WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Need something water-jet/laser/plasma cut. Anyone?

straight6pwr

Working on my bi-xenon retrofit and am going to make an adapter plate. I'd love to make it in steel, but cutting it myself with a dremel, sawzall, and a drill press will take ages. I could set up my bandsaw with a good metal blade, but at that point I might as well pay to have someone else do it. Does anyone here have access to or work with a water jet/laser/plasma than can cut out my CAD drafted parts? Free would be sweet, but I would obviously pay for the service.

They are just two small pieces, both 4" round on 1/8" thick plate. Maybe two other small optional parts depending on price.

Thanks.

Edited by straight6pwr

My dad sells large laser/router/knife cutting systems for various industrial purposes. They should be getting their demo machine in soon which would be able to route anything in metal, the laser cutter won't be coming for a while though. I think he told me it can do up to 1/4"? Maybe 1/2? And I'm sure you could get it done for free too minus material costs of course.

My dad sells large laser/router/knife cutting systems for various industrial purposes. They should be getting their demo machine in soon which would be able to route anything in metal, the laser cutter won't be coming for a while though. I think he told me it can do up to 1/4"? Maybe 1/2? And I'm sure you could get it done for free too minus material costs of course.

sounds great, but what kind of time frame? can you use a router for sheets of steel?

Yeah I wouldn't use nylon... Hit a bump in the cold just right, it'll crack. And heat will soften it up, even the slightest, but going over bumps in the road will pull and push the headlight, pulling it down

i also dont like the idea that some nylons, when heated to where they create smoke, release cyanide. (at least thats what wiki says)

Guest midwest

We dont have a laser at work but i do run a cnc turret machine. that would be a fairly easy part to punch out.. i can run .125 material no problem and get it at scrap price. we have aluminized galvanized galvanealed hot roll and 304/316 stainless.. The only down side to punching is it leaves a small bur. I would need exact dimmensions.. this machine is accurate to .0001 price.. a few bucks for material and pay shipping.

We dont have a laser at work but i do run a cnc turret machine. that would be a fairly easy part to punch out.. i can run .125 material no problem and get it at scrap price. we have aluminized galvanized galvanealed hot roll and 304/316 stainless.. The only down side to punching is it leaves a small bur. I would need exact dimmensions.. this machine is accurate to .0001 price.. a few bucks for material and pay shipping.

sent you a PM.

• 3 months later...