WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

New member something " a little" different

Guest JustTouge

Again, thanks for the awesome info.

I'll look into ordering headlights soon, but I think the cooling system is a bit more important.

Not sure on what color switch I have, I can look later, its pouring out right now.

The car developed a issue over the past few days, but today it seems worse. The car clunks up front while hitting certain bumps it seems. At first I thought it was ball joints or bushings, it wasn't that big of an issue. The clunk was quiet. Today though it seems worse, clunks alot while turning right, but much less clunking while turning left if any. Its a pretty loud clunk now, I'm concerned. It seems to be coming from the middle of the car to me, could my guibo bolts have came loose? I wish I had a nice warm lighted stocked with tools garage to use.

Jack car up and feel the suspension parts (you know, check for play and such). It sounds like the nut on the top of your strut has come loose, allowing the whole strut to move up and down inside the mounting plate on the top of the housing. Pop the covers off and see. This has happened to me numerous times and drives me bonkers

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JustTouge

Are you talking about the 3 bolts on the top, in the engine bay? Mine seem nice and tight...

Spent 4 hours washing, waxing, and cleaning it. Helped alot, but some areas still look like they were buffed with a steel wool pad. Here are some pictures.....

Posted Image

11 by Touge Photo, on Flickr

Posted Image

10 by Touge Photo, on Flickr

Posted Image

9 by Touge Photo, on Flickr

Also ordered a set of Rokkors today, Hoping to diagnose the odd clunk while I install them later this week. Also might have a line on some 7 series wheels too.

Guest JustTouge

Your car is slammed. Damn. Looks good.

Why do certain cars have front plate mounts like molded into the bumper, but some like yours don't have the spot for the front plate. Looks much better.

You can buy plate deletes=P I actually took my OEM molded plate strip and cut it down to be the same width as the rest of the trim. I lightly sanded it and then dyed it with trim black and have my own ghetto plate delete;)

And it is faily low=P The bottom of the front fender is about a keys length off the ground. The frame railgs are faily close and I cannot go over even the slightest speedbumps=)

My wheels are sunk so bad that it embarrases me=( I need to figure out what wheels I want to run and I have to get my other sets of wheels sold to be able to buy more wheels=) lol

Guest JustTouge

You can buy plate deletes=P I actually took my OEM molded plate strip and cut it down to be the same width as the rest of the trim. I lightly sanded it and then dyed it with trim black and have my own ghetto plate delete;)

Thanks for the tip, I will do this tomorrow if I find the time. I had thought that peice was molded into the bumper until now.

A set of style 5's would look tits magee on your car.

I hope that those wheels from hondamarketplace look decent oon my car after I lower it.

Those wheels will look perty good on your car=P And I just noticed this, but did the PO put one piece headlights on your car? I absolutely hate those=P lol

And a set of style 5's or BBS RS would look wonderful on my car, but sadly they're too played out and I like being original=) lol

Edited by Earl

Guest JustTouge

Those wheels will look perty good on your car=P And I just noticed this, but did the PO put one piece headlights on your car? I absolutely hate those=P lol

And a set of style 5's or BBS RS would look wonderful on my car, but sadly they're too played out and I like being original=) lol

Hope they look okay, I have been trying to find a similar set online so I know how much they are worth. I am trading the guy my kosei's that I listed for 400$ (which is pretty cheap for the wheels). I just want to make sure I am getting a good deal.

Yes I have these fancy one piece headlights on my car, they NEED to go. Look like balls, and one side doesn't have working Halo's. Next paycheck I will order new headlights and taillights(not sure what tails I want though).

I agree with the being unique statement, I try to add a little personal flare to my cars. I really want to pick these wheels up, but its a bit of a drive for me and I don't exactly have the funds for them. I should put that money into some suspension maitenace. I think you will like these.... Something cheap and different.

http://lacrosse.craigslist.org/pts/2633157115.html

Guest JustTouge

Do it! Buy them for winter and sell them to me come spring! I talked to the guy, he needs them gone he is moving soon.

Also, was that just bumper trim spray paint you used to spay the lower section of your front bumper? Looks great.

