WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

New member something " a little" different

Guest JustTouge

Guest JustTouge

Hey fellow forum people. I've been trolling this site for a few weeks now seeing that I just bought a 1994 BMW 325is, and I figured it was time to introduce myself.

First off, I’m Jake. I am currently going to school at UWO for marketing and I have been into cars for quite some time now. Something that might be a bit different than your typical new member is that fact that I’m only 3ft 9in tall. No joke. I try not to let that get in the way of my driving hobby though. I have been auto crossing on and off for about 3 years with the Fox Valley sports car club, and Central Wisconsin sports car club. Other than cars I don’t do too much, I dabble in photography occasionally. I just like hanging out with my friends most of the time, I’m a pretty relaxed guy.

Enough about me here is a bit of where my car obsession began.

I started off with Hondas (had 3 of them this was my favorite)

Here is my 1991 Honda CRX HF that had a Japanese GSR motor and LSD transmission.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then I switched car types completely, I didn’t want FWD anymore.

So I bought a very clean low mileage semi-built Galant VR4 (AWD turbocharged, The "EVO Zero" of the U.S, only about 3,000 were imported). I just wasn’t feeling that car at all, way to big for me. A serious sleeper, wolf in sheeps clothing.

Posted Image

So I went back to small cars and picked up a 1996 Mazda Miata that was turbocharged. Super fun car, wish I didn’t sell it. Sleeper status for sure, car rips.

Posted Image

Posted Image

4516278915_cca62440b7_b by Touge Photo, on Flickr

Then I wanted a bit of a project/fun car over the winter so I picked up a 1990 BMW 325is from texas, the factory LSD was fun but the car had way to many issues for me to tackle still being in school so I sold it.

Posted Image

After the E30, I still wanted a fun project through winter so I bought a 1990 Nissan 240sx. Car was a blast to slide around in the snow with, but once the snow was gone the car didn’t have enough power to slide…. So like the others it got sold too.

When I first bought it.

Posted Image

2 by Touge Photo, on Flickr

When I sold it.

Posted Image

24 by Touge Photo, on Flickr

Posted Image

23 by Touge Photo, on Flickr

For the following summer I went back to a car that I knew I loved, another Miata. I had this car up until about a month ago, I was forced to sell it so I could find something a bit better for winter. I had a blast building, and driving this car. I will buy another come spring.

When I bought it.

Posted Image

69 by Touge Photo, on Flickr

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6088/6031948796_1919de54dd_z.jpg

70 by Touge Photo, on Flickr

When I sold it.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6081/6031377719_7c3a537d62_z.jpg

68 by Touge Photo, on Flickr

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6205/6147454387_e53cca46dd_z.jpg

88 by Touge Photo, on Flickr

Now my most recent car, and the reason for me joining this site. For the winter I picked up this 1994 BMW 325is. I was looking for an E30 (another 325is, factory LSD is kickass), but couldn’t find one for around 3k with less than 200,000 miles on it. So I opted to try something new and purchased this E36. Long story short the previous owner of the car in Chicago lied about its condition, when I got there the car was a lot rougher than expected. I still ended up leaving Chicago with the car, but only paid half the asking price( cash in hand does wonders). Bottom line…. It’s a blacked out 325is, with 110,000 miles and it needs a little TLC. I’m not a fan of the “blacked out” look, so that should be its first change, headlights/taillights ect.

Enough rambling here are the pictures I have of it.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6116/6295311822_8bfe1ae78b_z.jpg

7 by Touge Photo, on Flickr

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6100/6295310824_a23c31de2d_z.jpg

2 by Touge Photo, on Flickr

Well thanks for reading the overly long intro, feel free to ask any questions you may have.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JustTouge

Same car, I was going through some foot/leg surgeries at the time. No power steering/driving 5spd with a stiff clutch was killing me. A few surgeries later and now I'm good to go.

Guest JustTouge

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

So far my first impressions of the E36 are....

1. Might be the worst handling car I have owned, Its a big sloppy boat. I was told the shocks are new-ish, but who knows if thats accurate. There not leaking but damn does this thing just lean into everything. I have odd tire wear on my inside front drivers tire, Tie rod ends? Who knows. To be honest I am most likely going to throw some racelands on it and call it a day. Its just going to be a DD so racelands should suffice. Along with the racelands, new tie rod ends and ball joints will be installed also. You guys experience wheel hop? This car has it bad, going to replace the RTAB's and shocks and see if it helps this problem while sliding.

