WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Yet ANOTHER Noob from Milwaukee -- Looking to replace suspension

xgeetx

Hey WIBimmers. I recently moved to Milwaukee, and am (finally) doing much needed maintenance on my '98 328i. I just started a new job, but instead of getting a new car I decided I like it too much. I got a couple inspections and she's in need of a lot of repairs... I bought it at 140k, and now at 167k not much maintenance has been done (if any... but the radiator is missing top mounting clips, so I imagine the owner lied about never doing ANYTHING... oh well, needs to be swapped out now!). The main issues are cooling system, suspension, and tires. Would you guys recommend dedicated winters?

This weekend I'll be swapping out the coolant system (hoses, pump, thermostat, the works). I've never done anything besides spark plugs or oil change, so this should be fun! I'll be following a couple guides, so it shouldn't be too bad. Probably about 2 weeks from now (since I still need to do some shopping and ordering), I'll be having a go at my shocks and struts... it sounded like the rest of my suspension can go another year or more, but the shocks and struts are BAD. For this one I'm a little more nervous doing it on my own, but I really don't want to pay a mechanic as I want to save money, and I want to learn. Is there anybody in the Milwaukee region (preferably with a driveway ;) ) that has this kind of experience that wants a reason to get their hands dirty :)?

I'm probably going to go through with it no matter what, and possibly check out the HandsOnGarage.com to use their lifts, tools, and expertise if I get into a pinch. Anybody have any experience with the shop over there?

Glad I found this forum!!!

BTW: I didn't know where else to post this (maybe reddit, or bimmerforums), but I shelled out the cash for the spanner wrench and clutch removal tool to help with some of the radiator work... if anybody else in the region wants to borrow them just let me know! I'd much rather you give me a beer, than pay $70 for the tools... but supposedly they make the job MUCH easier.

Good to meet everyone!

Welcome=)

I would most likely be able to help you install suspension. I have removed and installed mine many times=) I would recommend Raceland coilovers instead of getting struts. You then have the height adjustability you may want down the road, and they ride/handle well for the price.

Hey guys! Either of you from Milwaukee?

Also, I don't really have any interest in adjusting my height, so I'd prefer to save money and get something else :). Are something like Bilstein HD too rough for a daily driver, or would they be a nice change from bouncey and give me many many miles? Otherwise I was looking at Sachs, KYB, or Monroes (although bimmerforums has a vendetta against monroes for some reason....). But yeah, basically I'm open except don't want to spend more money for height adjustability... but at the same time... if my shocks are bad, has my car been sitting low anyways? Maybe it would end up higher than i'd like :P

BTW: I didn't know where else to post this (maybe reddit, or bimmerforums), but I shelled out the cash for the spanner wrench and clutch removal tool to help with some of the radiator work... if anybody else in the region wants to borrow them just let me know! I'd much rather you give me a beer, than pay $70 for the tools... but supposedly they make the job MUCH easier.

Welcome! Post up an ad in the services offered/wanted forum, this actually gives me an idea of starting a tool directory  :cool:

Hey guys! Either of you from Milwaukee?

Also, I don't really have any interest in adjusting my height, so I'd prefer to save money and get something else :). Are something like Bilstein HD too rough for a daily driver, or would they be a nice change from bouncey and give me many many miles? Otherwise I was looking at Sachs, KYB, or Monroes (although bimmerforums has a vendetta against monroes for some reason....). But yeah, basically I'm open except don't want to spend more money for height adjustability... but at the same time... if my shocks are bad, has my car been sitting low anyways? Maybe it would end up higher than i'd like :P

I live in Cudahy and would also be willing to assist too. Bilstein HD's are meant to be OEM replacements, Bilstein Sports are what would give you the stiffer ride and make pot holes dreadful. Even if you don't want the adjust-ability, the racelands offer a comfortable ride for their value.

Awesome! Way faster and better responses than I expected, I must admit. Any of you guys have flat places to work on cars? I don't want to be too mooch-ey, so I'd be willing to get my own jack stands... My driveway is tiny and a bit slanted, so I don't think it's worth the damage to my hubs for her to fall off the stands. If nobody has a place, I was thinking of renting one of the lifts at onhandgarage north of Wawatosa for $30/hr (or maybe it's $36)... if I were alone though I may end up paying the mechanic price anyways!

Man, this makes me want to order the struts and shocks ASAP :)

How much are you looking at paying for shocks and stuts? I live in West Bend but the garage I have my car at is in Milwaukee=) There are defibitely flat spots to work on. Also, new shocks and struts would cause it to sit highers if yours are blown out at the moment.

Mkoepp: I definitely appreciate the offer, but don't know that before Friday night is long enough! (But I don't really know how long this is supposed to take to do all 4 corners).

Earl: I would say that ~$800 is my max, but lower is better... only because that'd be the cost of bilstein HD's + BavAuto springs (a recommendation from BimmerForums). I think that's a little excessive for my needs (daily driving). That's why I was also pricing out some Monroe shocks/struts/springs... but the consensus there is that they don't seem to last very long.

After ordering some radiator components from FCPEuro, they are supposedly going to put together a suspension kit for me to take a look at that includes some Sachs struts/shocks... we'll see what the pricepoint is on that.

Should I pick up a lift & jack stands or do you have some at your garage :)? What about that nifty BMW jack pad? Should I grab one of those?

