WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E30 suspension question

michael1972

Question

I will be looking to buy a e30 around feburary and I have a question about coilovers. Do the Raceland coilovers have rear ride height adjustment? I was also looking at the JOM Bluline coilover kit on ECS tuning. Same question on those. Or any suggestions for a set that is adjustable in the rear and are in the 500 dollar range. I am asking because I have read some reviews and the people talk like there is no adjustment just a lower spring and a shock. I want to be able to adjust height front and back. Also I don't want to spend a fortune on modding a e30 as my e92 gets most of the love. Thanks for any help.

You would get shorter springs. Also, Raceland and JOM coilovers don't lower the front much at all, even when maxxed out. 

Earl, you are on crack. 

It depends on if you have an early model or late, wheel/tire size as well. Also remember that you DO have an oil pan.

Friend has JOM's on his early 318 (rides like total ass) and it is low enough that the oil pan went kaboom on the highway over a small bump. It's plenty low, and has room to go down further. On 16's as well.

Earl, you are on crack.

It depends on if you have an early model or late, wheel/tire size as well. Also remember that you DO have an oil pan.

Friend has JOM's on his early 318 (rides like total ass) and it is low enough that the oil pan went kaboom on the highway over a small bump. It's plenty low, and has room to go down further. On 16's as well.

So JOM's have a shitty ride? I called Raceland on my lunch hour and the rep said they'er regular kit has a 1-3" drop and they have a ultimate kit that has a 1-4" drop. I'm thinking I'm gonna try the ultimate kit. As far as wheel size I am thinking 17's. But maybe 16's so I can go a little lower and save a little cash. What do you guys think about 17's on a e30? Obviously this will be my first e30 expierence so I have no idea. i do know all about wheel specs and so fourth from my other 3 bimmers I have owned. Just not sure what will look the best on a e30. Definetly want em flush or even tucked a bit.

"Low" is subjective BTW. What size rim/tire combo are you running?

When I was looking at coils, they all needed to be welded to front hub assemblies (except 1-2), so you can manipulate the front suspension height some based on where you weld to the hub (the lower you set the coil sleeve over the existing hub assembly - the lower the front will sit).

For reference - you cut the original shock off and your new coil "slides over" the old shock body. Slide it down till it hits the hub and weld = LOW (like I did below), leave 2"-3" higher will leave your suspension 2"-3" higher (ride height is kinda tricky, because it's a combination of where you weld the coil - how tall the coil body is - and where you have the collars adjusted).

Rear height is all determined by the spring height and collar height. On my car - collars are completely removed and have a smaller 1/2" spacer to add some height.

87D086DA-6F67-43A2-A79F-26A79E7CB530.jpg

My car on CATuned coils welded in the "low" position with 16"x9" on 205/40. I could set the car on the ground in front, and can go another 1/2"-3/4" lower in back if just had spring installed:

6B101B23-7E43-4089-9D1B-D46A4706456A.jpg

I am not trying to do all of that. I just want to install a set of coilovers. I have watched a few raceland e30 install videos and they simply slide the old shock out of the front tube assembly and put in the Raceland shock and the adjustable collar and then reassemble the strut. And they look to go plenty low. I will probably run some sort of staggered wheel setup if its possible. I like haveing wider wheels/tires in the rear. Not 100% on if I want 16's or 17's. I have been looking at the ESM 002r wheels.