WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

The M4

Earl

I like the whole look besides the wheels. I really don't think they fit the aggression of the car. It needs some concave, lip, or both. I am also iffy about the fender vents, but the body line coming off of them makes them fit in a little better.

I can't get over how bad and unfinished looking that hood line is, its all I see. Oh and the Ford Focus side vents are terrible. Other than that, it does look pretty good over all

I didn't see that until you mentioned it...I dislike it as well.

I love the overall look of the car.  Side vents.....meh, I get them, but don't love them.

But....

WHY. THE. FUCK. DO. THE. HEADLIGHTS. TOUCH. THE. GRILLES?

That design cue destroys the entire iconic look of the BMW.  I hated when they introduced the new 3 series with it. 

Bean Counters and Marketing.  BMW used to be straight forward....if it said 325i on the back it was a 2.5L engine in a 3 series.  They fucked that up.

Then they started adding all the different series, stopped putting the same size engine in that matched the name, etc.

I think they still keep true to that on the few NA motors they make. (someone correct me if I'm wrong) But with the FI motors they name it with the displacement the engine would need to be, if it were NA. 

I think they still keep true to that on the few NA motors they make. (someone correct me if I'm wrong) But with the FI motors they name it with the displacement the engine would need to be, if it were NA. 

I believe the e36 and e46 323i were screwballs since they were actually 2.5's  

Then you can count the e30 325e and it being a 2.7 as well. 

I think the e23 745i turbo had some logic to it even though it had a 3.3 or 3.5L engine since the turbo gave it the volumetric capacity of a 4.5

I believe the e36 and e46 323i were screwballs since they were actually 2.5's  

Then you can count the e30 325e and it being a 2.7 as well. 

I think the e23 745i turbo had some logic to it even though it had a 3.3 or 3.5L engine since the turbo gave it the volumetric capacity of a 4.5

Yeah that's very true... Either way calling the most iconic BMW, an M4 is probably the stupidest thing they have ever done with a name 

Bean Counters and Marketing.  BMW used to be straight forward....if it said 325i on the back it was a 2.5L engine in a 3 series.  They fucked that up.

Then they started adding all the different series, stopped putting the same size engine in that matched the name, etc.

like my 318 that is actually a 319. They should just sell 319 badges to "correct" those jerks.

like my 318 that is actually a 319. They should just sell 319 badges to "correct" those jerks.

I know your trying to be ironic and funny, but seriously, what would have been so hard about calling it a 319?  If they want to do something like that, do it right.  Otherwise just have the 3 and offer it with different engine options.  BMW took a cool idea and wrecked it.

I know your trying to be ironic and funny, but seriously, what would have been so hard about calling it a 319?  If they want to do something like that, do it right.  Otherwise just have the 3 and offer it with different engine options.  BMW took a cool idea and wrecked it.

They wrecked the 3

...wrecked 3

...REKIII

:mellow: 

I rarely like the current models of BMW's. it typically takes me several years to decide I like them...

That said, I can not get over the change in series naming. I really am losing interest in new BMW's by each generation change.

Lots of good comments here. One I didn't immediately pick up on was the headlights meeting the kidney grills. I think that's important to note and see just how far we're moving away from our heritage.

When all signs started pointing towards forced induction for new BMWs I felt the same way, especially upon hearing the new M3  (ahem....M4) would also be a turbocharged mill. 

Then I read an article about it and someone made a great point. 

Turbocharging the M3....faack... M4 is not "breaking away from tradition" as much as I previously thought. 

BMW has always installed the engine best suited for that particular chassis given the current  feasible road-car technology available at the time. 

For the E30 it was a 16v 4cylinder 

E36 it was a 24v I6 with variable Nockenwellensteuerung
E46 was dual 
variable Nockenwellensteuerung and amazing hp/L figures for an emissions compliant car

E92 was an alloy 32v V8 (in the midst of some serious horsepower wars whilst aiming to keep weight down and handling intact)

and now the Fwhatever chassis is getting a turbo and direct injection, along with the latest advancements in cam timing technology. Realistically it is the only way to keep up with the current and future horsepower wars  while achieving acceptable emissions and economy figures. 

so, I want to embrace change and new technology + designs as a good thing, which they are, but for me, the E30 chassis is something that I can have more fun in because if nothing else, I can afford to blow the engine and trans and install them myself without fuss. unlike the $25,000 replacement V10 in the M5 a former co-worker shelled out when the warranty coverage was denied.