Yeah I used the sponge applicator type trim black and did =P lol It actually looks good up close too if you take your time and tape off all surrounding paint. I have a different bumper that I have to finish prepping and painting to put on=) A non m bumper, but a different style. And idk how I would pick them up...lol I don't wanna drive all the way out there=)

Guest JustTouge

Do you have camber plates for your car? Hows your alignment?

Hopefully the coils will come today. I plan on driving to get those wheels this weekend as well, things are looking good.

On a side note, I drove my car in the slush/snow the other day to see how the E36 would handle it. The car had a suprisingly decent amount of traction. Under full throttle it would slide most of the time, however.... This car really really tends to understeer at times. It sucks, my handbrake doesn't work well enough to compensate for it. I am worried that this winter I am going to be hitting everything from just going straight through corners. I hope the new suspension, and a alignment will fix this.

Guest JustTouge

My 330 was exactly the opposite. I am surprised that you're understeering. What do you have for tires??

BF goodrich Touring T/A's Decent-ish tread on all of them, however I noticed that the fronts have some abnormal wear on the insides.... This car needs an alignment. I will get one as soon as the coils are on.

I had mentioned last week that the car has developed a mystery clunk. Its getting louder I think, its now developed into a serious issue. Anytime I turn my wheel right while moving it makes a clunking/ knocking noise. The noise increases with speed. It reminds me of when I axle boot rips on a FWD car kinda. To me it sounds like its coming from the passenger side, or maybe the middle of the car... I am 99% its up front. I can feel it when it happens. It happens when slightly turning, all the way to full lock to the right. Anyone have any insight?

Also look what came about 10 mins ago.

Posted Image

12 by Touge Photo, on Flickr

Edited by JustTouge
add pic

Guest JustTouge

Sounds to me that you got something loose and hitting the wheel or rotor. Something rotating at the very least.

Agree'd. Looking underneath the car I noticed that the inside of the drivers side wheel has some rubb marks on it, its on the tire, not the wheel. I don't think this is related to the clunking issue...but it could be.

I noticed if you dont turn the car aggresivly the noise is much quieter, and that if the road is bumpy the noise is much worse. I'm confused. I hope its not steering rack related.

Guest Celina325is

Those look pretty nice=P And mine isn't anything special at the moment but here is a recent shot=)

Posted Image

Did you still need that front fender molding piece? I think Blaine has one on his parts car that is in good shape.

^I need both but I'm getting M-Trim so I didn't bother=P lol

And did you pick up the sawblades Jake? I don't have camber plates and the camber on the rear of my car is MADD TITE YO! lol I'll need this amount of camber to fit the wheel options that I'm looking at, but I don't think winter will be friendly with it. If you javen't installed the Rokkors yet, remove the helper springs and for the rears, take the screw adjuster off the base completely aswell as take out the spring pads. This will let the rear sit as low as possible, which is still a little higher than I want.

Guest JustTouge

And did you pick up the sawblades Jake? I don't have camber plates and the camber on the rear of my car is MADD TITE YO! lol I'll need this amount of camber to fit the wheel options that I'm looking at, but I don't think winter will be friendly with it. If you javen't installed the Rokkors yet, remove the helper springs and for the rears, take the screw adjuster off the base completely aswell as take out the spring pads. This will let the rear sit as low as possible, which is still a little higher than I want.

I didn't install the Rokkors yet. Hopefully this weekend. I did not pick up the Vette wheels either. I'm such a slacker. I want to hit up gibsons in neenah on wednesday to see if I can score some parts to begin my interior overhaul.

They only had two e36's last time I was there. Both 328's. The interiors didn't look to be in too good of condition. There is a beautiful e24 there that me and Justin want to pick up. It is clean as hell, still has plastic on the seats, and is only missing the badges, and the steering wheel is in the black e36....I wanted to test fit the wheel but the splines were different.

Guest JustTouge

I just need some door panels, and a headliner to re-cover. Maybe some headlights too.

Are you located near appleton? Once I lower my car we should get some people together for a photoshoot.