WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Future of ///M cars....

e92boost

Part of speech from big head at M division:

"Lastly, we can stop expecting bespoke engines from the M division in the future. Though they will still have standalone engines, the future of M models will be built on BMW AG engines, though they will be tuned for more performance, catering to the M customers. But we’ll no longer be seeing special engines built specifically for M models."

...... Sad :(

But, not surprising. Happened in the past to M cars. Upgraded versions of current motors.

I think I the newest BMW I would buy is an e39.  I do not want one that has stuff that only the dealer has access to.

Well. E46s would be the case then? Maybe e90/e92

I did diy on EVERYTHING on my last e92 335i. Got the parts at local shop.

Most likely f10 or f30 chassis are new enough where you have to go to dealer from parts.

Sounds like this would probably kill off any M1 successor too which is sad. Its cool they are putting out a lot more M Performance parts but that might be the only future of the entire M division :(  

i had a feeling about this... looking back just a few weeks ago at M performance parts.. tunes, exhaust, suspension and now even LSD as a option coming soon!! (finally) future of M3 will be lego'd together.. 

The R&D cost is getting higher than the premium that can be tacked onto the M cars.  A lot of this can be blamed on certifications and such that are required of the car companies.  A limited special engine has to meet all the same criteria as the ho-him mass production lump.  It also counts for the same amount in the Fuel economy average, regardless of production numbers.

The world governments are killing the M Cars.

That being said, BMW does have room in it's line up for a legitimate exotic super car.....I think the M1 could still be a reality.

cant we just go back to when traction control, abs, and air bags were optional? We managed to live without them then, what makes a congressman say yes I want all these cars to weigh more than a damn whale with all these features that must be standard we do have a head on our shoulders and can still think for ourselves... I speak for most of us, those who disagree go buy a prius.

The 'standard' features are the car manufacturers fault....thinking that is what we want.  The other stuff, airbags, crash ratings, fuel mileage, those are al lfrom the gov't

I really don't see it ever changing.

Someone asked me why we have 35mpg cars in the 90's and that is still considered high.  I said, the engines have gotten a TON more efficient, but the cars weigh twice as much.  Put a modern engine in a 90's era econobox and you'd have a speed machine that got 50 miles per gallon.

The 'standard' features are the car manufacturers fault....thinking that is what we want.  The other stuff, airbags, crash ratings, fuel mileage, those are al lfrom the gov't

I really don't see it ever changing.

Someone asked me why we have 35mpg cars in the 90's and that is still considered high.  I said, the engines have gotten a TON more efficient, but the cars weigh twice as much.  Put a modern engine in a 90's era econobox and you'd have a speed machine that got 50 miles per gallon.

Speed machine with mileage is very possible that way. I have a friend with a mk1 rabbit that has a built 1.9 diesel motor out of a mk3 jetta. It is insanely quick and gets 40-60mpg I believe.

The R&D cost is getting higher than the premium that can be tacked onto the M cars.  A lot of this can be blamed on certifications and such that are required of the car companies.  A limited special engine has to meet all the same criteria as the ho-him mass production lump.  It also counts for the same amount in the Fuel economy average, regardless of production numbers.

The world governments are killing the M Cars.

That being said, BMW does have room in it's line up for a legitimate exotic super car.....I think the M1 could still be a reality.

If world government is killing the M cars. Why is AMG just getting better and better? It's all about cost effectiveness to produce.

If world government is killing the M cars. Why is AMG just getting better and better? It's all about cost effectiveness to produce.

I don't agree with that.  We are looking at AMG as a 'graas is greener' sort of thing.  True Merc enthusiasts are probably saying the same things we are about their brand.