WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Cosmos Resurrection

mkoepp

True, I would not remove power steering, but brakes may end up with better control/feel manual if set up properly, the kit already changes the pedal ratio from 4:1 to 6:1 to decrease effort, and you can choose between several master cylinders that will bolt right on to get the desired diameter.  Mikes e28 has awesome pedal feel, not sure if the difference is because of no ABS?  It feels very firm, like I imagined it would be with SS flex lines (That's the best I can describe it).  But on my e36 I want it to feel like that, I am removing the ABS (didn't work anyway and I don't drive it in the winter) and doing SS flex lines.  Then again mine may take longer than Earl to finish...

Nuff said...

Mike I have a extra g260 trans with early style shift carrier and a full shifter rebuild with all oem parts that will be available soon if your interested. All you would need is the pedal setup, clutch master/slave setup and a clutch/flywheel.

I may have to take you up on this if funds are available at the time. The pedal, clutch and slave are all in the car which would make it easier.

• 3 months later...

Well after thinking about it for way too long, I decided to dismantle the 533 rather than the seta. It is the better looking of the two runners I have but the seta is just plain worn out and the swap will take less time. The 533 has rust in many hidden areas but has lots of goodies. I will drive the seta (very reliable despite the looks) this winter and hope to have the 535 running soon. 

I have ordered and have received new sub frame bushings, dog bones, diff mount, CSB, engine gaskets ect... I am ready!!

I cancelled insurance on it this morning just to put in cement and deter me from changing my mind again. I have most all of the interior out. I am cleaning/installing the interior to save space and chance of damage due to just laying around. Space is still a problem.

It has taken a while but I am really hyped on this. Depending on work/free time I hope to have this running in two weeks.

Well it's coming along slow but sure. Interior all swapped and hope to have the engine out by mid week.

wowow_zpsa028732a.jpg

400x268xpufferSmile2.jpg.pagespeed.ic.OQ

I may take the valance off my seta...better shape and closer in color. I can't put the US diving board bumper on yet because of garage door clearance. 

What is the ultimate plan for this car again? M30/M20/5spd/Auto/Cruiser

glad to see progress.  love the E28

Great now I need to get my rear in gear on the clutch work, Mike here is building a whole car for the meet and I haven't finished mine for last years...

I am not really "building" but am swapping parts and taking care of maintenance items at the same time. It is going slow due to other business that needs tending to. It's going pretty smooth and no problems yet. 

Today I am going to swap the spare tire and trunk carpet :). Oh yea, there is a weight back there too. 

• 2 weeks later...

I ran into my first problem Sunday. I knew it was not going to go all smooth and easy. 

As it turns out my 8/84 build date for my 533i uses the old style diff mount that was used on the E12 and 633's. All I need as a newer style diff cover. 

The 533 also uses a different sway bar in the rear. I think I can remove and weld the brackets to make it work. If I cannot I will be looking for a rear sway bar also. 

Things are not going as quick as I had planned. Have been working more hours the last few weeks and less time in the shop. I will make it to the meet but it may be in my Battle Bimmer (Seta aka Niles). 

I sure hope this does not turn into a "Winter Project" but if it does I will change the way it is going back together. Right now I am not painting everything like I would like to, just cleaning. This may change. 

Still stripping the 533i and hope to get it out of the shop soon. I am taking everything I can off of it for spare parts before going BMW heaven. 

I should have an extra 528e sway bar somewhere. i dont know the differences on the brackets though but mine would be off a '86.

I have to do some checking. I am not sure if the sway bar is different but I know the brackets are. 82 - 9/84 had a different mount. I will get a few pics tomorrow night.

I made some progress last night. I finally got everything set up for the pull.

1_zpsd9125c51.jpg

The the beast came out. The M30 is huge. I does not look that big in the engine bay. I love all 3.4 liters. 

2_zps0da5484a.jpg

I also picked up a used M5 clutch and pressure plate from TDC that will be going in and I will be keeping the old for a spare. The current clutch was replace 4,700 miles ago and is still like new :).

Dont scrap the core support, could sell that for $100 if its clean.

From what ive ready on mye28 its pretty difficult to get the m30 with trans in/out. Motor is much taller than a M20, needs more swing down low.

Mike the garage looks great! Must've sold the trans am and i like that plate on the wall :) that hoist is a tank.