WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Turbo missing under load

Jeff

Question

So I have a bunch if missing under load on the e36. Found out I didn't hook my wastegate up correctly had the line on the wrong port. Fixed that now have about 10-12psi sweet right well no!

It misses from 3200-5000 my afr goes to 9:1-9:5 5000 it stops missing and shoots to 12:1-13:1 not good plenty of power after it stops missing. What causes the missing? Fixes? Suggestion?

Miller's package its just overall Crap for what you get. If you have a competent tuner, you don't need the WAR chip they provide anyways(saving 400$ or so) and the MAF they use is expensive for what You get, as you can buy an HPX maf for 200$ which is what most tuners use anyways(Its just a modified ford slot style 05+ maf). 

And in the end it isn't even live tuning or anything! no datalogging, and just as many features you can edit for free. I even have working launch control(user defined) on the stock ecu. 

Custom tunes on the stock ecu are the way to go for the lazy guy. There is a local guy that owns a dyno and he can custom tune your obd1 or obd2 ecu, and if you are competent, I will send you all the files you need to tune it on your own(MUCH DIFFERENT THAN MANY PLATFORMS SO DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK) 

I already have all of the files you need to tune your own car, lol. I have dataloggers, an ostrich, a bundle of chips, the XDFs and BIN files, tuner pro.. etc. Miller is still preferable. Even if you can tune in real time with tunerpro, the stock ECU is so finnicky that it hardly ever adapts the way you want it to when you are livetuning. The way miller works is fine because if you ever take your car to a tuner they will just do one pull after another. Turn the car off usually, or make you sit there parked, then you go do another few pulls, stop and repeat. All of this can be done with Miller's software, which makes it not nearly as handicapped as you are desperately trying to make it seem.

Not to mention you get a base tune that works great with 99% of all cars, a less daunting and less complicated user interface, and miller's support (including free map revisions). 

You do understand that the miller doesn't actually change the ECU logic at all right? 

And for you, You could have saved the 1400$ or whatever, spend 200 on a maf, 300 or so on injectors, and I GUARANTEE that dude charges much less than 1000$ for a tune ha. 

Don't you love MAF based setups? Basetunes can go a LONG way. 

For the miller people, it just sounds like they want a PNP setup anyways, so why fuck with it? Just get a real tune from someone, and don't pay out the ass for it either. 

Which means the interface is a moot point, and TunerproRT interface is better for the tuner anyways because chances are, they know how to use it. 

think you are genuinely confused at how the miller tune works or why someone would want it 

It quite literally takes the values you put into the software and converts it, using some proprietary and arbitrary equation, to the values that any old chip burning software would write. It's really no different at all from tuning in Tuner pro. The difference is that the fields you are allowed to change with Miller's software are specific and necessary, versus having a bunch of tables and fields that mean nothing to you when tuning for boost which is what happens when you use Tuner Pro. The whole appeal is having a PnP setup with some ability to change stuff on your own. The important statement here is on your own. 

Can the average joe buy all of the stuff needed to burn their own chips, trust the XDF and bins are accurate, and tune using Tuner pro? Yes.. absolutely they can. If you think the DIY approach will end up cheaper if you do it like that, you are sorely mistaken / haven't done it before. I have all of the equipment needed to properly tune the car with nothing more than the stock bin. The equipment alone will run you damn near $600-$1200(depending on dataloggers and whatever else you want). Then, if you have never tuned before, you can spend possibly 100+ hours tinkering with shit until you have a basic risky tune with no weight behind it and no idea if it will actually play out properly when you are boosting around. 

Alternatively, you can buy a used Miller package on the forums for <$600 (what I did), plug it in and be able to go boost your turbo car immediately that day, and make any necessary adjustments on your own without having to schedule a dyno day for a remote tuning session with a $200+/hr tuner. 

Or yeah you can run megasquirt if you want. At the end of the day, I don't care because every miller car I've been in runs titties, including my own. 

I did not say stock Ecu tuning was for the average diy type. Not at all. Only for someone who wants to be truly invested(me) but yes it does not cost 600$

200$ for ostrich(only necessary if you are developing XDF)

Otherwise you can use chip burner for like 30$ or borrow one from your Honda buddy.

Plus a datalogger that you're gonna buy anyways if you have miller tuning too haha.

But hot damn you bought the ENTIRE miller kit for 600$???? Injectors war chip and MAF? That's a great price

Let me finish before you reply BruH and I think you are taking it a bit too serious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And like I said man you don't need a remote dyno tuner when there is a guy is rreedsville that owns his own dyno, and tunes on the side. Lots of people will vouch for him.

I completely understand what the miller kit is about and I researched it extensively(as I did probably every single other tuning option on this platform)

Miller is crap end of story I don't care where the software is made the guy that made it is a dumb ass I'm sorry. And argument with engineers and machinists is fun but in the end miller is not user friendly or tuner friendly. Miller pushes to sell there tune for one set up. Ther injectors there maf. It you strive to be the same then be the same if you want to live a little then go with mega squirt.

I will be changing to mega squirt in the future and use the miller chip in the 740il untill windows co no longer exists.

You are woefully misinformed/willingly ignorant. It's clear you have a HEAVY bias and haven't bothered to actually call them / do any research,

They run generic siemens injectors, will give you a tune for any size injector you want if you work with them. Their maf is proprietary but thats because it works with the stock harness / no modification needed. You aren't "living a little" by going megasquirt, lol. You are just golng to plug in the tried and true tunes done by other people smarter than you. Be my guest, just don't spread misinformation because you are having a hissy fit and things aren't going your way. 

There are literally thousands of cars out there running miller tunes, flashed onto a miller chip using miller software with 0 issues. If you want to have more control over your system, great, miller isn't for you. That's kind of the point of their package. 

Regardless of actual tuning capabilities I know that Miller took a huge hit in popularity when they removed the section of the website that allowed people to share tunes.
I have used Ostrich/stock DME stuff, with a proper XDF and from my 1hr learning experience on it I would say that it is also confusing and using non logical numbers.
I'll stick with my MS for now ;)

Regardless of actual tuning capabilities I know that Miller took a huge hit in popularity when they removed the section of the website that allowed people to share tunes.

I have used Ostrich/stock DME stuff, with a proper XDF and from my 1hr learning experience on it I would say that it is also confusing and using non logical numbers.

I'll stick with my MS for now ;)

Totally logical numbers! I'll post screen shots. I have a very complete XDF. But for the normal guy I don't think it's worth it yet. And MAF based tuning is different for sure.

There used to be a thing called the War Room. It was from a couple years ago, not sure if it's back up now, or if they reformatted. I know it was down for about a year and a lot of people were unhappy because of it.

The War room was not taken down, the software their old web developer used had become a security issue and for payment processing reasons they had to take it down. The forum was a resurrection of that. 

i have used the miller software for 5 years now and yes my car runs yes it is tuned but the problem is not in my car or its tune. the problem is the high school drop out that made the software and chip with horrible tables and imaginary values that mean nothing. ignorance has nothing to do with the software issues. ignorance is the definition of miller performance and there associates.

also calling miller performance is of no help seeing as they only help if your spending $$$$$ for there garbage.

if you like the war chip and its crappy software then use it.

if you like to keep your car the same and never strive to better something the war chip is for you bud.

i like the guys at miller as much as president obama  and his crap ass obamacare no changing my mine.

Haha man.. well, I'll take solace in knowing that the person that disagrees with me has the English abilities of a fourth grader in China, it makes me feel better about thinking the way I do. 

If you can't prepare a rational argument that isn't rooted deeply in ignorance, then I guess there is no point in arguing, is there?

So let's just agree to disagree.