2. The E36 is remarkably faster then my E30 was. Going from my last Miata with about 98whp to this makes it seem like a supercar. I'm very suprised to say the least. I'm so suprised at how it pulls that when I have the time I am going to pull the ECU and see if its chipped. Car sounds killer at 6k with the rigged up exhuast it has.

3. I have to get rid of this cars ricer blacked out theme, I just hate it.

4. Car has a few odd quirks that need attention.

- Gauges have shut off randomly on me now on two occasions, they come back on right away its very odd. Bad ground?

- Car sounds supercharged at times, coming from the alternator/belt. Needs replacing.

- The interior needs a complete overhaul, the door panels are riveted on,headliner has staples in it, there is glue on the doors, power windows don't work....WTF this car is haggard inside.

- Lastly the big concern of mine, the car smells like coolant to me at times. I'm worried its the headgasket. Car never overheats, or actually looses any coolant from the overflow. But at times I can smell a faint sweet smell. I hope its nothing major. I can't see any leaks, or see any lost coolant from the overflow.

Guest JustTouge

Agree'd the badges must go. Hope they don't take any paint with them when I pry them off.

The CRX and my red miata have been my two favorite cars hands down. I was very sad to see both of them go, and looking back on things I probably never would/should have sold them.

The CRX is now rusted out, half spray painted. The guy who bought it from my removed all the nice parts I had installed and replaced them with ebay parts. He took my 1000$ Tanabe exhuast and chopped it up, and straight piped it. I saw the car for sale about a year after I sold it, and I died a little inside.

Here is a video that I made a long time ago. In the video the cars butterflys on the intake mani were not hooked up. I later replaced the intake manifold with a Skunk 2 type r replica and the car really woke up. Wish I had a video of that...

http://youtu.be/62itqudz6WE

I would get Rokkor coilovers instead of Racelands. They are a stiffer spring rate and the quality is a tad nicer.

Many of the Bimmer forums have threads devoted to the debate. However, Rokkor and Raceland are sister

companies and cost about the same. I have Rokkors on my Ti and it rides very well considering its slammed in

the rear with 40 threads left up front, but only about 2"-3" ground clearance.

Also, e36's like to shed the interior and tend to have a nice sag to the headliner and panels that just start to fall

off=P My headliner needs to be fixed but otherwise I got lucky for now with my panels being in nice and tight still.

And check the heater core for leaks. That might result in the sweet smell you're getting. Is it stronger when you

have your vents or heat on?

And welcome=)

Guest JustTouge

Thanks for the advice on the Rokkors, I will check them out.

I'm tempted to temporarily gut the cars interior becuase its so bad right now. I need to score some door panels.

The heater core replacement does not look fun.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

So far my first impressions of the E36 are....

1. Might be the worst handling car I have owned, Its a big sloppy boat. I was told the shocks are new-ish, but who knows if thats accurate. There not leaking but damn does this thing just lean into everything. I have odd tire wear on my inside front drivers tire, Tie rod ends? Who knows. To be honest I am most likely going to throw some racelands on it and call it a day. Its just going to be a DD so racelands should suffice. Along with the racelands, new tie rod ends and ball joints will be installed also. You guys experience wheel hop? This car has it bad, going to replace the RTAB's and shocks and see if it helps this problem while sliding.

2. The E36 is remarkably faster then my E30 was. Going from my last Miata with about 98whp to this makes it seem like a supercar. I'm very suprised to say the least. I'm so suprised at how it pulls that when I have the time I am going to pull the ECU and see if its chipped. Car sounds killer at 6k with the rigged up exhuast it has.

3. I have to get rid of this cars ricer blacked out theme, I just hate it.

4. Car has a few odd quirks that need attention.

- Gauges have shut off randomly on me now on two occasions, they come back on right away its very odd. Bad ground?

- Car sounds supercharged at times, coming from the alternator/belt. Needs replacing.

- The interior needs a complete overhaul, the door panels are riveted on,headliner has staples in it, there is glue on the doors, power windows don't work....WTF this car is haggard inside.

- Lastly the big concern of mine, the car smells like coolant to me at times. I'm worried its the headgasket. Car never overheats, or actually looses any coolant from the overflow. But at times I can smell a faint sweet smell. I hope its nothing major. I can't see any leaks, or see any lost coolant from the overflow.

You probably need new suspension bushings. E36 bushings arent known for lasting a long time (set aside 500 bucks for FCABs, control arms, end links, diff carrier bushings, RSMs, RCABs, diff bushings, etc.)

