WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

'88 Vert project

nick.e46.330i.

Okay, as some of you know I purchased an '88 convertible earlier this year. Yesterday was the first day that I started to do anything with it. (didnt do very much but still it's a start) Yesterday i started on getting the engine and trans ready so it can be pulled from the car. Here is a progress picture.

10447047_10203385602674349_6457164127514

On another note, the full swap is for sale. It has 153k on it. It will come with engine, trans, harness, ecu, and driveshaft. $600 obo

Yea, it'll be a 24V. I'm going to be buying a M50B25TU from Jake S. I've talked with him and made a deal. Just got to get some money together for him before he moves. As for my end goal, I'm not 100% sure. As of now I want to go for some sort of boost. But i have thought about high compression build. But before i do any modifying on the engine I am just going to get it running in the car and do all the body work and get it repainted. And thanks to Andy E i got the vaders.  :) 

Here is another picture from when i first bought it.

IMG 0060[1]

And here are the wheels that are going to be going on it.

IMG 0092[1]

Also it's getting a 5 lug swap. All I need for the swap still is 96+ m3 control arms which I'm still in search of. And Ti rear trailing arm but i know where there is a Ti in a junkyard that I'm going to pull them off of.

I think it helps being a vert, people probably didn't winter drive them much/at all.  I would pop the tar off that is under the carpet, I found a decent amount of surface rust on my e36 from trapped moisture under the tar.  Heat gun or dry ice works well for removing it.  Looks like you are moving right along.

• 2 weeks later...

So I took off that rubber may that is on the fire wall and where ever there was a stud on the passenger side firewall it was rusted out pretty bad around them. So if anyone has A junk parts car that the firewall is still fine and is willing to cut it apart let me know. Just trying to find one before I just get steel from work and fix it from scratch.

• 4 weeks later...

Here are some better pictures of the rust on the firewall.

post-2647-0-29718700-1408083220_thumb.jp

post-2647-0-13914100-1408083282_thumb.jp

There is two rust hole in the floor pans of the car. One being right where your heel would be in front of the gas pedal and the other being right next to a plug in the floor on the passenger side.

And I picked up some e36 front struts yesterday. I got them in and test fitted one of the rs's.

post-2647-0-39401900-1408083327_thumb.jp

• 2 months later...

Just a little update.. 

I sandblasted the rear sub frame, trailing arms, and rear calipers and carriers. 

Got the rear calipers and carriers powder coated gloss black. They were powder coated at Naylors' custom metal cutting.post-2647-0-99556600-1414183610_thumb.jp 

I'm going to be getting the sub frame and trailing arms powder coated matte black. These will be done at my work.

As for the rust situation, I made the battery tray piece out of 16 gauge steel and got a flat piece of 16 gauge to fix the rest. 

Looks nice, what media are you using for blasting?  I have used 80 grit glass bead which worked fantastic but is expensive.  Lately I have been using some stuff called black blast, not sure what it is but it is a little more aggressive than the bead but much cheaper 7.50/50lb.  I am working outside so about 25% seems to get lost in the wind lol.