WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Need your opinion

mmradix

Not exactly sure but a good way to approach it is this:

You:  Hello, I'm interested in that 02 Coupe over there

Salesdouche:  Oh, that black one?

Y: Yes, the Black coupe

S: Hmm, well, that is one of the nicest cars here.

Y: Why is that, I mean, I like it, but there are a lot of nice cars here.

S: True, however that one is a 6speed Manual and a coupe.

Y: Right, I know.  Anyway, I'm looking to trade in my 03 here

S. The Silver one.....it looks like there is something wrong with the top of the car, what is the deal?

Y: There is nothing wrong, see the top works fine.

S: Oh, it's a convertible.....yeah, see this 02 is a coupe.

Y: Yeah, I know

S: Ok, so you see it's superiority

Y: Um, whatever.......so....

S:  Woah!  Yours is an SMG?!?

Y: Yeah, but it shifts fi.....

S: I'm sure it does, but you realize this 02 is a 6 speed?

Y: Yes, I know....Listen, I'm interested in the 02, but I'd like to trade my 03.

S: You want me to just 'trade' you this Black 02 6 Speed coupe for your Silver 03 SMG convertible?   Just like that, like it's no big thing?

Y: Well, I know I'd probably have to throw in some cash on the deal, mine does have more miles

S: MORE MILES!?!  WTF are you trying to pull here?  First off, this 02 is Black, an obviously superior color.  I think all cars that aren't black do a disservice to all cars.  Second, this is a 6 Speed, y'know, like a real car, with a shifter and a clutch?  BMW's are the ultimate driving machine, not Kayaks, they aren't supposed to have paddles.  Finally, this car in a coupe.  That is REAL metal over your head, shit gets crazy your hair won't be the only thing between your skull and the pavement.  The ONLY thing you have going for you is that yours is an 03, which is technically newer, but I don't even really like 2003 in general, my wife left me that year...that bitch.

Y: OK, so.....is there a way we can work out a trade?  I get all your points, sorry about your wife, you are probably better off.

S: WHAT!?!  I loved her, she was the greatest woman on earth!  You litle piece of shit......listen, here is what I'm going to do.  I'm going to write a number on this peice of paper, that number is what you are going to have to pay me, on top of taking your 03 on trade, OK?

Y: Geez, sorry.......OK, but I might counter

S: There will be no counter, I write a number and that is what it will be, you don't like it?  Take your car somewhere else....

Y:  OK, OK, write the number.

And then you pay that.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up making the trade, the new car was very clean on the interior and exterior. Amazing how both the manual and the smg feel similar. There are many owners that don't like the smg but IMO you can have just as much fun and don't think the smg it is any more or less jerky than a manual transmission. My vert with the smg was the first BMW that I've ever owned. The coupe is obviously stiffer but the hard top on the vert made the chassis a little stiffer than with the soft top up. I'll have the coupe at the madison meet this Saturday.

• 2 months later...