WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

The E46 M3 Journal

DrLeadFoot

So its probably going to handle pretty well or something

That's what all the Internets say...

I was able to get all this done today due to having my wife ( business partner) and associate outside with me. They had the laptops running and I was dictating emails and working on follow up for 7 hours. Between the 3 of us we got a ton done, be it work and bimmer!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Ordered some goodies.206f2e3b8f630f2f9754836900eb0030.jpg

Dunno if you have already but consider getting the reinforcements for the rear spring perch from rogue engineering. Can try garagistic at a lower price. http://www.rogueengineering.com/Rogue-Engineering-Rear-Spring-Perch-Reinforcement-E46_p_124.html

Ordered

Dyno is very frightening actually. 

what are we going to do to celebrate the impending successful SMG repair?

SMG seems to be working perfectly!

Now chasing codes 174 and 175. Pre-cat O2 rich codes. After sitting all night it does not start on the first crank. Turn off key and retry and it starts. Leaky injectors?

I can't remember if I swapped over all injectors from the old motor or just the #6 injector.

Celebrate? Might buy me an engine stand!

Chasing some issues. Corrected the no-start first crank issue by replacing the DME and injector relays. Not sure with one did the trick but it seems to like it and fires right up.

For the 175 & 174 codes I replaced the crank case breather. The light stayed off longer than normal (35 miles) then popped on after red lining 2 & 3rd.

What the heck!?

Cleaned the MAF and rotated it outside of the usual spot I place it in. 100 miles later no engine light.

Need to pass emissions. Does the dmv scanner just look to see if the secondary air pump is working? Might have to plug it in to pass.

Also, it seems that emissions requires the A/C refrigerant to be charged. Why?

While I'm patiently waiting for the tune from Frank Smith I directed my attention to some other items.

The passenger door has been extremely hard to open. So took care of that. It's like butter now.

6403471f2d87ed1b361f6e6721c0a6db.jpg

The door card was rattling so hard I thought the speaker was blown but found out it needed some new plastic mounting pins with a rubber washer on them. Also added some weather stripping to tighten things up in there. It helped a ton but isn't perfect.

60d302bd97058320dae90c0362da7830.jpg

The tweeter by the passenger door handle had a broken connector so I got a new tweeter. Plugged it in but it is still not working. I'll have to look into this more.

Ordered a couple goodies for the rear suspension. Rear ball joints for the upper and lower and some SPC control arms.

Rear ball joints.

Haven't seen those in a while.

Glad it all seems to be behaving for you now. You deserve a few years of problem free e46 m3 ownership after what you have put into this thing

Seeing someone I know experiencing gremlins on a newer bmw and resolve them makes me feel a little better about the thought of owning something newer than an Isetta

The passenger door handle is like butter now! So nice it makes my drivers door feel like I'm starting a rusty lawn mower.

The tweeter works but only after I jerk the car to the right while driving and slowly bring it back to center. WTF. It sounds great when it works.

The cherry on top is that I passed emissions!! This whole process has been exactly a year in the making. In the end I have a fully gone through M3 (minus engine internals) with almost all new parts bolted to it. It is running strong! Beyond glad I didn't give up on it and sell it to tsweers89. #nah

I'll go through the rear suspension in the next week or two and it should be totally mechanically sound.

Things I want to do:

-New windshield

-New steering wheel

-Paint Hood

-New floor mats

-New interior rubber coated pieces.

Did you replace the door latch to fix the issue of having to yank super hard on the door handle? I'm just curious as my girlfriend's e46 coupe is getting to be that way and adjustment of the outside door handles has done very little to help.

The door latch is what did the trick.