WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

The M4

Earl

I think they still keep true to that on the few NA motors they make. (someone correct me if I'm wrong) But with the FI motors they name it with the displacement the engine would need to be, if it were NA.

From what I've read, this point forward the "displacement" numbers in the naming of vehicles will be the same from here on out. By next year in the North American market BMW will have all NA engines phased out of the line up and will only be offering 4 basic engines: 2.0l I4, 2.0l I4 diesel, 3.0l I6 and 4.4 V8. The specific name of the model will depend on the tune of the engine for example the 320i is just a detuned 328i, same with a 535i vs 640i sharing the I6.

Badges aside, I'm excited for the M4 considering the F30 chassis is incredibly engineered and well balanced. As much as I love the out going S65, it's awesome to have a straight six back, and it sounds sexy in the video :D

I'm totally ready to embrace the turbo motors.  This isn't new for BMW, the've played around with turbo mills for years.  No naming is what really chaffes my ass.  I really don't like the headlights touching the grille, and I may never like it, but design evolves and some like it some don't.  The naming convention change is unforgiveable.

I know your trying to be ironic and funny, but seriously, what would have been so hard about calling it a 319?  If they want to do something like that, do it right.  Otherwise just have the 3 and offer it with different engine options.  BMW took a cool idea and wrecked it.

I wasn't trying to be funny :(

• 1 month later...

Bean Counters and Marketing.  BMW used to be straight forward....if it said 325i on the back it was a 2.5L engine in a 3 series.  They fucked that up.

Then they started adding all the different series, stopped putting the same size engine in that matched the name, etc.

Actually in the early 80s, the 320i was a 1.8l also the 325 and 325e up until 88 are 2.7l. I believe the e12 also had something similar, like a 3.0l 528?

It really never was clear.

Actually in the early 80s, the 320i was a 1.8l also the 325 and 325e up until 88 are 2.7l. I believe the e12 also had something similar, like a 3.0l 528?

It really never was clear.

528e was the 2.7l M20 also, E12 528i was a M30B28 though. Same motor as my E28 528i. 533i's are M30B32, 535i's are M30B34, so yeah it was never followed the rule exactly.

The M3/M4 having a straight six turbo motor is going to get the same reaction from enthusiast as when they announced that the e36 M3 would have a bored over 2.8 motor with better cams, people will start calling it "not a real M car" M cars have never shared the same power plant with any other bmw except for the US M3 which they saw huge sale drops and enthusiasts dislike, that's why the e46 got the euro engine, think about it every M car ever made in Germany has had ITB's and high hp high revving na motor, basically the new M5 is a big brake body kitted 550i to the tune of an extra 30,000, the M3/M4 will be a body kitted bigger wheeled 335I to the tune of an extra 14,000