WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Ratrod

Brian.

So, I've been toying the idea. I've wanted a ratrod since I was a kid. I'm finally realizing, a ratrod is easily doable with the right amount of time. Money isn't an issue, due to ratrods meaning to be cheap, and rad.

I'm thinking so heavily about starting a ratrod project, that I'm debating on pushing my E28 turbo build off to the side, or selling it all together, and going with the ratrod build. 

I'm looking at doing it with either a Ford Tudor.

ShowTell-Brads30FordRatRod-0031.jpg

ford-tudor-sedan-01.jpg

Or start out with a 1930's Chevy.

1384271908_ffc4f66190_o.jpg

Obviously these aren't factory. Their done to the owners likings, I want mine done different then these.

I love the low slung look (if you can't tell by my BMW's already)

I don't want bags. I want a really minimalist setup. 

Anyone else ever wanna build one? Or see one online that was really sweet looking?

IMG_0749-1.jpg?t=1286082511

I will have one of these someday.

I love that jeep! looks damn good with meaty tires on it.

It must handle like shit with those green wheels. 

also. 

I'd rather have a car that I feel decently safe about going over 60mph in. 

A ratrod is good for going to car meets, doing burnouts, and cruising at city speeds when you are 55+ years old and your penUs has failed you. 

Their not built to handle like their on rails Bryan, their built to cruise.

Also, if you know how to weld, anything is decently safe at 60mph. My E28's don't have air bags. Your E30 doesn't have air bags.

A ratrod is not for someone 55+ with a roof line sub 38" it'd be a pain to get in an out of at that age.

I'd cruise anywhere with a ratrod so long as I know it's reliable. I want a simple build, manual roll up windows, with the front window that flips out a bit. comfortable low slung seats, heat, etc. I also have a daily, so a hotrod wouldn't be a DD...

Oh Brain, im just busting your balls,

...ya bish

how about a very unconventional rat rod though, say built off a 70's american boat.  

Nope, I think they look out of place, I like the typical chassis starting point, late 20's through early 40's sedans chopped, Z'd and low.

Traditional hot rod > rat rod.

Define traditional hot rod? Like... Shiny, all chrome everything? I'm not a huge fan of garage queens, cars that just sit waiting to be shown, an hardly driven. Although, if I ever run into millions, I'll for sure own a few. they look super nice...

Why not a turbo e28 rat rod project? Be different for heaven sakes!!!

Be different? List off the amount of times you've seen a real rat rod. Like the ones I posted. You simply don't. A rat rod E28 would look like a podge job. And my Bronze E28 is way to nice to chop and all that shit. also not the chassis style I'd want for a rat rod build. Rat rods only look good from mid 20's-early 40's.

Define traditional hot rod? Like... Shiny, all chrome everything? I'm not a huge fan of garage queens, cars that just sit waiting to be shown, an hardly driven. Although, if I ever run into millions, I'll for sure own a few. they look super nice...

Be different? List off the amount of times you've seen a real rat rod. Like the ones I posted. You simply don't. A rat rod E28 would look like a podge job. And my Bronze E28 is way to nice to chop and all that shit. also not the chassis style I'd want for a rat rod build. Rat rods only look good from mid 20's-early 40's.

This is a good point, I say go for it!  But don't ditch the e28's

There is a guy that comes to local car shows with what I think is an old Willys truck?  It's not chopped and low but has the rat rod "patina" its built on an s10 frame/ running gear and has an LS1 I think.  Anyway, the bumpers are big logging chain with the links welded together so it is solid and then smaller chain making stalk type things with the taillights mounted to them.  I thought it looked pretty cool

There is a guy that comes to local car shows with what I think is an old Willys truck?  It's not chopped and low but has the rat rod "patina" its built on an s10 frame/ running gear and has an LS1 I think.  Anyway, the bumpers are big logging chain with the links welded together so it is solid and then smaller chain making stalk type things with the taillights mounted to them.  I thought it looked pretty cool

Sick!  Pics or didn't happen...

There is a guy that comes to local car shows with what I think is an old Willys truck? It's not chopped and low but has the rat rod "patina" its built on an s10 frame/ running gear and has an LS1 I think. Anyway, the bumpers are big logging chain with the links welded together so it is solid and then smaller chain making stalk type things with the taillights mounted to them. I thought it looked pretty cool

That sounds awesome!

My buddy has one, it doesn't do anything for me. I also saw a bunch at a carshow in chicago years ago and I was unimpressed, those cars were built with a large budget to look like a poor person with a mig welder did the work.

That said, do what makes you happy and fuck everyone else. :)

This is a good point, there are big budget rat rods paid for by people who know nothing about how to do any of the work, which I don't feel is a really the "essence" of what a rat rod is.

I feel like Brian will be actually building it himself with odds and ends found for cheap.  That is what a true rat rod is.