M50>M20

You need new headlights and some Euro clear corners

Most likely bad connections on the back of the cluster, pull and check (two screws at the top and some wiggling to get it out)

Supercharger noise is the belt tensioner bearing going. 30 bucks from pelican parts

I have window motors and switches if you need em. E36 interiors arent known for interior greatness either

Hows your heat? Im guessing you just have green coolant and not BMW Blue? Obvious could be heater core, but could also be leaking pipes. Trust me, this one isnt fun.

Im the resident E36 guru. Where are you located? I'm in waukesha, just west of Milwaukee. If you're near, lemme know

You probably need new suspension bushings. E36 bushings arent known for lasting a long time (set aside 500 bucks for FCABs, control arms, end links, diff carrier bushings, RSMs, RCABs, diff bushings, etc.)

M50>M20

Most likely bad connections on the back of the cluster, pull and check (two screws at the top and some wiggling to get it out)

Supercharger noise is the belt tensioner bearing going. 30 bucks from pelican parts

I have window motors and switches if you need em. E36 interiors arent known for interior greatness either

Hows your heat? Im guessing you just have green coolant and not BMW Blue? Obvious could be heater core, but could also be leaking pipes. Trust me, this one isnt fun.

Im the resident E36 guru. Where are you located? I'm in waukesha, just west of Milwaukee. If you're near, lemme know

IMHO clears just look out of place on a clean black car. I'd get aftermarket ambers due to them being a darker shade of orange=) But do whatever you'd like.

If you get new headlights, I recommend DJ Auto's. They're available at ddmtuning.com for a very tiny price for what you get=P I love mine and have had

absolutely zero problems. Glass quality is good, plastic is nice and rigid, aiming the lights is quick and easy. Only problem I had was that I had to remove

the horn for my alarm because the new headlights were deeper due to the HID projector housing.

Guest JustTouge

M50>M20

Awesome information, thanks. I figured that the wheel hop, and overall suspension sloppyness might be due to bad bushings throughout the whole car.

I like the idea of headlights with clear corners. I have looked into the DJ auto lights on DDM, I will order a set eventually. Tailights also need to go, not 100% sure what I am going to replace them with yet. Altezza's yo! ( I keeeed I keeed).

How much you want for the window motors/switches?

Heat works great, I'm worried the blower motor is going though. Heat only works on low and high, I believe there is some sort of relay I can replace near my gas pedal to fix this, but if I read correctly online, it will most likely break again becuase my blower motor is going. I can't think of whats that called right now...

Coolant is Green.... Should I flush that out?

I'm in Oshkosh WI, but I am in Milwaukee visiting friends from time to time.

Tony. Go die.

+1 to the DDM DJ auto lights. I rock those too and love em (although if I remember correctly DDM is trying to stop selling bmw stuffs, so you might wanna get em while they last. Also, DDM has the worst customer service in the world)

Clear corners vs amber is a personal taste thing, I'm gonna get clears because of my frenched fogs, and I'm bored of the blacked out look.

Make sure that your cooling system is in good shape. As in, if you dont know when its been replaced, make that in the top 3 of to do. One overheat kills M5x engines. ECStuning.com has an overhaul kit for 220 bucks which has everything except the radiator and an extra gallon of coolant. I got my kit from them and so far, so good!

What color is the bottom of your switch? I have green bottom switches, so you'd need those in order for the switches to work (BMW used like 4 different window switches in E36s). I'll get it all together and quote you a price

I see you're OBD1, so you dont have a FSU (unless swapped the digital climate control panel into your car). I'd check out the heater control valves as well, those are under the intake mani, kind of a PITA to get but not too expensive/hard.

If you wanted to go back to blue, I'd wait till you have the new cooling system parts. I did that, and have been running blue ever since. The whole debate is green coolant conducts electricity and causes hydroelectric charges to go through the cooling ports in the engine, which wears on aluminum parts. Some people say only BMW blue (G-05 formula I think) will work, others think its a ploy for more money, and some dont care. Its your call. Personally, I'd go with BMW blue though

Let me know if you're ever around. Im always up for a photoshoot or wrench day

Guest JustTouge

Again, thanks for the awesome info.

I'll look into ordering headlights soon, but I think the cooling system is a bit more important.

Not sure on what color switch I have, I can look later, its pouring out right now.

The car developed a issue over the past few days, but today it seems worse. The car clunks up front while hitting certain bumps it seems. At first I thought it was ball joints or bushings, it wasn't that big of an issue. The clunk was quiet. Today though it seems worse, clunks alot while turning right, but much less clunking while turning left if any. Its a pretty loud clunk now, I'm concerned. It seems to be coming from the middle of the car to me, could my guibo bolts have came loose? I wish I had a nice warm lighted stocked with tools garage to use.