WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Legit Painters around here?

Ryan...

Anybody here have experience painting cars? Looking to drink free beer, eat free pizza, and if you play your cards right get a sneaky back massage when the other helpers aren't looking? If so, I got a gig for you!

I'm going to be painting my WRX this winter, full body repaint, full on amateur clusterfuck expected, should be a swell time.

My car's paint right now is about a 2.5/10, so I'm gonna be happy with anything that looks better than a 6/10 from 20 yards out.

PS. it's gonna be matte white.

What type of paint are you considering ( poly, enamal )?

I've not yet decided aka I have no idea.

How bad is the paint on your WRX? You say it's rough, but I have seen some amazing feats carried out by skilled detailers. Got any photos? I worked in a body shop for a couple years and have painted a couple cars. I'm not volunteering to paint, but maybe I can help give you some prep pointers.

It's got rust stuck in the clear coat, about 200 key marks, dents missing paint from impact, and just being silver in general is a problem. I can try to snap some pics tomorrow.

I'd be willing to give you a hand and could probably do the paint like GunMetalGrey's first car ( now on his 8th).

The painting is the easy part. There is a heckuva lot of prep time. Mostly if changing color on door jambs, fender troughs under the hood etc.

Most people are intimidated by body work, but it can be fun and worth the effort if you do it yourself. 

I'd be willing to give you a hand and could probably do the paint like GunMetalGrey's first car ( now on his 8th).

The painting is the easy part. There is a heckuva lot of prep time. Mostly if changing color on door jambs, fender troughs under the hood etc.

Most people are intimidated by body work, but it can be fun and worth the effort if you do it yourself. 

I agree with the giant font guy. I actually enjoy body work for some reason. The results are in the prep.

Used to own a body shop. I'd be willing to help, but alot of the stuff we had got lost/stolen. I'll see what I can scrounge up out of storage for ya. Aside from that, all I have is the full car paint booth, and the huge ass air compressor.

Also, using plasti-dip myself. I'll say it's the dumbest product ever.

In fact, plasti dip is quite brilliant being cost-effective and all. It allows you to try out different colors without the risk of ruining what you have already. It protects surfaces from chipping, fading, scratching and corrosion. Why would you knock such an innovative product? Is it because of the "fad" element?