WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Your experiences with fine handling BMWs

B C

BMW understands chassis and driving dynamics like no other car company. Data and statistics cannot communicate the BMW experience properly. What BMWs have you driven/ridden in that had amazing/memorable handling? A modded (tires, springs , dampers) e36 328i was the first BMW that completely astonished me in the cornering grip department. The E36 chassis is amazing

ddcea8d9d0a8ba411b1e85a932b0b4e7.jpg

Riding in the instructors modified 2002 with R-compounds and exceptional driving skills was the most go-karty experience ever. Braking for corners seemed optional.

02d3ac185069883f146c277da25610b9.jpg

The flat handling of a stock 335i sport package leaves me dumbfounded at how a car can ride so smooth/quiet and still generate so much cornering grip. Its a very confidence-instilling chassis. Even on runflats. I also love the heavily weighted steering feel.

0624dc1c84faf4c4040803492692c0b2.jpg

My own e30 doesnt grip as well as it should as It has never had a set of proper tires but what I enjoy most is how its communication and predictability really make you feel like an extension of the vehicle. How you imagine the car will behave with a given set of inputs is what you get in reality.

b3d7c17cfe37353216c80a8b3da1c5a4.jpg

I love the way my e36 handles with eibach shock/spring setup and 16" contours. The eibachs are an excellent balance of performance and dd-ability. Drove to Oklahoma and back in 2 days and could have gotten back in and done it again. Can't wait to get some aggressive tires to improve the grip.

On the other hand I was dissapointed with how my e30 vert handled. I stand by my preference of an e36 over an e30.

Sent from my potato phone

Being that I've driven every model since '90 except a e34 M5 and Z3 M coupe I have to say these cars all handle great but each is unique in its delivery. Each chassis has its strengths and weakness's which is how I think we choose which one we like the most. I suggest everyone drive a 7 series at some point just to see how a limo can handle haha.

I think the Z3 3.0 or M were my favorites. Low to the ground, tight rack, short shifts and good power/weight.

This is what sold me on BMW. 
An old boss of mine was into M cars and tracking, he introduced me to his e30 m3 and e36 m3. I think CYoung has it right in that they all handle great, but it's the delivery that differs. E30 felt like a go-kart to me, the e36 was just a bit more solid. I drove Dastuz's e46 m3 when it was stock and it was incredibly balanced - once the suspension work was done, the car had 0 roll and was totally predictable. Crazy.

That predictable driving experience is really what does it for me. Even on my 135 which is much softer than an M3, the car is incredibly predictable. Admittedly it was less predictable at the limit before I put the LSD in, but for spirited driving on twisties, even without the LSD it was predictable. I was amazed at how well it was able to cut up Blackhawk on stock suspension, given how technical of a course Blackhawk is. 

I will say this - 135 is the latest model I will have for the foreseeable future. While I still believe BMW makes new cars in the M department that handle well, I still don't get the raw connectedness to the road that the older cars give. I am afraid of the age of electric steering and dynamic dampening and computer controlled shit like that. Cool tech but on the track I don't want that. I mean, what's the point of going to the track if the car does everything for you? To me, my 135 is the last hurrah of some semblance of BMW's driving history.

I definitely see myself picking up an e30 at some point. 

Anyone ever drive a 3/4-1 ton Chevrolet/GMC compared to a Ford/Dodge.

The difference is huge.

The IFS of the GM trucks handles a lot better and the ride is a lot smoother. After driving a 2003 2500hd Duramax and a 2014 3500 Dually Duramax. When I compared the ride quality to that of a Dodge Cummins 2500 and a Ford F250 7.3. The difference was pretty big.

(I love messing with you guys)

My brothers Yamaha FJ1200 doesn't even compare when it comes to handling to my Ninja 300.

I have driven an E34 sedan and wagon, and an E39. Now the ride on all of them was smoother than my E21 and all of those cars are obviously faster. But when it comes to corners. It's a no contest.