WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Any turbo E36's?

shaneomac1602

I am working on a game plan for my turbo build on my 93 325i. I was wondering who here, if anyone, has a turbo e36? If you do, please post what your setup is and location. Trying to see who is close to me, so I might be able to take a look at a couple cars in person so I can get a better idea of how everyone is running intercooler piping and such, so I can decide which route I want to take.

My e36 is currently my daily since my real daily, 2004 subaru forester xt, is in the garage getting the motor pulled for a head gasket. So it'll be a while before I can get enough time to pull my e36 apart and decide where I want everything to go.

Basic plan as of now:

-Top mounted turbo manifold, probably obx I'm thinking

-Im thinking either a gt35 or hx35, possibly gt 40 or hx40. Top choice for a turbo is a precision 6262. Can't quite decide, as initial cost comes into play. Want low boost of 6-8 psi to make about 300-350hp, and higher boost setting of about 16-20psi to make between 450-500hp.

-Stock motor with 209k miles.

-plan to run low boost until head gasket or motor blows, then higher boost after a rebuild.

-I'm thinking 42lb injectors should work for that hp range. If not, I'll just get some 60lb ones.

-Making my own soft ac lines.

-Most likely getting a Miller War chip for tuning, but could be swayed a different direction for something better, but not crazy expensive

-going to leave the stock catback exhaust on. Just going to make my own downpipe that has an electric cutout so I can run open downpipe, or shut it and keep it quiet with the stock exhaust.

Basic goal for the car is to be a 100% streetable car that in the end makes 450-500hp. Will need to retain the ac as my wife will sell the car while I'm sleeping if I removed it. In the end there will be some, but not a lot, of drag racing and drifting. This is just going to be a fun summer street car. Part of me wants to leave the exterior alone so I can make it a sleeper. I love electric cutouts in an exhaust. My wife likes quiet cars and I like loud ones. So for $200 and some of my time welding, I can have both options.

Thoughts? Useful suggestions? See something I'm planning and know of something that could be a better option? Feel free to chime in or post pictures of your setups.

I am tempted to get squirty when i put my e36 back together, I have built the engine and done all the mechanicals/reinforcements etc, and will probably do a low boost setup at some point so I might do megasquirt over the winter and make the turbo install quicker in a couple years.  (My wife will love this plan ;) )

Its a bit like bodywork, if you take the time to learn how to do it and get things setup properly you will have incredible results. It is not hard at all. You are welcome to come check mine out and see how it works any time

I think the exhaust cutout is a great idea. I wanted to do one on mine if it was too sterile sounding but luckily its a nice balance

I am tempted to get squirty when i put my e36 back together, I have built the engine and done all the mechanicals/reinforcements etc, and will probably do a low boost setup at some point so I might do megasquirt over the winter and make the turbo install quicker in a couple years. (My wife will love this plan ;) )

I was glad that i ran megasquirt NA and learned to tune it before throwing a snail at it.

Do you guys think I should track down a set of s50/S52 cams for it as well right away? I was thinking the turbo would be plenty of power up front, so I shouldn't need to worry about them. Plus that would save me another $400 I could put towards my turbo budget. I figured once I had to rebuild or install a new head gasket, I would install new cams at that point.

I put a turbo kit on my e36 this winter. Using an obx top mount manifold, Tial 44mm, and an hx40. With the obx manifold, and a t4 exhaust housing, You will be able to clear the stock hood. 1010483_10202649682275972_326306265_n.jp

Just use megasquirt from the start. If I were you, That would be the first thing I would do. Learn how to tune( ITS EXTREMELY EASY WITH MEGASQUIRT) and then tackle the turbo hardware install. Thats the easy part. Anyone can install a turbo kit... its very easy. 

I would suggest an intercooler with around a 3" thick core and 18" wide core. 

By the way I have that OBX manifold if you would like to buy it. Also have a cast bottom mount in a t3 footprint. 

I have an h1c(hx35 compressor wheel with an 18cm t3 divided) if you want it as well?

You can buy the tial from me as well haha. 

I recently bought my first shop(house included) so my personal projects are pushed to the side for a while. 

And really don't waste your time with cams. A much better upgrade for the money would be putting that money into your fuel system. If their is anyway to run e85, DO IT. Its like gods fuel with these motors. 10.5:1 and you can run 25lbs of boost(on stock bottom end) no problem with the proper head sealing. 

Meth works wonders too. But really your first limitation is detonation with pump gas. which happens pretty quick. I wouldn't boost with pump gas only on that high of compression to be honest. 

Well I don't think i could put my intercooler right between the radiator and engine. Too tight of a fit. I haven't really given much thought to a t3 vs t4 manifold. Suggestions?

I think I'll pass on the h1c, I'm thinking it'll spool too slow for what I'm looking for. I just might be interested in the manifold and wastegate, pm me asking prices. One i finish my sti swap on my forester xt, then I'll start getting parts for the 325i.

Once my head gasket goes I was planning a .140 mls to lower the compression ratio a little.

I may look into getting megasquirt first, installing it, and seeing what I can do with my stock motor first. I'll have to do some reading on the install and how to make adjustments

Personally I would go t3, but I would also never buy a garret or precision or whatever, but a gt35 and this obx with a .8-1 ar t4 open would be dandy.

T4 holsluts are big.

And yea that's a 4" core and I was doing remote mount radiator... Nothing fit up front.

I was just suggesting a nice size core that fits with e36

Yea I was leaning towards a t3 manifold. Most likely going with an hx35 or an eBay gt35 until I get the extra funds together for the real deal.

I have been reading on E85 on a FI application on our motors and do see positive things. How much mileage decrease do you expect while being tuned on E85? I love my 29mpg hwy. Haha.

I'm thinking a t3 obx top mount manifold, hx35, 6-8psi, with 42lb injectors, to start and get it running good. Aim for 325-350hp. Then when I have to replace the head gasket or rebuild the motor, I'll switch to an E85 setup to run higher boost safer. Also adding an enormous amount of power. If I'm not mistaken, a stock 10.5:1 motor with an hx35, about 15psi boost, 1000cc injectors, walboro 255, and E85 should get me in the 450-500hp range. Am I correct in that estimation?

Also for anyone running E85, what kind of O rings, hoses, and seals do you guys run?

I'm not sure that I trust the safety wire fix, it would still allow the nut to loosen slightly until the wire restrained it and cause a fatigue failure of the shaft like the DR had.  I tack welded mine when I rebuilt the engine 5 years ago. 

I could be wrong but I think the drilled nut is not correct for this application.

I'll look into safety wiring the nut.

I'll pass on the h1c. From what ive read it has a very slow/late spool. Hx35 is supposed to be much faster

Its the exhaust housing chachi. Same shit. I would get a bep .70 or something, and pick up a cheap hx35/hy35/hx40/h1c to put it with, and do a 50$ rebuild(not on mine)