WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

New Daily

Earl

1990 Honda Prelude Si. I was going to buy a 92 525i, but the owner didn't show up to our arrangements and he stopped contacting me.

I found this yesterday trying to find any other clean car in the price range. It is a Utah car. The guy I bought it from had looked at 10 other preludes before this one in search of finding the cleanest one. He also bought a parts car that had perfect tail lights, side markers, and fog lights and switched them over.

I very happy with the purchase so far. Car runs great and travels down the road with no rattles or shimmys. The only rust are three little spots of surface rust at the common spots. It actually looks to have just started so I can catch it and prevent it. Otherwise there are only a handful of qwerks about the car. Right turn signal bulb is out in the dash, power steering doesn't work (might just need fluid), top windshield trim fell off on his way to meeting me yesterday (clips back on), and the speed sensor is acting up so the speedometer works intermittently and the actual mileage on the car is off a bit I'm assuming. It doesn't bother me because it is the lowest miles I found in the price range too. Timing belt and water pump were also done as soon as he bought the car in December. Another perk is that the interior is in equally awesome shape. I would go as far as saying it is an 8 or maybe 9 out of 10. I didn't look at it too hard because it was insanely better than expected.

SDC13954_zps718011fc.jpg

SDC13955_zps115d2741.jpg

SDC13956_zps6a382586.jpg

Rag under the front end due to power steering fluid leaking. Found why it isn't working=P lol No biggie. I'll probably loop the hose because I'm sure the pump is fucked. Surprisingly no oil leaks so far and the oil was at perfect level. Slight lifter noise, but I think that's normal. I mean....it is a Honda=)

Looks nice!  Now you just need to fix the rust and paint it flat green, maybe some stripes.

You may want to try to fix the power steering.....that pump might be OK, if it's leaking that means it hasn't dried up.

Well the power steering isn't assisting steering at all so I think it is done for. Looping the line will be simple enough for me. It will be easier to steer with it looped versus now and right now I don't even mind it. I will be keeping an eye on the rust. I just went out to take a closer look and one spot looks like it may have been repaired (or maybe just touched up). I won't be full on repairing any of it as this thing will probably see winter, but I will keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get any worse. I'm registering it tonight. Hopefully it is hassle free.

So far so good.

I was taking the cluster out last night to see if the speedo issue might be a lose connector and came to a conclusion. At some point in time, someone with little to no mechanical knowhow had this car. So many broken tabs, stripped screws, wrong screws in the wrong spots, missing screws, and so on. It makes me sick digging into cars and finding this. I gave up trying to get at the back of the cluster because I didn't want to get stuck at a point where I couldn't get it back together for the next day. I'll look more into it Saturday evening. I won't be sticking a ton of money into this car, but I will be replacing and fixing shotty repairs. It'll be a nice dependable daily that I can trust. It really needs wheels and a drop though=P lol

I drove the compact low for one winter and never had an issue=) The tires were bald to cords too. I actually preferred that over how my Volkswagen drove during this past winter. I would be going with coils though and COULD raise it a bit for winter. We will see what happens. Knowing me I won't do anything to the Prelude besides maintenance and I will try and get the compact done=)

• 3 weeks later...

I replaced the plug wires, plugs, distributor cap and now the air filter. She feels a lot healthier. I need to get the stripped screw out of the rotor so I can put the new one in too. A vice grips didn't work. I either need to slot the head and try a big flathead, drill it out, or use a screw extractor. I also need to adjust the valve lash and loop the power steering yet. I haven't wanted to spend much time working on this thing. lol I still have honda surge and it is getting worse. I should pull the IACV off and clean it. I'm sure some other intake gaskets need to be changed too. So far it is a lot less trouble than the volkswagen was and it isn't a horrible looking car.

• 1 month later...

Nothing has broken on this car yet surprisingly. I need to grab an ICV from the junkyard and clean it to fix my idle issues. I should probably adjust the valve lash too because it seems to be getting louder. I am just too lazy to touch this thing.

I did however have a cheap, creative idea for some period correct wheels=) (roll in the photoshop)

astrowheels_zpsbb5abe9a.jpg

Earl, I have to ask... how many cars do you have? lol.

Also, is the M3 in your sig yours?

I technically have 3 cars=) I have my 1990 Honda Prelude Si as my daily beater, the 1995 BMW 318ti (which was my daily and is now being built), and a 1986 Chrysler Conquest TSi that was my original build but I gave up on it because I got too interested in my 318ti.

That would be my compact in my signature on the way home from Eurowerks last year.

• 3 months later...

I finally am fixing this thing. I am 98% done with the coolant bypass. This will rid me of my idle surge and make idle soley controlled by the idle screw on the throttle body.

In the process of this I accidentally leaned on my pcv valve and snapped it off in the valvecover. I am in the process of removing that right now.

I got the rest of the pvc valve out using an o-ring pick. I installed the new valve cover gasket, plugged the last coolant line, put the cover back on, put the new pcv valve in and now it runs great with no idle surge.

It idles at 500rpm which feels a little too low since it wants to shut off when I let off the clutch. I will adjust it up to 750rpm and she should be great.