WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

The E46 M3 Journal

DrLeadFoot

Got in the garage for 1 hour.

New Clutch!

Pressure plate torqued to 18ft/lbs

Transmission bolted up!

The header flanges were not aligned.  Machine shop straightened them out.

Two edges didn't get get totally flat but all will be good.

Need to torque down the transmission then get the engine on the cherry picker.  After that I'll bolt on the SMG unit and headers.

Installing the motor!  29 degrees out wasn't too cold as long as you keep moving quick.

Hooked up the SMG system.

Swapped the exhaust studs out for the longer m50 studs and red loctite.

New nuts and gaskets.  Red loctite'd the nuts as well.

Billy working on the exhaust

MT2 for the trans fluid

Making room for the cherry picker.

Motor close to being bolted up!

Making some solid progress with this warmer weather.  Yesterday I wrapped up the day with the motor hanging on the hoist and the front subframe hanging and not bolted up.  This morning I wrestled around with the subframe and finally got it bolted up after awhile.  I needed to slide the driver's side control arm into the lollipop.  Used some chain wax and a tie down to pull it into place.

This was hooked on the passenger side to pull the driver's side control arm backwards.

After that was in I used some crowbars to glide it into place.  Also adjusted the hoist on the motor and floor jack on the trans to get the right fit.  All that took about 1 hour.  Annoying but exciting when it was bolted up.  Torqued the subframe to 90nm and the motor mounts to 49nm.  Used red loctite on all the motor mount threads.

Took the intake off to gain access to everything.

Motor sitting where it should be!

Hoist out of the way.  BYE FELICIA!!!!!

New OEM BMW trans mounts.  All tightened up!

Getting there!

Home sweet home.

Need to plug in the wires for the SMG and motor.  Pop in 1 O2 sensor, exhaust gas temp sensor, firewall coolant hoses, driveshaft, intake manifold, radiator, fluids, bumper, lights............Start??

The 2004 engine harness had a 2 prong plug for one of the ecu area plugs. The 2003 body harness had a 3 prong plug. Snip snip!

3c4d09dd03cfb7e5e2ebf3a30eb7a02b.jpg

5b642eb077182437876f7b1de9061a3b.jpg

Computer is all plugged in. Serpentine belts installed. Next is pop on the intake and radiator. Add fluids and I need to break into my trunk because my latch is broken and my battery is disconnected. Then start it up and pray!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Im guessing you had a jumper pack on it? Hate to ask the obvious questions but hows the battery voltage?

My voltage meter is in my e30 trunk which has the whole e46 front end on top of it.

The battery is about 1 year old and is an OEM bmw unit. It should hold a charge once fully charged up. Do that first and reassess. If that doesn't work, replace the starter with the original one. The one in the car now is a non-bmw re-man unit.

Also need to look into properly getting the smg unit bled. The pump makes noise but doesn't go into gear.

The car is in "0" but maybe the clutch isn't disengaged.

The car should start with the hood open but you can't shift it into gear.

I have 12.4 volts at the battery in the trunk and started.

I jumped the starter with a screw driver and it works.

I feel it's the key not talking to the car. There is a name for the system but it escapes me. I'll also make sure my slave shaft is sitting on the fork.

I might be able to get a house call for bleeding the system as a mechanic owes me a favor.

My issue:

The trans is physically in neutral and still in 0.

- Brand new key from BMW.
- 12.4 volts on the battery.
- The starter works fine and turns the engine over after testing it.
- Replaced the salmon relay with one I know was working.
- No blown fuses, #14 & #30 are good and tested good.
- Hydraulic fluid is filled topped off in the reservoir.
- Hood is closed.
- SMG shifter unit tested and is sending a signal.  (Flashes 0 and doesn't go into 1 or R)
- New clutch installed.
- New transmission shift springs.

The car won't start or shift out of 0 into 1 or reverse.  Yellow SMG light is on and it just flashes 0.

A BMW tech came over and hooked up the computer and there is something not talking to the starter telling it to start.  Should I have him reset the system?  Bleed it?  Bad slave cylinder?  I think the SMG system might have been upside down and leaked some fluid from the reservoir hole.

There was water in my SMG circular connector but I cleaned it out and sprayed electrical connector cleaner all over it and blew it out with an air hose.

Please help!!!