WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

My fan exploded!

StriggityStrack

So yesterday I was working on replacing a bulb in my turn marker when a buddy stopped over. I threw the maker back in and took him for a quick drive. Not even 5 minutes in I heard a loud bang in the engine compartment and plastic went everywhere on the road. When I pulled over coolant was pissing everywhere from a gaping hole in my radiator. Luckily I was a block from home. So at first I thought that I may have left the tool I was using to unclip the side market in the engine bay but later that night I found it in the garage. Wtf! Now that I am researching I heard one or two other stories about this happening to e36 owners.

This happens to a lot of people. It didnt fly up and dent your hood too did it? Mine is frozen solid and Im pulling it off. If you put water wetter in your coolant and change your fan switch in your radiator, you don't need to run a clutch fan anymore.

I just run a pusher fan as well. My block was cleaned out and all my coolant parts were new when I did the engine so that has some to do with better cooling but the pusher fan does just fine to cool my car ... even at the track. 

***Full disclosure, I do not have the AC condenser anymore and that may help as well. 

I deleted my mechanical fan as well. I put in an 80C thermostat, lower temp fan switch, and water wetter. I also put in a new radiator, expansion tank, water pump, rad hoses, and an aluminum thermostat housing while I was in there. I will highly recommend running an electric fan though, the e36 temp gauge is buffered pretty significantly and you wont know you have a problem until you hit about 220F and by that point you might be too late. I have been watching my coolant temps on my ultra-gauge and they rise sharply at stop lights and managed to hit 210F when I had the car idling in the driveway for a while, so if you do the fan delete I would HIGHLY recommend installing an electric fan if you do a lot of stop and go driving.