If your price point is that high then I definitely recommend Raceland Ultimos. http://www.racelandus.com/coilovers/bmw-coilover-kits/bmw-e36-ultimo-coilovers.html

Even there normal kit isn't bad and it is $30 less. http://www.racelandus.com/coilovers/bmw-coilover-kits/bmw-e36-coilovers.html

Shipping is also fair from them. I had Rokkors (basically stiffer normal Racelands) on my compact and drove them as low as they could go and my car rode way better than it did before changing my struts=)

I have jacks, stands, and the tools to do it. No need for the jack pad. I have low profile jacks and your car is at stock height. I got this jacked up driving onto blocks and using a low profile so you will be just fine.

amazing2.jpg

Hmmm. Like I said, I don't have any interest in lowering my car, other than what the springs I purchase lower it. That being said, that strut/shocks/springs set is dirt cheap. Do the spring that comes with coilovers require any other springs? Why is this set so cheap? I don't see much information about what parts are in that kit, do you know the manufacturer of those struts/shocks/springs?

My price point isn't really that high, that's an absolutely maximum... and would prefer something $300-$500... which puts these guys right in there. I've read that the bilsteins will take you far past 40k miles, do you know anything about these ones quality-wise? I also want to be careful not to change anything too much and then need to buy spring pads, or special tires/wheel spacers (I don't actually know when those are needed, just saying words)... Just want my car to ride really well :)

On the topic of jack pads, PelicanParts made it sound like it's difficult to put the jack stands on after jacking it up, since the lift uses the same jack points. Do you jack from the front/back to do it then?

Edited by xgeetx

Those are direct bolt in coilovers. Nothing else is required to install them. Raceland is the manufacturer. The Ultimos are higher quality than the normal ones. I had mine on for roughly 20k miles and I had them absolutely bottomed out. Neither one of them was blown when I removed them. I can see the Ultimos lasting you at least 40k miles, especially if you have them raised to stock height with helper springs installed.

You won't need to buy new spring pads, tires, or spacers either. Spring pads are useless in my mind and I never ran them on my car, but these will not hurt them. You shouldn't run into any clearance issues between the tire and coilover since they are smaller in overall diameter than the stock struts with their large spring seat.

The Raceland Ultimos would ride very well and handle good for what you are looking for.

Also, you don't have to put jack stands under the jack pads. I actually look at that being very unsafe since they're so small. I usually put them on the lollipops in front and on the subframe mounts in the rear.

Damn, I want to resist and not get coilovers simply because lowering isn't my priority... but they're so cheap! What all should I get along with them? I'm assuming that replacing my strut and shock mounts is necessary... anything else?

Oh wait, what is that about helper springs? How much cost are those going to add? I imagine since my shock/struts and springs are worn out, my car is sitting a bit lower, and I like the look that it is... but I can figure out what I prefer later when these suckers are installed! Alright, so it sounds like I'll be picking between Raceland coilovers + helper springs, whatever kit FCPeuro puts up (Sachs), and Bilsteins + BavAuto springs (which say they lower it ~1 1/4")

Your front strut mounts should be fine but the rears should be done. I believe e46 convertible shock mounts are the good thing to get for the rear. I forget.

Helper springs come on the coilovers=) You don't need to purchase anything extra to install them. No need to resist coilovers because they are a great upgrade for the price. Down the road you may decide you want to go a tiny bit lower to make the car handle better (less body roll). I believe the Racelands will be your best idea for this.

Do you find yourself needing to improve handling for daily driving? I guess my handling has never been an issue, even when my front end is bouncing through turns =)

I agree they seem fantastically priced... I'm wondering if I don't EVER adjust my height (which I agree, I want it a bit lower than stock, but can get that with lowering springs like H&R), are they still a good value in terms of the quality of the shocks and struts? I just want to make sure I"m not paying for height adjustability, I want to be paying for quality shocks! I also want to be absolutely certain these will go on without a snap, no other modded components needed...

Thanks for all your help and patience!

Alright, Earl, I think you sold me. I've been doing some research and it sounds like they're great for a cheap set. I have one worry: speed bumps. It sounds like they have to lower at least 1"... how low before speed bumps start screwing up your car? I already have some torn pieces underneath my car (do I just get those welded, or just not car?), and don't want it to get much worse :).

I think I'd like to replace the mounts all around, since I'm pretty sure this car went 167k on one set of struts, it's probably best to swap out whatever is easy to do while we're in there! I imagine that means mounts & bump stops... anything else that's a good idea to pick up? Also, I can't believe the springs are so thin! The stock ones (at least on the back) are huge.

Alright. Raceland's shipping is like $40??! Come on now! I'll be doing some last minute comparing this weekend to determine what I want to buy :). When would you be available to get together? Why do you have a garage in milwaukee? Are you going to murder me? What would you like for compensation :)?

Why do i get e46 m3 convertible mounts for my e36 non-m? More durable? they'll still fit?

Edit: I'm a little concerned about clearance after seeing this http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1480398-Help-with-installing-coilovers

Was he running non-stock tires? I'll get the numbers off the sides of my tires to be absolutely sure what I've got. Also, I don't see the bump stops on there... and I'd like to replace the stock ones, can you clarify how they're on there somehow? Also, what exactly is the difference between the helper springs and the normal springs? Sorry for all the questions, I really want to understand what's going in my car, and I don't see how these coilovers are equivalent to what I've been shopping for this whole time! I'm warming up to them though

Thanks!