in a car? A clingy ex lover or the FBI maybe? I hope nothing bad happens to you or your car. I would look into some camera set up or even an expensive alarm system. I remember seeing something like this on vw vortex and the guy stopped posting. Have you located the tracking device in the car?

Oddly enough I had a customer a few years back who brought her car to me to have it searched for a GPS device because her ex-husband was a bit controlling.  The person who took the order thought she was nuts but by this time I had heard enough crazy stories that I didn't even question it.

Your story sounds a bit out there to some people but I believe every word of it.