WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Best way to drain an E30 fuel tank?

ClassE

Question

Anyone know the best way to drain the fuel tank in a 89 325IS? Is the fuel outlet off the side if the tank where I can pull the "send" line, or do I have to pull the line an jumper a relay?

Any help would be great, if it's jumper the relay an help with the "do-this and this" would be great as I suck with electrical. Thanks!!!

10 answers to this question

bmw-3series-e30-burnout.jpg

Ask andyhundley, he just replaced his tank. If it were me, i would disconnect the downstream line on the fuel filter ( located just forward of the driver rear tire, and drain it into some buckets with the relay jumpered. I dont know the pins right off hand but I will research.

shouldn't there be a drain hole? i know there is one on my gas tank. if there isn't a drain hole just disconnect hoses and don't smoke. 

That is what I thought? Luckily you didn't need to use it and a jack stand did it for you=) Sorry John, couldn't resist

I want sure if E30 were a "tank in pump" setup where the access/holes were on top of the tank, or if they used an inline filter that would use a bung on the tank (then I could just pull the send line and empty the tank).

I'll look for a drain tonight then, unless some one can tell me a good way to jumper the pump relay )since I'm pulling the line into the filter anyways).

large tank e30's (with transfer tube and single in tank pump)  drain plug on the passenger side.  takes an allen. do not take off the transfer tube (below the driveshaft) as it will most likely crimp the tube. 

small tank e30's (dual pumps in tank ...one on each side)  should be on the same side.