WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E28 535i turbo build.

Brian.

So, I'm pulling my motor this fall shortly after this October 20th meet. Figure I'd look into a turbo build.

Here's my list so far, I'm slowly piecing this together, its my first boosted build, so any input would be appreciated.

Parts to get:

B35 head

Turbo

custom exhaust manifold (Skunks speed shop can weld me up a good one for cheaper then I can buy)

plated off intake, with a reverse entry so it doesn't go over the block.

65lb injectors

megasquirt II

MSD 6a

intercooler+ piping.

walbro 255l fuel pump

(If I'm missing something, or any suggestions, lmk!)

Hoping this can be done for less then a turbo kit. Because TCD's turbo kit is $3800, and a gain of 50hp. Not worth it in my opinion.

Anything I'm missing?

• 2 weeks later...

Piecing together a kit is going to be a pain in the ass. Good luck. Keep track of how much you spend. Id like to know and what it puts down on the dyno. Also make sure you get a 2500 stall converter or its going to be pretty pointless with yout factory auto. Just to clarify todd(tcd) broke 2 auto trans before he swapped to a manual.

You sure? TCD's turbo 535i has an auto, unless they haven't updated their website. I plan on switching to a getrag 265 here eventually.

No i just make these things up LoL. When john moliter was talking about me knowing a guy in m30 turbos besides my own he was talking about Todd owner of TCD. He is a good friend of mine and use to live in Milwaukee up till about a year ago. So yes I am very familiar with his set up and car. Also he doesnt even have a m30 anymore and hasn't had one in over a year. He now swapped in a LSX single turbo into his e28.

No i just make these things up LoL. When john moliter was talking about me knowing a guy in m30 turbos besides my own he was talking about Todd owner of TCD. He is a good friend of mine and use to live in Milwaukee up till about a year ago. So yes I am very familiar with his set up and car. Also he doesnt even have a m30 anymore and hasn't had one in over a year. He now swapped in a LSX single turbo into his e28.

Didn't know, I was only verifying, because their webpage said differently. But thank you.

You're telling that to someone with no welding or balancing experiance/ tools ;)

I can balance pretty well on my left foot though.. :cool::cool:

Lol, Any shop can cut off one end, and put on a diffferent end. It's not too hard.

DIYPNP is alright, if you know what you're doing. Alot of performance shops hate megasquirt, just a heads up. But good shit dude. Also, a HX40, is way to big for your M20. I'm pretty sure the M30 would have a hard time spooling it. Unless you go an entirely built motor. Which is big bucks. My build is on the bench at the moment. A few things came up sadly.