WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

M20 Turbo => M50 turbo fun.

Rowleym

I run an HX35 on a 2.5 liter motor and it's a good match. I would also likely run the same size turbo on a 2.7 liter motor as long as my HP goals were similar. You are giving up good street manners and ultimately power by going too large. Can you sell the HX40 and buy something smaller? I am not trying to be a dick and rain on your parade, I am genuinely trying to help. I have a lot of turbo car experience. Lowering the RPMs for full boost by even 400 really makes a big difference. I had a t3/t04e before the HX and it spooled slower, my car is so much more fun to drive with the HX on it.

Evan

Edited by 240sxguy
Clarity

I run an HX35 on a 2.5 liter motor and it's a good match. I would also likely run the same size turbo on a 2.7 liter motor as long as my HP goals were similar. You are giving up good street manners and ultimately power by going too large. Can you sell the HX40 and buy something smaller? I am not trying to be a dick and rain on your parade, I am genuinely trying to help. I have a lot of turbo car experience. Lowering the RPMs for full boost by even 400 really makes a big difference. I had a t3/t04e before the HX and it spooled slower, my car is so much more fun to drive with the HX on it.

Evan

Thanks man I appreciate it. Well if I didn't have to pay anything extra I would trade for a hx35 anyday, but I just found a deal I couldn't resist. Maybe some day I will try to get some cummins nut to trade me. Know anyone who wants a hx40? Im totally down for trades, but I couldn't find a hx35 in the first place, so I went with this.

Awesome dude, you will be very happy with the HX35 if you can get a hold of one.

I'll get back to you on the HX35 potential. I can tell you they'll make 500 wheel all day long as long as you're ready to run large boost numbers. There have been reports of boost creep with some cars trying to run "low boost" on the internal gate. I run an external gate, so I am just going by what I have heard. I have a 28psi spring in my wastegate on my 240sx. Yes, it's an E85 car. My advice would be to leave a place/space where you can add an external gate in the future if needed.

Might have traded for a hx35 today. Also, sold my wheels so now I have 800$ to spend. Buying a wideband for 100, need to get some studs, that's another 230+ 50 for gasket. Leaves me with about 400 for a cheap eBay clutch and some machining haha.

What wheels were they?

they were some chrome VW aristos. They were on that Green jetta i posted. Just bought an AEM wideband. Trying to get my hands on some ARP Head studs. The guy said he will get back to me on the HX35 tomorrow. Questions. 1.) Should I make my own manifold adapter for my turbo build? I have access to a TIG welder and everything, but I can only weld mig. My family owns a tool and die shop. There is a tubular one being sold for around 180$ on r3v right now. it has a 38mm wastegate port, and an UNDIVIDED t4(i think?)

2.) anyone interested in oringing there blocks around here? I'm thinking about renting the isky "groove-o-matic" and having it for a bit and helping out the community. haha.