WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E30 timing belt

6670charger

Question

Have an 88 E30 325i that is due for a new timing belt soon. I've heard that this should be replaced about every 50K miles. I'm at about 47K since the last time it was changed.

How difficult is this to swap? I'm handy enough with a wrench and have done a bunch of suspension work on older BMWs, but, I'm no ASE certified mechanic either. Any pointers for a first time timing belt changer?

Thanks.

12 answers to this question

Not a full rundown on what needs to be done, but perhaps a few pointers that the repair manual won't specify:

-Remove the hood for ease of access to the timing belt area.

-Ensure engine is at TDC as need4speed mentioned

-Cooling fan has reverse threads. A thin bicycle headset wrench can be used to remove it, if you are having issues removing the fan and are certain you are aware of the reverse threads, then apply force with the palm of your hand on the v-belt and hit the wrench with a mallot to break it free.

-Replace water pump while you are in there

-Use a very small amount of gray RTV on the water pump gasket to prevent RTV from squeezing into the water passages and potentially clogging the radiator or heater core. The repair manuals I have seen do not mention RTV and many people will say you dont need it, but it doesn't hurt. I had to redo a timing belt job because it just didnt seal well enough without RTV.

-Dont lose the tensioner spring when you remove the existing tensioner. It can shoot off to some dark abyss.

-When fitting the belt, start on the cam gear and move clockwise. Keep the belt tight as you work it around back to the tensioner and make every effort to only have slack on the tensioner side of the belt. This will help ensure that the belt goes on easily and that the engine doesnt go out of time on its own.

-Rotate the engine 2 revolutions and re-check the timing marks before putting everything back together.

My first M20 timing belt job took 6 hours due to just taking my time and cleaning every part that I removed before re-installing it.

The second time I did it, it was a 2.5 hour job.

Replacing the cam seal and even the crank seal would be a good idea while you are in there also