WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

M20 Turbo => M50 turbo fun.

Rowleym

Well post it up!! Also, my mother might be getting me some dyno time for my graduation present ;) contacting some local places to try and get them to tune megasquirt.

Only place I'll recommend in Wisconsin is Late Model Throttle. TJ took me there, and they are legit as fuck. and the price is decent.

That's for a 4 cylinder son. UEL (Unequal length headers) are so chincy man. Go for equal length (or close) which means you're gunna have to add bends and wrap pipes around others. But it'll be worth it in the end, if done properly.

Also, the key to welding onto anything cast, is to heat it up, heat it up really good with a torch, then weld to it.

Well duh I can count cylinders man! But yea. Unequal length. Who cares. I'm more into transient response of a log type manifold. Keep the runners short as possible, and the flow decent. Good enough for me! And yes I've heated up cast for welding before.

word! I know what you're saying. as long as you keep the flow good, you should be golden.

or if you wanted you can just buy an M50 exhaust manifold flange, and weld to that, instead of a cast piece. It'd look 10x better, and would make welding alot less painful.

Posted Image

if you're going with a simple set up like this:

Posted Image

Weld a piece of metal rod from the Exhaust manifold to the turbo manifold, if you don't, over time the heat from the exhaust combined with the weight of the turbo/exhaust pipe pulling against it, will eventually crack it. Might as well save yourself the trouble.

Picture found.

Disregard his honda retardation.(the hole in the manifold) But the support bracket is shown.

Posted Image

This little bracket (I suggest you put in two for safety's sake) will be a life saver. If you don't, that shit can warp, and crack or worse yet, completely warp and droop touch something else in the engine bay, and catch your car on fire. (little extreme, but it can happen)

Edited by Brian